Asda Buys Netto

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/27/asda-buys-netto

"Staffing levels will be increased from an average of 14 per store to 25." ...so the "cues" should be shorter before too long! :P

That's approx 11 more local jobs too.

Tesco might just pull their finger out now!

Though on saying that found out today that Tesco are being held back by cooncil red tape for their planned expansion and that they do not own the car park. Another obstacle in their way is vulcan place garage(Practical) on where they will park their vehicles if Tesco aquire the site(Millne car park)they have a deal to park there, but the biggest stumbling block seems to be Greggs! Apparently they have a one hundred year lease on their property and are refusing to move even though Tesco have offered to incorperate a unit for them within Tesco's new shop! The derelict land at the side of Tesco was to be a petrol station more red tape from said cooncil. Also they have not applied for planning permission for a superstore on Coopies Lane.

Back to netto's if there is to be an expansion by Asda then the only way is UP :D

Edited by Merlin

Given that Blyth Cramlington and Ashington have Asda stores already, would regulations allow another one in Bedlington? Didn't we have this issue with Morrisons when they bought out Safeway? It could reduce the choice(?) we have at present, leaving Tesco with free reign on pricing.

Tesco might just pull their finger out now!

Though on saying that found out today that Tesco are being held back by cooncil red tape for their planned expansion and that they do not own the car park. Another obstacle in their way is vulcan place garage(Practical) on where they will park their vehicles if Tesco aquire the site(Millne car park)they have a deal to park there, but the biggest stumbling block seems to be Greggs! Apparently they have a one hundred year lease on their property and are refusing to move even though Tesco have offered to incorperate a unit for them within Tesco's new shop! The derelict land at the side of Tesco was to be a petrol station more red tape from said cooncil. Also they have not applied for planning permission for a superstore on Coopies Lane.

Back to netto's if there is to be an expansion by Asda then the only way is UP :D

Merlin,

Don't know how far that is correct, as far as I know council are bending over backwards with legs akimbo to accommodate Tesco and it is only recalcitrance by Tesco holding up the deal. Tesco have already taken over the covenant on the car park, probably in order to adjust it so a 2 or 3 hour only free car park will be provided for their patrons exclusively! That leads to problems with parking for the law courts as well as VPG, not to mention anyone using that car park who works on or uses Front Street! The derelict land at the side is to be built on with shop units and offices above as part of the overall deal. Don't think there was a petrol station mentioned in the planning application?

As for the Netto deal that might have more to do with Netto wanting to be out of the UK and ASDA not wanting to see anyone else getting hold of their shop units? The strangest fit for me is the Argos deal, wonder what business model Wallmart have in mind for those?

Word is, ASDA like the size of all the Netto stores, as they are small enough to accommodate a decent sized "Living" store, which will sell only non-food items, and therefore not monopolise the towns as they would if they were food stores.

Good news for bedlington if that is the case, an ASDA Living store there would surely be a good idea... wouldn't it monsta?

Word is, ASDA like the size of all the Netto stores, as they are small enough to accommodate a decent sized "Living" store, which will sell only non-food items, and therefore not monopolise the towns as they would if they were food stores.

Good news for bedlington if that is the case, an ASDA Living store there would surely be a good idea... wouldn't it monsta?

NO asda clothes are rubbish! i've bought them before and they shrink in the washer! like primark tat only a bit more pricey!

NO asda clothes are rubbish! i've bought them before and they shrink in the washer! like primark tat only a bit more pricey!

Check where the clothes are made Monsta..

I find it quite amusing that when i say "non-food" you only think about clothes.

They also do

Music, Video and Games

Televisions

DVD players / recorders

Computers

Cameras and Photography

Furniture

Garden equipment

Plus lots more my poor little hungover head cant think about just yet.

Still a bad thing? or are you of the same mind as Mr Spooner (I Robot):

Um, look, this isn't what I do, but I've got an idea for one of your commercials. You see... a carpenter, making a beautiful chair. And then one of your robots comes in and makes a better chair twice as fast. And then you superimpose on the screen, "USR: Shlttin' on the Little Guy". That would be the fade-out.
Classic! :D

asda electrics are ok if you need a cheap kettle or toaster i would not recommend there t.vs or dvd players as there cheap rubbish. biggrin.gif if you want a t.v or anything else over £50 buy something with a recognisable trade mark! like they say you only get what you pay for! (unless its at a knocked down bargain price or it fell off the back of a lorry!!) laugh.gif

ASDA dont sell branded items?

My Sony Bravia 42" has been running no problem now for over 3 years...

Also seen brands like

Kenwood

HP/Compaq

Epsom

Samsung

Toshiba

Philips

All the major gaming consoles: XBox360, Wii, Playstation PSP

Which brands exactly would you like?blink.gif

ASDA dont sell branded items?

My Sony Bravia 42" has been running no problem now for over 3 years...

Also seen brands like

Kenwood

HP/Compaq

Epsom

Samsung

Toshiba

Philips

All the major gaming consoles: XBox360, Wii, Playstation PSP

Which brands exactly would you like?blink.gif

what i just said dont buy t.vs dvd players with either onn or asda written on them! wink.gif

Merlin,

Don't know how far that is correct, as far as I know council are bending over backwards with legs akimbo to accommodate Tesco and it is only recalcitrance by Tesco holding up the deal. Tesco have already taken over the covenant on the car park, probably in order to adjust it so a 2 or 3 hour only free car park will be provided for their patrons exclusively! That leads to problems with parking for the law courts as well as VPG, not to mention anyone using that car park who works on or uses Front Street! The derelict land at the side is to be built on with shop units and offices above as part of the overall deal. Don't think there was a petrol station mentioned in the planning application?

As for the Netto deal that might have more to do with Netto wanting to be out of the UK and ASDA not wanting to see anyone else getting hold of their shop units? The strangest fit for me is the Argos deal, wonder what business model Wallmart have in mind for those?

Straight from the horses mouth!

Tesco have already taken over the covenant on the car park, probably in order to adjust it so a 2 or 3 hour only free car park will be provided for their patrons exclusively! That leads to problems with parking for the law courts as well as VPG, not to mention anyone using that car park who works on or uses Front Street!

wey the law courts have there own car park and the offenders all park infront off the courts, as for those who work on the front street theres a car park behind tsb! and everyone else theres a loading bay outside tescos or they can run the risk of a wheel clamp by parking in elliots garage! laugh.gif

Oh, i see. blink.gif

Anyways, good points Monsta... plenty of parking available. What's missing is a need for those spaces.

exactly the car parks at best only get to half full on the best of days!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now