Breaking News

Tesco's , Lord Bedlington, new scoreboards, painted pub, cleaned up Tallantyres...............hey, Bedlington will be mistaken for Morpeth within weeks!

On a serious note, Weatherspoons will work as it will attract more locals who dont go drinking in Bedlington now.The Wharton will therefore benefit from spillover and gradually things will improve down the street in other pubs.

Whats going to happen to the Ridge Farm though?Surely they are going to be priced out. Someone told me that it was going to be an Indian restaurant.Any news on that?

Would be nice to have seen some efforts/publicity on more xmas lights going up this year in Bedlington (and some old ones coming down such as those awful lampost ones)as that would have brought some feel good factor to the place and that along with the Red Lion opening would have been a great festivity. Can anyone ask Lord Bedlington to help out (and with the leccy bill)?

On a serious note, Weatherspoons will work as it will attract more locals who dont go drinking in Bedlington now.

This is something I've heard repeated in many quarters, and it does intrigue me. You have to ask who these locals are that don't go drinking in Bedlington now, and where they go, or if they go out at all. You also have to ask why that is, and why a Wetherspoons will suddenly offer them an opportunity they don't already have. I can see that some of the establishments are not attractive to certain clientele, yet the Tavern recently had a major league make-over and is very pleasant indeed. The Sun is a perfectly reasonable and tidy place to go for a pint, and the Northumberland is also a pleasant bar. What is it about Wetherspoons that will have all these people coming out ot of the woodwork to drink there? Is it the cheap beer? That's great, but the clubs offer cheap beer, so that's hardly the incentive that's going to change people's drinking habits. Is it the food? Great, too, decent, basic grub at a good price, I like that; but I'm only going to eat once in an evening.

My point may seem pessimistic - and in many ways it is - but I can't see where the trade is going to come from; Wetherspoons will attract the regular afternoon drinkers who frequent the Grapes, for instance, but only as long as they are allowed to remain there as they won't be able to behave as they do in the Grapes! It will attract th usual Friday and Saturday evening drinkers, like me, who will pop in for a pint, just like I do in most places, and it will certainly garner a Sunday lunch crowd. But draw people back, or out, who don't drink in Bedlington now? Why? Beer is still cheaper in Tesco's.

• Like 1

Merc,

What about the Bedlington punters going to the likes of the Snowy Owl, the Astley or the rest of the basic gastro pubs, there has to be quite a few?

This isn't a boozer, it's not trying to attract that client base in fact I would hazard a guess it will discourage the big drinkers the other pubs rely on. It's clear off those internal pics that's not what they are after.

I know this has nothing to do with Wetherspoons, but it is breaking news :D Booze Boosters are opening again under the name Bargain Booze. They are doing the shop out now hoping to open on Friday. Down side is they are fetching some 'Scousers' up to do the shop fitting! Are there no Shop Fitters around here? If they wanted a kitchen fitted I would of offered my services ;)

I'd just like to say well done to all the doom mongers on this site. It's the best thing to happen to bedlington in ages and already it's been written off. Most other places would make a concerted effort to get behind it and make it a success like my wife and I and our friends have already said.

For those said doom mongers, if u aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem, please keep your opinions to yourself and in doing so, do the image of this up and coming town a massive favour.

Neil I think that most people on here, in their weird and wonderful way, do support Wetherspoons, but, if everyone agreed without a bit of debate and discussion,airing their views, then it would be a little bit boring on here, don't you agree? I don't think that we are doom mongers, we are just putting a few points across and answering, in our own way, some points that regardless of personal opinion need discussing! I have views,other people have theirs and you have yours but that does not mean that we are against anything that is for the good of Bedlington. Sorry am rambling but I hope you get what I mean. Once again, Good luck to Wetherspoons and time will tell who, if anyone, was right!

• Like 1

Merc,

What about the Bedlington punters going to the likes of the Snowy Owl, the Astley or the rest of the basic gastro pubs, there has to be quite a few?

This isn't a boozer, it's not trying to attract that client base in fact I would hazard a guess it will discourage the big drinkers the other pubs rely on. It's clear off those internal pics that's not what they are after.

Absolutely, malcolm, it's not a boozer, it's not out to attract the drinkers, but that's what it's going to get in the first instance. I have no doubt a good few punters will go there for food, but can't see that being enough trade to sustain it.

neil wrote:

"I'd just like to say well done to all the doom mongers on this site. It's the best thing to happen to bedlington in ages and already it's been written off. Most other places would make a concerted effort to get behind it and make it a success like my wife and I and our friends have already said.

For those said doom mongers, if u aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem, please keep your opinions to yourself and in doing so, do the image of this up and coming town a massive favour."

First, those whose opinion doesn't tally with yours have every right to express it; I haven't been in any way offensive in putting my views across, and neither have I written off the Red Lion. I simply do not see where all this much mooted business is going to come from. A few months back the Market Tavern, after its make over, began providing a much publicised Sunday Dinner; it was round a fiver, choice of roasts, great food, I tried it and loved it. It lasted a few weeks before the manageress knocked it on the head because it wasn't worth it. Not enough people were coming in. Why is Wetherspoons going to be any different? I can't see a reason. Yes, it's somewhere new, and yes, people are always intrigued by that, but for how long?

