Breaking News

I may be speaking out of turn here, and I will stand to be corrected, but to answer your questions Mr D.

What is it?

It is an associated fund to the main one which saw the recent Market Place upgrades. (Like it or not that's the single biggest investment Bedders has had in a very long time, if ever!) It is targeted at shop fronts and offers owners co-funding towards improvement in the facades.

Who does it apply to?

Any of the 'commercial' premises in the Conservation Area.

Is everyone aware of it?

Everyone one of them had an explanatory visit or at the very least an offer to get involved.

BTW, I believe the Top Club has at last seen the light!

So Mr D it really only looks like there's nowt happening, there is a lot of work being done by people behind the scenes to turn the fortunes of the town around!

• Like 1

So Mr D it really only looks like there's nowt happening, there is a lot of work being done by people behind the scenes to turn the fortunes of the town around!

Great news!

This is the sort of thing that should be discussed on these forums. It keeps the public informed, and shows progress is being made to better the town.

Anything else going on that we don't know about?

Well we are all free to give an honest opinion of what is or what is not going to happen to the revitalised Red Lion - for Gods sake give Wetherspoons a chance, at least they have the guts to take on the place. I've tried all of the other pubs in town and care nothing for any of them, other than the North which is quite reasonable with normally a decent selection of beer. If I were the landlord or licensee of some of the nearby pubs I would be afraid - very afraid! - no body likes competition except the consumer.

Unfortunatly, i usually work during the times they are on, so no can do.

Shame a representative was not able to keep us updated here though.

'We' don't control the minutes of this meeting MR D or they would be uploaded here, believe me!

Next partnership meeting is the 23rd, I think, and I will post a rundown of the main points.

I do try and post the agendas in good time!

Mr D I want to reply to your criticism concerning this web site and as it concerns merc's last sentence it will have to be on the board and not a PM.

Local businesses, by and large, have consistently failed to take advantage of what a local site like this can offer, and that was from day one when 125 were asked if they wanted to put up a FREE advert and 3 or 4 responded. That was BEFORE the boards got going, about 13 years ago! I can understand it might not fit with every business model but mainly retailers and service providers turning down free advertising???????

It was always set up as a community site so little wonder the forums became the most popular part. Within that you have to realise there will be a cross section of our community represented with some being far more 'vocal and vociferous' than others and if you add in the use of pseudonyms and people's propensity to be critical and promote their own agendas small wonder some of the threads blow up sometimes.

ALL reported threads are treated seriously and there are reasons why the 'delete' button or the 'approve' button is hit. It's a fine line sometimes but I wouldn't want to be part of something where there is a heavy hand of censorship applied. I think the most important difference between Chat and TOTT is the fact that one is open to all and the other for members only and that might flavour some postings and moderation.

The site would seem to offer something for most people now with the range of sub forums it has and I would point to a better than 50% increase in membership over the last year as testament to its appeal. Regular posters such as yourself will have played a role in that, but let's not stop there, let's try and replicate that next year too!

Mr D I am not trying to be overtly critical of your post or inciting in any way, just putting my point of view out there.

• Like 3

Malcolm,

I think I may have been a touch unfair with that final sentence, as there is more to me not advertising on here than simply the 'tone'. I may be based locally, but my business is not, per se, 'local' so I see it serving little purpose. However, I am in the process of looking at more local business possibilities, so will consider the option.

A quick one for TomTom - the North and 'reasonable' are not phrases I would class together (I'm assuming you're talking prices) and I know of no publicans who are unduly worried about the impending opening of Wetherspoons; the reasons are quite simple - people frequent this pub or that because they feel at home there, they meet the people they want to meet there, they like the ambience, music, staff, beer, pool table, bandits. whatever. Those people aren't suddenly going to up-sticks and head to Wetherspoons.

• Like 1

In reply to Mercuryg, I remember when Wetherspoons opened the Fire Station pub in Whitley Bay - the knock on effect was to take away some business from other pubs in the town. I know this for a fact as when I lived down at the coast I saw it happening. The other pubs just couldn't compete on price and people soon got used to paying less for their pint at the Fire Station, consequently rightly or wrongly pub loyalties changed. Another thing, Wetherspoons normally have a cracking selection of beers on sale.

When, and if I go out, I like a game of pool, listen to the juke box and generally have a good time! Sitting in a stale environment with cheap beer, no music and no pool is not my idea of fun! Yes I'll use Wetherspoons, but, will soon move on to other establishments with some sort of entertainment. If all I wanted was cheap beer I'd just go to Netto's get 8 x 500ml cans for a fiver and sit in the house.

• Like 1

Does the job though Brian! Eeeerrrrr Brian do you frequently taste fermented goat droppings? It must be an acquired taste :dribble: :dribble:

OK You have got me Merlin, I once found an old secret Greek recipe on how to ferment Goat droppings and and the age of the brew before you consume it if you follow the directions its absolutely disgusting :wtf::whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 1

A quick one for TomTom - the North and 'reasonable' are not phrases I would class together (I'm assuming you're talking prices) and I know of no publicans who are unduly worried about the impending opening of Wetherspoons; the reasons are quite simple - people frequent this pub or that because they feel at home there, they meet the people they want to meet there, they like the ambience, music, staff, beer, pool table, bandits. whatever. Those people aren't suddenly going to up-sticks and head to Wetherspoons.

Sorry Mercuryg,

But I think the other landlords should be worried, Wetherspoons have built up a good reputation of serving good beers and food at reasonable prices, not to mention the 07:00 opening for breakfast as well as the curry clubs etc. All the talk around Bedlington is everyone can't wait for it to open, and its about time some of the other more established places had more competition.

Some may need to be worried, but i can only see this turning into good things.

Other pubs will have to up their game a little now, the usual standards just won't fly anymore.

The Wharton, in my opinion, can only benifit from this, and i can see the Blue Bell getting a little more trade as the cold sets in.

It may not bring more people to the town (although, i think it will!) but it will bring people up the west end again.

It'll be interesting to see which landlords use this to their advantage, and which just sit back and hope for the best.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now