Breaking News

You beat me to it... I was about to post a question asking what the piece of paper taped to the shutters was!! Just noticed it this morning as I drove past.

Does it give any dates for the licence being awarded or whatever... or any other details that might be of interest?

Come on bedlington! HAving seen the lion slowly disintergrate through bad management I gladly welcome the return of the pub ! i mean if it had been turned into flats that would have been the end of the street and the end of the town. I cannot wait til its 8 deep at the bar again, so i can go further down and wait till it gets a bit quieter :D

• Like 1

Having sold to Wetherspoon's through two of my previous employers, I can categorically state that this is completely untrue.

Far from it; they buy end of line stock at high volume - it's how they keep their prices low. It's not a secret and has been part of their business plan for years.

Hope it opens sooner than later.

Come on bedlington! HAving seen the lion slowly disintergrate through bad management I gladly welcome the return of the pub ! i mean if it had been turned into flats that would have been the end of the street and the end of the town. I cannot wait til its 8 deep at the bar again, so i can go further down and wait till it gets a bit quieter :D

8 deep not mean a total of 8! :lol:

Whats the latest on this... any more news!?

Last I heard, they wanted to open in September... unless I am missing something there seems to be a distinct lack of anything going on there at the moment!!

Anybody got any info?

They've been working inside for the last three weeks. Don't know why it took them so long to get started though. they bought it at the start of June from our landlord!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No one seem st have mentioned it but plans are on internet showing layout.

Decked area out back, bar at back of building with kitchen, mens toilet turned into snug and all toilets except disabled upstairs.

http://econsultation.planningportal.gov.uk/econsul-client/public/ConsultationSearch.do then type in ne22 for list of current applications

Aye... I had a cheeky look through the window and they have absolutely gutted the place. Most of the walls are back to bare brick as you say toffo.

All praise to J D Wetherspoons for saving the place from the same fate as Elliot's Garage - an eternity of decay and stupid debates with the coonsel over whether or not redeveloment will ruin the view of the street!!

I for one will be rewarding Wetherspoons with my regular custom. Although I do suspect that I will be weighing in at around 25st by summer 2011 as a result!!

Edited by Hillbilly

Aye... I had a cheeky look through the window and they have absolutely gutted the place. Most of the walls are back to bare brick as you say toffo.

All praise to J D Wetherspoons for saving the place from the same fate as Elliot's Garage - an eternity of decay and stupid debates with the coonsel over whether or not redeveloment will ruin the view of the street!!

I for one will be rewarding Wetherspoons with my regular custom. Although I do suspect that I will be weighing in at around 25st by summer 2011 as a result!!

Saw some workmen in front of Elliott's garage the other day, doors were open and all the roof insulation was all over the floor, dunno what they were doing but had some sort of drilling/inspection equipment in the old forecourt, maybe surveying for possible petrol station ??

Saw some workmen in front of Elliott's garage the other day, doors were open and all the roof insulation was all over the floor, dunno what they were doing but had some sort of drilling/inspection equipment in the old forecourt, maybe surveying for possible petrol station ??

They asked for council permission to demolish. It was granted on condition that rebuilding immediately follows! So either a care home or the ubiquitous block of flats!

As for the aesthetics, there was an old thread on this site with reference to what is being proposed there, and it isn't visually pleasing, in fact what was passed will dominate the street view.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now