Can Anyone Remember Either The Muter Or Wade Family

Doing some research on the building on rothesay terrace which is where I currently work it is now a care home. I have been told Muter family and wade family have lived there, apparently Muters lived there 50s 60s 70s. Im interested in when the wade family lived there, I do believe there was stables there? And may has possibly been a doctors or vets at some point too. Would really appreciate any information :) x

• 3 months later...

I know Jack Muter lived there in the 80's.

I worked for Muters Soft Drinks, and helped him move in the late 80's, He moved to Ponteland,

The Back of the house was stables and a garage, that is where David Muter (Son) kept his racing car.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wade family were farmers. The farmhouse was behind where that large house is being built now which is actually in what was the garden/orchard. The Muters operated the pop business at Liddles st Bedlington Stn [James transport were there at the time too] S&M auto's are there now. I am sure one of the Muters was a founder member of Bedlington & District Motor Club as was [among others] my father Jack Scantlebury.

• 1 month later...

I remember the Wade family, John Wade was a friend of my brothers,Ialso remember old Cud, had a few clips round the ear from him, we spent many happy hours playing in the barn and round the rick yard. Tdrie to the farm was u shaped with one entance next to the entrance to the cricket club and the other next to Muters house. I cant ever remember the wades living anywhere other than inthe big farm house that stood at the top of the u drive, Iremember the was a high wall around a courtyard which we used to climb up an sit and watch the pigs being killed, until old Cud saw us and chased us, if he caught us it resulted in a clip round the ear, happy days!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our website has been updated http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

there is information in the bedlington stories on the muter family and how they bought the business.

Also full update includes 2 pages on bedlington history, 2 pages on choppington history and archives updated too. about 16 new stories in toatal and one from a visitor.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

• 1 month later...

I worked for Muters Soft Drinks, and helped him move in the late 80's, He moved to Ponteland,

The Back of the house was stables and a garage, that is where David Muter (Son) kept his racing car.

Hi Kieth, are you related to a Helen Scantlebury that went to Westridge School in the sixties? She was in my class. It is an unusual surname, which is why I asked.

Orloff, Helen is also my cousin. It can be a bit confusing sometimes because my wife is also called Helen and as you say it is not a common name. If you whent to west ridge at that time you may remember the Coulthards, Richard, George, Gordon and Elizabeth (now Noble) they are also my cousins. Edited by keith

Keith, It seems that a lot of my age group have moved away from the homeland. I went at 16 cos my parents did, but I doubt wether I would've if they hadn't, I consider them to be quite brave or desperate or a bit of both. Am I right in thinking that your cousin Helen took up nursing or is my memory playing tricks again! Going back to Muters pop, I can remember the rather excellent product, and if Wade had an orchard near Allgood Terrace, then I can remember scrumping on the way home from school!

Keith, It seems that a lot of my age group have moved away from the homeland. I went at 16 cos my parents did, but I doubt wether I would've if they hadn't, I consider them to be quite brave or desperate or a bit of both. Am I right in thinking that your cousin Helen took up nursing or is my memory playing tricks again! Going back to Muters pop, I can remember the rather excellent product, and if Wade had an orchard near Allgood Terrace, then I can remember scrumping on the way home from school!

Helen was in nursing all her working life, she is retired now

• 5 months later...

Thought these pop bottle labels would bring back some memories. I found them while scratching around a Junk Shop in Durham last weekend.

where do you find all this memorabilia Foxy, good job

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now