Garden Waste

Went to get some garden waste bags from the cooncil today, told they aren't doing them any more. I have to get a brown bin at a cost of 20 quid! Asked how often these would be emptied 'Don't know' was the reply before asking them where the nearest lay-by was? This zoomed straight over morons head. Parting shot was 'Ye knaa ya broon bins stick em where the sun don't shine' :D

Edited by Merlin

my other half works as refuse collector. brown bin is £20 plus £20 per year to empty it! Brown bins are collected as bags were-fortnightly on green bin day. You have to put both out same time. If you still have bags they will be collected. Brown bins better for the collectors as my other half has nearly killed himself picking up really heavy ones but they are talking about pay cuts but longer hours, less wagons and other stuff so the collectors will suffer like us council tax payers!!!!

my other half works as refuse collector. brown bin is £20 plus £20 per year to empty it! Brown bins are collected as bags were-fortnightly on green bin day. You have to put both out same time. If you still have bags they will be collected. Brown bins better for the collectors as my other half has nearly killed himself picking up really heavy ones but they are talking about pay cuts but longer hours, less wagons and other stuff so the collectors will suffer like us council tax payers!!!!

ARGH! the pity! i done it when you have to lift the metal bins from peoples doors on your shoulders!

poor molly coddled bin men!

And i think its a joke £40 quid for them to get your waste that they then sell back to you as compost! poor compost too! :angry:

ARGH! the pity! i done it when you have to lift the metal bins from peoples doors on your shoulders!

poor molly coddled bin men!

And i think its a joke £40 quid for them to get your waste that they then sell back to you as compost! poor compost too! :angry:

my other half done 10 year with metal bins n all the side rubbish so he knows hard graft.. inbox me who you are as he probably knows you!! he used 2 bloody hard graft 4 a pittance wage

my other half done 10 year with metal bins n all the side rubbish so he knows hard graft.. inbox me who you are as he probably knows you!! he used 2 bloody hard graft 4 a pittance wage

what you mean pittance wage! bin men get good money. try goods in emptying 10 - 20 containers per day now thats hard work for nowt! and a mean nowt at the time it was 4.20 an hour!

and a doubt he'll know me i was a temp for a week! many moons ago!

anyway getting back to the point £40 quid for a bin is pure greed what exaclty do people pay cooncil tax for?

we agree... £40 is greed as we pay council tax! but he's just the grafter... worked bloody hard in all weathers n gets loads a grief n threats every green bin day when a bin got stuff it shouldnt have in n if he empties it he could lose his job? so he puts up with crap to support his family!

Debra I know that your man works hard and is a grafter, he also has to implement the rules of the company, take the flak whereas it should be his bosses that take the flak.He is on the front line and dealing with Joe Public is no easy task! People who make the rules and regulations are found,if at all, hiding behind their desks and telephones and have no comprehension of what other people have to put up with! Well they probably do but don't give a damn because they aren't in the firing line!

I had a go at the bin men about not picking up black bin bags off the ground, they said it was against Health and Safety, in case they hurt their backs and made a claim. Which is fair enough. So I left bag on ground and waited till they came to pick up garden waste in the bags that were on the ground. I then challenged them as to what they were doing,well they said 'We are taking the garden rubbish away.' You can guess what I said next can't you! 'But they are on the bottom and it's against Health and Safety to lift bags off the ground, considering that garden waste bags weigh a lot more than a black bin liner, if you can lift all those bags ,why can't you lift one bin liner when emptying the bins?'

The point is, these jobsworths hiding behind their desks trying to justify their jobs don't have the brains to think things through properly. They then leave it to the hard working low paid workers on the ground to bear the brunt of the peoples wrath!

These jobsworths also think that we cannot think for ourselves and that we are as thick as pig sh it so they can get away with anything!

some just dont care too! on monday i watched with my own eyes this bin man empting a bin, as it emptied some of the contents fell on the road. he then noticing the rubbish kicked it and hopped in the cab leaving the mess all over the road! and they complain about taking flak!

This is why the politics and economics of the county and country isn't just bullxxxx! It affects everyone, from children being born to people dying; you just cannot escape the implications! It's the politicians who decided how long Deb's husband works, how much he is paid and if he can pick up a green bag but not a black bag. Merlin's point about the paper pushers, the more complex they can make the system the more it takes to administer so in effect they protect their jobs at the expense of common sense. There are some fundamental changes needed!

If you wonder why you seem to be paying more into the system but appear to be getting less and less of a service out of it, that is 99% down to something called a 'structural deficit' and means you have to keep paying in to service debts which have been piled up for years. This has a direct impact onto any worthwhile improvements we want to see in services because we can't afford to pay for them, all our money is going into debt repayments. It is no good ignoring this stuff we have to stare it down and do something about it.

As for the bins question, I remember a time not so long ago when we had bins emptied twice a week and the lads took almost anything away. Now we get a bin emptied once a fortnight. I have a real issue with the green bin because we are being treated as sorters for a business therefore that one cannot be included in the general council service contract with us! I don't know what the business split is with Sita but if its 50/50 then retired Canadian teachers are profiting from our 'free' labour!!!!

I don't know what the business split is with Sita but if its 50/50 then retired Canadian teachers are profiting from our 'free' labour!!!!

Aren't Sita obliged to publish the percentage of household waste that is ultimately recycled? If that's the case it would be good if some of the profit was redirected back to the areas that are better sorters on a sliding scale.

I agree with all what's been said n it is the pen pushers to blame... rules n regulations.... not allowed side rubbish (black bin week). my bloke put a womans bin back as she'd had an operation and couldnt do it herself. someone took a pic and complained! he would take stuff away for people if he could but at the risk of losing his job of 20 years?? and they got to check green bins to see if contaminated? the system all wrong

It makes me weep with what I see at SITA household waste sites. I used to run The Sisters Site at Widdrington under Northumbria Waste Management and it makes my blood boil with what is happening on these sites now, especially in a recycling environment that is rammed down our throats. I used to PAY NWM a monthly tender for the rights to every thing on the tip and the skips,and believe you me everything that could be recycled WAS. I wasn't on a wage and I was paying them! Now with SITA there are on average 5 people ON A WAGE per site with their average recycling percentage at 40%.And people wonder why they are having to pay for services!

Here is another example of cooncil waste! While I was Responsible for stopping trade waste at Widdrington, I would turn away a lot of vans which were obviously trade, builders, land scape gardeners, fruiters, and house clearance merchants, they get away with it once or twice but you get to know who they are! Anyway once turned away they would drive up to layby at the entrance and dump the lot in there.Impossible to prove it was them! Only found out when leaving site so I would phone cooncil to report fly tipping, they would then hire a local private waste collector at a rate of £100 per hour to retrieve waste, they would pick waste up bring it back down to the tip and dump it!!!!!!! Why did I turn them away in the first place their rubbish ended up on my tip anyway to a cost of £100 per hour which ultimately I ended up paying for through council tax.I ended up costing myself money by doing my job EH! Had an idea of how to save cooncil money and asked them to cut the middle man out and let the trade waste tip anyway, it would save them paying £100 per hour for a private contractor! NOOOOO we can't do that trade waste pays us £60 per WEEK for us to collect their rubbish. EH! WHAT!

By the way THANKYOU to the Health and Safety Executive for losing my job on said site! They banned everybody from the tips IN CASE THEY HURT THEMSELVES! Bang goes up to 95% recycling. I'll say it again these these people haven't got a !*!@# CLUE!

Edited by Merlin
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now