Can Anyone Remember Either The Muter Or Wade Family

• 2 weeks later...

Kieth,did Jackie ride an Ariel 1000cc Square-four bike-sidecar ootfit in the early 'fifties,and live at thi Bedltn marketplace?

I worked with Dougie Scantlebury,at Bedltn A pit,when he was a Deputy,in charge of me,after Chopppington High Pit closed,and aa was transferred there.

Later on,aa was in charge of him at Bates,when aa was owaman on thi face[just odd days here and there]...queer hoo things used ti turn oot.

My Brother and his Wife Joan,used ti baby-sit Jackie's toddler,in the late 50's - early '60s.

Noo!,me Brother is 73 years aad,so that/them toddler/s are probably in their 50's,and that means that any of their little-uns would be aboot late 20's-early 30's mebbe....?

Noo wudn't it be a smaal world if Keefy,heor,was one o' them toddler's...!!!

Aav just thowt on,me Brother had a marra at thi Whitley schyuul,a canny lad,dark  curly/wavy[?]haired,in thi mid-fifties ,eh yi bugga, a can see his face clear as a bell,but a canna mind he's first name,a think he might have been Dougie's Son.[He would be 73 noo also]

i remember pinching his turnips! laugh.gif

Every bugga pinched baigie's in them days!!

Last time a was in Scotland,[Calendar was the place],a few years ago,me and me Wife went into a curiosity shop in the street.

The shop was full of memorabilia from the old days,Beano comics,Marvelman,etc.

A got me eye on a Meccano set,and got on telling the guy in the shop hoo aav still got mine stashed away,from 1955.

Taak went on,and a mentioned gaan ti schyuul wi a Bowie sheath knife on me belt,like we aal did in them days.

A telt him thi shop browt back memories,when we were kids,pinching apples,peas,carrots,tetties,even brussel sproots,oot thi fields when we were hungry,and miles away from yem.

War rations were still on,and when a telt him we used ti bite the peeling off the baigies,and eat thi whole baigie[turnips...ti thi uninitiated!],he replied......

...and said,[in a swanky posh voice,...not Scottish!!]..."Oh,I was never driven to thaaat"..[Prince Charles' accent...!].

We came oot thi shop thinkin'..."noh,yi bugga,yi waadn't be driven ti thaaaat,cos yi were born wi a spoon in ya gob!!"

Wadey's,Joicey's,Hunter's,[noo he had a jelly gun,and if yi were catched on he's land,he wud shoot yi,and the jelly wud clag ti yi.......!]

Can anybody mind o' Hunter's jelly gun.........!!

• 1 month later...

I new the Muter family well Jack and Gorgina and David was my

best friend. We went as a family on holidays together since I was 12 years old. David and I actulallly rallied together until I decided I prefered rugby , cricket and golf.

I have spent many happy times at Highgate, however when David whent overboard with cars we went in different directions.

I have lived abroad mainlly in Spain since 1970 and if anyone could help me get in touch with David, I would be very grateful.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now