Apple Ipad

Brett

There's much better available in touch screen for the same money, and the software to use it won't cost you an arm and a leg either. You have to remember that this is a highly proprietary CPU that's way out of mainstream at the moment, and a closed operating system from a highly secretive company. So why not buy a machine that you don't need to ask is this or that available for it? With Intel Atom powered you don't really need to ask the question, and often it's available for free.

Here's a way more powerful touch machine, and for more or less the same money:

http://www.laptopsdi...018/version.asp

It's in the next class up from Atom and with decent graphics hardware; you don't have to join a queue of fan-boys to get one, and the cost of ownership is far less. Check out the videos on Youtube to get a feel for it.

Verdict: The iPad is only for people who know B... A... about computers, and with more money than sense! :D

Sounds like Brooker is just looking for something to write about if you ask me....

Eventually it was up and running. And yes, if you've used an iPhone, it's a bit of an anticlimax, although toying with it is undeniably pleasant. The display is supernaturally crisp; the seamless, intuitive interface becomes second nature almost immediately. Once you've got used to the weight, it's perfect for browsing websites while lounging on the sofa. I don't mean that dismissively: it's quite an achievement – especially since "browsing websites while lounging on the sofa" is what the vast majority of laptops are currently used for.

What else would the majority of people use a laptop for? Personally without too much investigation into the matter it looks like that would be the primary target audience. Can't see them being functional for photo/video editing as a mouse has to come into play anyway.

Most people, as I have already said, are on neither side of a Swiftian civil war between LittleEndian Applistas and BigEndian Anti-Applistas. There are plenty of people who are more measured and reasonable in their scepticism about Apple, it is not my mission to characterise everyone on each side as a fundamentalist. But you know there really is fury out there. Absolute fury. Otherwise funny and sane people like Charlie Brooker have taken up anti-Apple stances as a matter of style. 'People who like Apple are pretentious and style conscious, so I will never ever have one,' the argument goes, if I can call it an argument, and obviously I can't, because it isn't an argument it's just a dumb and slightly mad assertion.

Well known that its a stance rather than an opinion that brooker has taken.

Sounds like Brooker is just looking for something to write about if you ask me....

why's that because he's not hyping the shiny apple product?

i for one cant the point in it! what can it do that my pc cant do or any other cheaper laptop cant do!

...what can it do that my pc cant do or any other cheaper laptop cant do!

By having one of the lowest parts buy-in costs - and so highest factory gate to retail price ratios - it can make billions more dollars for Apple. Your laptop certainly can't do that!

BTW somehow I never got around to asking whether you can swap the battery without returning it to Apple. Not having a battery door can shave as much as 50p off the production cost, not to mention the additional megabucks you can earn from punters who aren't prepared to jemmy open £500+ machines! All part of Apple "usability" and superb value for money! :P

the battery only lasts 10 hours and you need an adaptor as it does not have usb ports! queer as usb is by far the most universal connector out there! must be another apple money making scheme, loose the Dock connector adapter that comes with the ipad and they'll charge you £36 for a new one laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

the battery only lasts 10 hours and you need an adaptor as it does not have usb ports! queer as usb is by far the most universal connector out there! must be another apple money making scheme, loose the Dock connector adapter that comes with the ipad and they'll charge you £36 for a new one laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Is that £36 part of the $7.50 total in-the-box contents?

http://uk.gear.ign.c.../1068348p1.html

It would be interesting to know what they charge for replacing a battery that costs them $17.50 = £12.07. Note that the Chinese get as much as $10 = £6.90 for building this machine! :rolleyes:

Is that £36 part of the $7.50 total in-the-box contents?

http://uk.gear.ign.c.../1068348p1.html

It would be interesting to know what they charge for replacing a battery that costs them $17.50 = £12.07. Note that the Chinese get as much as $10 = £6.90 for building this machine! :rolleyes:

85 quid service fee plus postage of £7.29 laugh.gif

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipad/service/battery/

More ways to extract revenue (the margins on these products are so thin! :rolleyes: ).

US antitrust regulators plan to investigate whether Apple is unfairly restricting rivals such as Google and Microsoft in the market for advertisements carried on the iPhone, iPad and iPod, people familiar with the move said on Wednesday.

Apple has introduced its own network to sell display, video and interactive adverts in the small programs known as apps, which have fuelled the rapid adoption of Apple's devices. On Monday, it said it had sold $60m worth of adverts that will begin on July 1 and run for the rest of the year. -- FT

[rant]

you should know as well as anyone that links break!

[/rant]

Well no they shouldn't actually, the whole idea of the web is persistent hyperlinking, it's not a temporary media like your olde world newspapers you know :P

and there isn't anything broken about that link. :)

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the link.

Example:

I was researching a computer problem not long ago, and found the answer i was looking for.

The posts went like this:

User1: I have X problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

User2: Yeah, i've seen this before, check this link out: link to website

User1: Great, that did it! Thanks!

Guess what... the link no longer works!

The answer turned out to be a simple 3 step process. Easily copied and pasted.

Now, i know thats totally unrelated RE: content, but i think its only common manners to at least post a brief description of what the link is about. Even making the link text something like this would have helped!

A security flaw in AT&T's network exposed the e-mail addresses of more than 100,000 owners of Apple's 3G iPad, according to a report published by Gawker today.

or

Hackers: Data Breach Exposed iPad Owners' Personal Info

Anyway, back to the topic....

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the link.

Example:

I was researching a computer problem not long ago, and found the answer i was looking for.

The posts went like this:

User1: I have X problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

User2: Yeah, i've seen this before, check this link out: link to website

User1: Great, that did it! Thanks!

Guess what... the link no longer works!

The answer turned out to be a simple 3 step process. Easily copied and pasted.

Now, i know thats totally unrelated RE: content, but i think its only common manners to at least post a brief description of what the link is about. Even making the link text something like this would have helped!

A security flaw in AT&T's network exposed the e-mail addresses of more than 100,000 owners of Apple's 3G iPad, according to a report published by Gawker today.

or

Hackers: Data Breach Exposed iPad Owners' Personal Info

Anyway, back to the topic....

must be the time of month! laugh.gif

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now