Winter. Love It Or Leave It!

Joe Rooney

Coming home from downtown this afternoon, I felt anything but chuffed.

My windshields wipers were frozen up, the windshield was fogged with ice, the windchill was -28C, and my rear window was totally obscured, despite -45c washer fluid, and rear window defrosters! And its only November 26.

I love a lot about Calgary, it really does have a lot to offer, but the local weather is totally unpredictable. Last year at this time temperatures were in the 15-18C range, I could still barbeque on the deck, and life was overall enjoyable.

But this year is different. In the last two weeks we have had nothing but cold, snow, Ice storms, and other yucky stuff. Tonight they are forecasting -32C, and tomorrow the "High" will be a balmy -30C.

I turn on the TV, and hear some enthusiastic twit burbling away about the best Winter ever. I know that this is the earlyest ski season ever. It started on November 2nd in Banff, but I want it to stay in Banff. That way when I take my grandkids skiing and sledding, it will be far away from my door, and I won't have to have those damn noisy snow and ice removal crews waking me up at ungodly hours.

Its quite acceptable for our mutual friend Hollymount to have had -30c two weeks ago. He lives some 400km or so north of here in Grande Cache, and he probably loves skiing and skating and winter activities of all kinds. But I live in the city by choice, and this weather does not improve the enjoyment of Calgary.

What happened to "Global Warming" when you began to warm up to the idea. Its all very badly managed, and this new Conservative government and not doing a thing to help. I have to blame somebody, and Harper and his farmer friends fill the bill.

And I am not too thrilled with Blair and his Nanny state either. So where do you go when all the politicians behave like politicians, and do absolutely nothing to improve my quality of life! To quote somebody from my bookworm past. Off with their heads!

Just thought I would tell you that. Whats the point of having a captive audience, if you can't have a good rant every now and then.

There now, I feel much better. God knows what I will feel like tomorrow.

Joe

Coming home from downtown this afternoon, I felt anything but chuffed.

My windshields wipers were frozen up, the windshield was fogged with ice, the windchill was -28C, and my rear window was totally obscured, despite -45c washer fluid, and rear window defrosters! And its only November 26.

I love a lot about Calgary, it really does have a lot to offer, but the local weather is totally unpredictable. Last year at this time temperatures were in the 15-18C range, I could still barbeque on the deck, and life was overall enjoyable.

But this year is different. In the last two weeks we have had nothing but cold, snow, Ice storms, and other yucky stuff. Tonight they are forecasting -32C, and tomorrow the "High" will be a balmy -30C.

I turn on the TV, and hear some enthusiastic twit burbling away about the best Winter ever. I know that this is the earlyest ski season ever. It started on November 2nd in Banff, but I want it to stay in Banff. That way when I take my grandkids skiing and sledding, it will be far away from my door, and I won't have to have those damn noisy snow and ice removal crews waking me up at ungodly hours.

Its quite acceptable for our mutual friend Hollymount to have had -30c two weeks ago. He lives some 400km or so north of here in Grande Cache, and he probably loves skiing and skating and winter activities of all kinds. But I live in the city by choice, and this weather does not improve the enjoyment of Calgary.

What happened to "Global Warming" when you began to warm up to the idea. Its all very badly managed, and this new Conservative government and not doing a thing to help. I have to blame somebody, and Harper and his farmer friends fill the bill.

And I am not too thrilled with Blair and his Nanny state either. So where do you go when all the politicians behave like politicians, and do absolutely nothing to improve my quality of life! To quote somebody from my bookworm past. Off with their heads!

Just thought I would tell you that. Whats the point of having a captive audience, if you can't have a good rant every now and then.

Joe

Whats the weather like today Joe?

Joe

I returned to the UK some time ago Joe and one of the major reasons was the Canadian weather, it sucks. ;)

Whats the weather like today Joe?

Overnight, the windchill was -42C. At two this afternoon we had bright sun, the temperature was -24, and the windchill was -39C. A heavy snowfall was also forecast but it veered and all we got was a fine gritty snow ( about 8-10 MM) during the night.

I also heard on the TV weather report that the temperature in the Yukon Territories (Some 600+KM north of here) was expected to rise to -49C today. God knows what it will be if they have any wind.

