Jobs Worths

As some of you may know I recently moved house (after 2 years on the market). I bought an ex-local authority house and was informed by my solicitor that if I wanted any external work doing to the house (including fitting new windows) I would have to apply for something called a 'covenant' letter before you apply for planning permission (if required). After finding nothing on the Council Website I contact the planning department to be pointed in the right direction.....They informed me it would be £20 for them to answer my question!!!! One month later and £20 lighter I receive an email to tell me that to get a covenant letter I need to contact Wansbeck Homes and the charge for this will be £50.........£20 to tell me that the robbing ********! Am I the only stupid person in Bedlington that is actually following the rules? How many other ex-local authority owners have got ones of these letters? And why are they getting away with charing for information that should be readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you may know I recently moved house (after 2 years on the market). I bought an ex-local authority house and was informed by my solicitor that if I wanted any external work doing to the house (including fitting new windows) I would have to apply for something called a 'covenant' letter before you apply for planning permission (if required). After finding nothing on the Council Website I contact the planning department to be pointed in the right direction.....They informed me it would be £20 for them to answer my question!!!! One month later and £20 lighter I receive an email to tell me that to get a covenant letter I need to contact Wansbeck Homes and the charge for this will be £50.........£20 to tell me that the robbing ********! Am I the only stupid person in Bedlington that is actually following the rules? How many other ex-local authority owners have got ones of these letters? And why are they getting away with charing for information that should be readily available.

well thats just great claire,!! have you not thought about taking them to the small claims court to get your money back. its an outrage and the person that sent your email should be shot with !*!@#.

i know times are hard but they are just taking the pxxs and exploiting those who follow their rules. what you should have done by rights is just do the job and ignore the red tape as evryone else does.. .i understand that following procedure is the way that is expected but somtimes its not the right way at all. the best advice i can give in this situation is to go off to the shop. buy a nice tin of buiscits ..rub the buiscits in some dog poo or somthing simalar and drop them into the office as a thank you and poison the feckers...get them running at least...truth is ..most people in their job situation just want to waste time and other peoples time because thats all they are good for..the no good ,dirty rotten,lowlife thieving baxxxxxxds.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I did make a complaint but have yet to hear anything. Also I went to Wansbeck Homes to ask about the letter and after getting a contact to write to, to explain what I want to do as the house has not been local authority for 20 years now, have finally received persmission free of charge to build a porch.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now