The other part of the above I don't understand is why the Red Lion opening again is 'the best thing to happen to Bedlington in ages'? It's just another pub that sells food. It's hardly the second coming. I don't know, as it happens, if you and your wife and friends currently frequent any of the pubs in Bedlington; I do, which makes me very much 'part of the solution'; if Wetherspoons wants trade it needs to be looking to those who do spend money in teh town, who do drink in the local pubs, and who do eat in local establishments rather than presenting a regimented ideal that doesn't allow standing at the bar, wants everyone secreted away in cubicles where they can gather in groups of four, and even discourages the bar staff from conversing with the punters unless they are serving them! I can't see many of those who do spend good money in bars doing so in the Red Lion, but all credit to Wetherspoons for rescuing the place.

I've been to spoons to day for dinner as I was one of the many that got free tickets to the pre-opening for a free meal and two free drinks. I was busy and well organised, just like many of the other spoons I've been to. The food was very good and a nice quick service. The staff were all nice and very friendly. This is just what Bedlington needs, somewhere for people to go without the binge drinkers, just to sit have a quiet chat with mates and some decent food if required. I for one will become a regular customer.

• Like 4

Be eaiser if you came along to Bedlington Forum/Partnership meetings Mr D.

Then there is the Town Council stuff but really you need Stephen or Dajazar discussing that.

Hi All,

Further to your comments I have asked Stephen to upload the minutes of the last meeting to this site, so that everyone can have a chance to see what was discussed at the meeting and perhaps to contribute at the next one.

I will try and get them updated following each meeting in future.

Sorry for the late reply due to work commitments.

Rdgs

Dajazar

• Like 2

Hi All,

Further to your comments I have asked Stephen to upload the minutes of the last meeting to this site, so that everyone can have a chance to see what was discussed at the meeting and perhaps to contribute at the next one.

I will try and get them updated following each meeting in future.

Sorry for the late reply due to work commitments.

Rdgs

Dajazar

I've put them as a new topic in the Public Announcements section (where the Town Council agendas go), they'll appear there when approved by a moderator.

Cheers

Stephen

I've been to spoons to day for dinner as I was one of the many that got free tickets to the pre-opening for a free meal and two free drinks. I was busy and well organised, just like many of the other spoons I've been to. The food was very good and a nice quick service. The staff were all nice and very friendly. This is just what Bedlington needs, somewhere for people to go without the binge drinkers, just to sit have a quiet chat with mates and some decent food if required. I for one will become a regular customer.

Claire,

I was there, too, yesterday afternoon and it was great. A lovely place, good food, decent beer, and of course it was busy - it was free! The staff (many of whom I know from other places) were, as you say, friendly and nice, just as they are in any other pub you can walk into in Bedlington, and this is half my point: I'm not singling you out, and nor am I disagreeing with you as I will - as I've always said - be having a pint in the Lion, but do you drink in pubs, in Bedlington, on a regular basis? If you honestly think that it's all 'binge drinkers' I doubt you do. No offence intended, but with a bar open all day, with cheap beer on offer, who do you think it is going to attract? It will be those same people who currently drink during the day, who will be there because they want the benefit of paying less for their beer. These people, as I've tried to point out, will not last long in there, as they are not what the establishment wants. Who, after they've sorted the wheaat from the chaff in the firct couple of weeks, replaces them when they all trundle back to the Grapes/Bell/Wharton as they find that Wetherspoons is not what they want? This is what i'm getting at - where is the trade?

I enjoyed my meal yesterday - very good it was and the place is beautifully done out - but how is it going to get enough trade to stay alive when others are struggling?

I've just returned home after a visit to the Red Lion with my wife and I have to say that we both found the place just what we have always wanted in Bedlington. Although the place was very full and it proved difficult to get a seat, there was a very acceptable buzz about the place. Now before anyone gets on to me I know that this was the first night and it was bound to attract lots of people who were interested in seeing just what was on offer. Meals were doing a roaring trade and although we didn't partake in food a long look at the menu convinced us that they have their pricing structure and choice just right. As for liquid beverages, the selection of real ales was enough to make me very content and the price per pint even more content! Yes, I'll be back soon but next time I'll try earlier in the day and then later in the evening just to see how it's going to pan out. Best thing that has happened to Bedlington for a long time -all success to Wetherspoons.

Claire,

I was there, too, yesterday afternoon and it was great. A lovely place, good food, decent beer, and of course it was busy - it was free! The staff (many of whom I know from other places) were, as you say, friendly and nice, just as they are in any other pub you can walk into in Bedlington, and this is half my point: I'm not singling you out, and nor am I disagreeing with you as I will - as I've always said - be having a pint in the Lion, but do you drink in pubs, in Bedlington, on a regular basis? If you honestly think that it's all 'binge drinkers' I doubt you do. No offence intended, but with a bar open all day, with cheap beer on offer, who do you think it is going to attract? It will be those same people who currently drink during the day, who will be there because they want the benefit of paying less for their beer. These people, as I've tried to point out, will not last long in there, as they are not what the establishment wants. Who, after they've sorted the wheaat from the chaff in the firct couple of weeks, replaces them when they all trundle back to the Grapes/Bell/Wharton as they find that Wetherspoons is not what they want? This is what i'm getting at - where is the trade?

