Breaking News

Come on Wetherspoons - pull your finger out and come down hard on the trouble makers - we don't want this pub spoiled by a handful of morons who can't take their beer. I've been in a couple of times and could almost see trouble brewing. Any unsuitable behaviour in my presence and I'll be off like a lot of other people - so let's have a concerted effort to nip things in the bud - PLEASE!

I'm sure they will enforce bans on those who don't behave, but to be honest I'm surprised you didn't see it coming. offer 'morons' cheap beer and they'll drink it.

Unfortunatly, i usually work during the times they are on, so no can do.

Shame a representative was not able to keep us updated here though.

Synopsis of the Partnership meeting held on 23/11/2010:

The Chair opened the meeting by correcting some mistakes in the last minutes. These were then accepted.

John from Synergy Radio gave a brief presentation as to their progress and informed everyone there will be a much fuller presentation at their meeting which was going to be held on the next night.

The chair outlined some of the follow ups he has been doing then gave the floor to Sergeant John Heaton who gave the police update. One area of concern recently has been thefts of manhole covers and if anyone sees anything with regard to that they were asked to ring in straightaway!

Next was the Town Council update. The Mayor refused to give an update asking for this item to be deleted off this and future agendas. He said if anyone wants to know what is going on with regard to the Town Council they should come to the council meetings or visit his website or get in touch with the Town Council clerk.

There was an update by the Development Trust followed by a presentation of a project they are working on. This was a healthy food delivery business and even though a minority (30-40%) registered their support for it, it was felt this was enough to take the project forward.

The Chair finished the meeting by mentioning some of the other items the Partnership have been looking into not least being the traffic congestion at Ridge Terrace.

This is by no means the 'official' minutes of this meeting merely a quick resume of what was talked about, as suggested by Mr D. I will post the 'official' minutes as and when they become available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been in the Red Lion lately - what with the awful weather and a stint abroad soaking up the sun I haven't been in for a couple of weeks or so. Just wondering if the place has settled down now and if those members of the public who were so insistent on causing trouble have now crept back to their normal watering holes

Has anyone been in the Red Lion lately - what with the awful weather and a stint abroad soaking up the sun I haven't been in for a couple of weeks or so. Just wondering if the place has settled down now and if those members of the public who were so insistent on causing trouble have now crept back to their normal watering holes

I don't think there were (are) many who are insistent on causing trouble, just a number of people who over indulge on cheap booze. That's what happens when you sell it at those prices, and it will continue that way. To be honest, most of those in there on Friday and Saturdays are not people I recognise, so I have no idea where they came from!

Perhaps people are coming from out of town to drink there eh Merc? ;)

I doubt it. I think they're people who simply haven't been going out for a drink in Bedlington, going there to see what all the fuss is about. It's a pleasant place, without a doubt, but I can se no attraction in travelling there from the surrounding towns.

I could have probably counted the number of times I've been "out" in Bedlington on one hand but since opening I've been to the Red Lion three times. On two of those visits I had food so maybe therein lies the appeal for the people you don't recognise Merc?

I could have probably counted the number of times I've been "out" in Bedlington on one hand but since opening I've been to the Red Lion three times. On two of those visits I had food so maybe therein lies the appeal for the people you don't recognise Merc?

That's precisely what I believe is happening. I must say, however, that it's not as if food hasn't been available in Bedlington before the Lion opened. What I'm saying is that the clientele in there are not 'drinkers'. We who like to sup regularly are not the ones who cause trouble. We also like somewhere with a bit of character, a regular clientele, where we can amble at the bar and natter away to our hearts delight. The Lion is pretty and nicely done, but it doesn't offer me any of that. I've been in for a burger, had a few pints there on my travels, and like it very much, but I'm very happy to see that the pubs down the street are not losing their regular trade. Contrary to what many believed, they are not gaining any either.

I for one travel from surrounding towns to eat at wetherspoons. Before bedlington, i went to ashington, although not as regularly.

On a weekend, Ashington was always on the cards when strapped for cash, because of 'spoons, but also because of the many clubs.

'Spoons was a great place to meet, and have a sensible conversation, before moving on to livelier places, and was the main reason we went to ashington.

Now, the nights out are in bedlington because most of "My Crowd" (If 2 people can be called a crowd! :P ) live there.

I asked in the Wharton, and was told they were seeing a definite trade increase on a weekend??

I for one travel from surrounding towns to eat at wetherspoons.

That's cos nobody likes you where you live. Seriously, though, it's not that good that i would travel to eat there.

I asked in the Wharton, and was told they were seeing a definite trade increase on a weekend??

If anywhere is going to benefit I would guess it's going to be the place next door. The Grapes and Sun haven't changed, and the Tavern has just chopped its daytime hours. Mind you, nobody ever went in there in the day anyway. One good thing to come out of all this is that the brewery have bowed to the pressur eof competition and are giving the Grapes a full make-over in the new year.

That's cos nobody likes you where you live.

No-one likes me in Bedders either!!! :P

If anywhere is going to benefit I would guess it's going to be the place next door. The Grapes and Sun haven't changed, and the Tavern has just chopped its daytime hours. Mind you, nobody ever went in there in the day anyway. One good thing to come out of all this is that the brewery have bowed to the pressur eof competition and are giving the Grapes a full make-over in the new year.

Result!

I was thinking The Grapes was looking a bit 'tatty' last time i was in there, which is a shame, coz its a nice bar otherwise.

Good staff and 'Interesting' punters.:whistle:

Result!

I was thinking The Grapes was looking a bit 'tatty' last time i was in there, which is a shame, coz its a nice bar otherwise.

Good staff and 'Interesting' punters.:whistle:

It is frightfully tatty, but I agree, it's a good result. Diane has a talent for picking great staff. She ought to keep her car keys in a safe place though.....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently it did help though!

At the very least, it helped at chucking out time, as you could still get over the road for one last one in 'spoons.

I heard takings were up (slightly) in the wharton, just the landlady has had enough.

And when you've had enough, its time to go try something else!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now