Its the politicians, I tell you!

After all we have to blame somebody, and they take all the credit for anything remotely successful, so they may as well have all the blame too!

By the way Swalnalla, Ontario weather is the pits too. I guess somebody is mad at them for voting against the Conservatives.

Stayed home today, prayed for a Chinook to warm things up, but since my US friends tell me that god has a deal to only listen to Republicans and large oil companies, lord knows what we will get.

Joe.

Overnight, the windchill was -42C. At two this afternoon we had bright sun, the temperature was -24, and the windchill was -39C. A heavy snowfall was also forecast but it veered and all we got was a fine gritty snow ( about 8-10 MM) during the night.

I also heard on the TV weather report that the temperature in the Yukon Territories (Some 600+KM north of here) was expected to rise to -49C today. God knows what it will be if they have any wind.

After all we have to blame somebody, and they take all the credit for anything remotely successful, so they may as well have all the blame too!

By the way Swalnalla, Ontario weather is the pits too. I guess somebody is mad at them for voting against the Conservatives.

Stayed home today, prayed for a Chinook to warm things up, but since my US friends tell me that god has a deal to only listen to Republicans and large oil companies, lord knows what we will get.

Joe.

I am with you on that one Joe, come the revolution brother they will be the first ones against the wall! :lol:

I blame Celine Dion.

It is 9.40 AM, and it is now -33c with bright sun.

And it is pronounced Saylin Dion, so if you want to blame her (Now down in Las Vegas in airconditioned splendour) then at least get the pronunciation right.

And by the way I erred (O mea Culpa!) recently I gave the snowfall in MM, it should have been CM.

Again I reveal my appalling ignorance, but I was educated at St Bede's. The important part of it anyway!

Joe.

Joe.

Its Blairs nanny state Joe but be carfull he's likly to ban all bad weather like he wants to ban everything eles

:D

And by the way I erred (O mea Culpa!) recently I gave the snowfall in MM, it should have been CM.

Again I reveal my appalling ignorance, but I was educated at St Bede's. The important part of it anyway!

Joe.

No problem Joe, we've all been metrified. The old Westridge school had a large mosaic of St. Cuthbert in the lobby, I was just wondering what what happened to it after the transfer of the school and renamed Benedick Biscuit. ?

And it is pronounced Saylin Dion, so if you want to blame her (Now down in Las Vegas in airconditioned splendour) then at least get the pronunciation right.

Joe.

I spelt it right though.

No problem Joe, we've all been metrified. The old Westridge school had a large mosaic of St. Cuthbert in the lobby, I was just wondering what what happened to it after the transfer of the school and renamed Benedick Biscuit. ?

I worked there 2003-2005 and there are no mosaics anywhere, not that I saw.

Well living in South East USA I would love to see some snow. It is great because the slightest bit freaks everyone out and they close down the businesses and schools etc. As long as I don't have to be on the highway with the idiots who can not drive in it I am ok.

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Isn't life strange? I've been reading your Canadian weather reports without much thought and then yesterday I went home to find a huge 6" 7 Canadian wrestler firmly ensconsed in one of the attic bedrooms. It's a mate of my wrestling son. He's been kicked out by his wife and he's now homeless because his family are all in Canada. The other half is a bit annoyed about it because nobody asked permission, but I'm dead excited because none of my friends have got huge wrestlers in their attic and also, as an ex-anthropologist I love speaking to people from other cultures - except that he's a bit depressed and doesn't seem to want to come out of the attic. Please excuse me, I think I'm just having a manic moment.

Hi Joe,

Isn't life strange? I've been reading your Canadian weather reports without much thought and then yesterday I went home to find a huge 6" 7 Canadian wrestler firmly ensconsed in one of the attic bedrooms. It's a mate of my wrestling son. He's been kicked out by his wife and he's now homeless because his family are all in Canada. The other half is a bit annoyed about it because nobody asked permission, but I'm dead excited because none of my friends have got huge wrestlers in their attic and also, as an ex-anthropologist I love speaking to people from other cultures - except that he's a bit depressed and doesn't seem to want to come out of the attic. Please excuse me, I think I'm just having a manic moment.

Steady on, you neglected to mention the special deals available on childcare at 'Bedlington Bears'.