I enjoyed my meal yesterday - very good it was and the place is beautifully done out - but how is it going to get enough trade to stay alive when others are struggling?

Yes I drink in Bedlington nearly every weekend. My reference to the binge drinks were to the last days of the Lion, we used to drink in there every weekend till the end when it was just full of kids looking to get served. Once the Lion closed they started to spill into the Sun where we used to drink but we moved to the Tavern because of them.

Well me and Mrs Wanderer made our way up the street this evening to A) assess our local and B) enjoy steak Tuesday.

However the Lion was packed and ther was no room for standing never mind sitting for a meal........

Slightly disappointed we decided to frequent an excellent local indian resteraunt and a local pub which has always been trading in the MARKET place.

On reflection it was good news to see Red lion so busy and reminded me of years gone by. The knock on effect meant me and Mrs wanderer ended up spending our hard earned monies in established business further down the street.

In my eyes a win win for the local economy. Been a long while since we went for a meal and had a drink on a school night........lol

Looking forward to frequenting the Red lion when slightly less busy but glad to see having a positive effect on rest of front street..........

• Like 1

Yes I drink in Bedlington nearly every weekend. My reference to the binge drinks were to the last days of the Lion, we used to drink in there every weekend till the end when it was just full of kids looking to get served. Once the Lion closed they started to spill into the Sun where we used to drink but we moved to the Tavern because of them.

You're absolutely right, the Lion was very much like that in the past, and it is not - under Wetherspoons - going to go that way again, that much we can be sure of. What's wrong with the Tavern, I wonder? I didn't get to the Lion last night but passed and saw it was very busy, as to be expected, and good for them. I'm still struggling to get my head around the economics of it - how many staff were on last night?

Come on give us a break, it's been open less than a week. At least wait until the feel good factor has worn off before making assumptions.

I have it on good authority that the staffing levels will be greatly reduced over the coming weeks, yes even the period leading up to Christmas. Even Wetherspoons are planning ahead and know that the honeymoon period won't last!

This has nothing to do with doom and gloom, this is FACT.

By the way, and I'm not having a go :whistle: Should this 'New Thread' not be in 'Breaking News' The Red Lion thread! Am just mentionin', like, cos it seems that nee one seems t' be readin' any threads on here, an' jus' startin' random threads. If ye get me meanin' like :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

It is sometimes normal business practice to open a new venture with more staff than would be normally required to operate it , that way you can cut out any personnel that may not make the grade,it may seem harsh but you end up with good quality people you need to run a successful pub/restaurant. I was in the hospitality industry for almost 20 years so i have some idea. ;)

As one of the premier 'doom and gloom' merchants (albeit one who has concerns about the economics rather than the place itself) I feel it only right that I should report on my experience of the place. I was there on Friday night, it was packed, the beer was fine - and cheap - and the food OK but clearly frozen and microwaved (at the price I wouldn't expect anything else) and the staff were able and affable. The decor is great - they have done a lovely job of the redesign - but one thing that came immediately to my attention was the clientele; those in their on friday were mostly young, mostly pissed and mostly loud. Not the sprt of people some on here are professing to prefer as company. Of course, the obligatory trouble has already started - I have tales of fights in there, and outside, most every night, and the Salvation Army are absolutely up in arms about people parking in their car park and have involved the police. That's a problem I think everyone saw coming.

On the subject of the staff, I have absolutely no doubt they will halve the numbers they have and that will lead to some very pxxxxd off people; a good number of those whom I know have taken jobs there left part time bar jobs elsewhere to do so. They are not going to find those positions open for them as I am absolutely cerain they've all been filled already. Some way to please the locals, that is.

On the level, though, I'll probably go in for Sunday Lunch later, although the prospect of the carvery at the Ridge is also attractive, and Accolade has a good offer on at the moment so we'll see. I still ask - where is the general weekday trade going to come from? Many of the afternoon drinkers who promised me they were going there for th cheap beer, without a doubt, certainly, no chance otherwise, have been there and tried it and returned to their original watering holes the next day having declared it 'not to their taste'. No surprise there.

Merc, I saw the police there on friday night about 8. 'Spoons will have to sort this out if they want to keep the sort of clientele they are after. But the same as before this is a new thing for people and once they realise they cannot get away with such behaviour they'll go else where, but 'Spoons need to sort it quick before word of mouth spreads that it is full of drunken yobs! As for the parking I notice that residents of High Ridge will be far from happy with people parking outside their front doors and all up the back road to 'Spoons.

Come on Wetherspoons - pull your finger out and come down hard on the trouble makers - we don't want this pub spoiled by a handful of morons who can't take their beer. I've been in a couple of times and could almost see trouble brewing. Any unsuitable behaviour in my presence and I'll be off like a lot of other people - so let's have a concerted effort to nip things in the bud - PLEASE!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now