What Do You Miss?

Merlin

They are called Turkish Pepper here and I think that's the name I remember from my childhood. You can get Salmiak tasting everything here - not just 'boiled bullets':

Ice-cream

1437002608_TurkishpepperIce-cream.jpg.cb9432b89c5a5ec2d124b2b739f8dbd5.jpg

Ice lollies

1813281172_TurkishpepperIceLolly.jpg.4d8f9d2d7aa44647207b9b9a3d5385ca.jpg

Chocolate

1215415522_Turkishpepperchocolate.jpg.1b7f72d739a9b4af201293c07d366cc3.jpg

Liquorice sticks

1943304438_TurkishPepperLiquorice.png.ff60a396752e42bc4675ddb3f7c3dda8.png

and my favourite

alcohol shots

1031428607_TurkishPepperliquer.jpg.9e20a68c3cbc2e79ad417c6ec6501bd0.jpg

Of course, you can make this very easily and cheaply by dissolving a packet of these

1838672131_TurkishPeppersweets.png.2986c1466d4beb9f2c3692fd63d2f372.png

into any bottle of Vodka. Great for warming you up on a cold day!

12 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

There's summik queer gaaning on wi this Editor,when a try and gaan back ti correct me typo's,it's deleting letters and CREATING TYPO'S!

Is it my Laptop,or is anybody else getting the same grief?

I have similar Bill and it's on both PCs- old & new. The most frustrating one is when I try to go back, using the reverse/backward arrow key,  and correct a spelling mistake (that I make all the time) nowt happens. So even when I just want to go back a couple of characters to correct an 'i before e' (and @Canny lass knows all about my errors🙂) I have to use the mouse to click onto the exact letters I want to change - it is frustrating.

ps. don't know anything about jelly guns - got hit a couple of times with a pellet from a Webley air rifle or pistol.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

51 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

(and @Canny lass knows all about my errors🙂)

"Error" is simply another word for 'contribution to the development of the English language'. Trust me I'm  linguist!

Language is lazy! It's always looking for the easy way out both in speech and writing. One of the commonest causes of language change is the repeated deviation from the 'norm' of spelling and grammar. Spellings which don't adhere to the norm, if used often enough, WILL become the new norm - take recognise and recognize as just one of a thousand examples.

Deviation from the norm can do two things: Disturb communication or  Destroy communication

The function of language is to enable communication, so destruction will defeat its purpose. However, a disturbance will not. The language used is still understandable and the speaker/writer is still communicating.

Example:

Disturbed communication: Nvr apolgse fr yor spllng mistks.

Destroyed communication: Verne apologized for your spilling smisktea.

Those two sentences, full of spelling mistakes are one and the same. Which one do you understand?

Never knock yourself for spelling which deviates from the 'norm'. The reader (providing they have the same mother tongue) will make the necessary corrections in their head and communication will not be destroyed. If it is destroyed, they will ask for clarification.

Edited by Canny lass

24 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

"Error" is simply another word for 'contribution to the development of the English language'. Trust me I'm  linguist!

Language is lazy! It's always looking for the easy way out both in speech and writing. One of the commonest causes of language change is the repeated deviation from the 'norm' of spelling and grammar. Spellings which don't adhere to the norm, if used often enough, WILL become the new norm - take recognise and recognize as just one of a thousand examples.

Deviation from the norm can do two things: Disturb communication or  Destroy communication

The function of language is to enable communication, so destruction will defeat its purpose. However, a disturbance will not. The language used is still understandable and the speaker/writer is still communicating.

Example:

Disturbed communication: Nvr apolgse fr yor spllng mistks.

Destroyed communication: Verne apologized for your spilling smisktea.

Those two sentences, full of spelling mistakes are one and the same. Which one do you understand?

Never knock yourself for spelling which deviates from the 'norm'. The reader (providing they have the same mother tongue) will make the necessary corrections in their head and communication will not be destroyed. If it is destroyed, they will ask for clarification.

When working shifts on the National Insurance computer system we had a Handover Book where each shift would document anything that was worth passing on + a list of outstanding tasks that required action.It used to make me laugh when the shift taking ouver from ours would comment on my spelling. My response was always - if you know what the word is supposed to be does it matter how it's 'spelt'.:)

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I nivva (that ones for HPW:))  tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

6 hours ago, Canny lass said:

They are called Turkish Pepper here and I think that's the name I remember from my childhood. You can get Salmiak tasting everything here - not just 'boiled bullets':

Ice-cream

1437002608_TurkishpepperIce-cream.jpg.cb9432b89c5a5ec2d124b2b739f8dbd5.jpg

Ice lollies

1813281172_TurkishpepperIceLolly.jpg.4d8f9d2d7aa44647207b9b9a3d5385ca.jpg

Chocolate

1215415522_Turkishpepperchocolate.jpg.1b7f72d739a9b4af201293c07d366cc3.jpg

Liquorice sticks

1943304438_TurkishPepperLiquorice.png.ff60a396752e42bc4675ddb3f7c3dda8.png

and my favourite

alcohol shots

1031428607_TurkishPepperliquer.jpg.9e20a68c3cbc2e79ad417c6ec6501bd0.jpg

Of course, you can make this very easily and cheaply by dissolving a packet of these

1838672131_TurkishPeppersweets.png.2986c1466d4beb9f2c3692fd63d2f372.png

into any bottle of Vodka. Great for warming you up on a cold day!

They all are blue or is that purple like your hat! hmm!

2 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

They all are blue or is that purple like your hat! hmm!

Purple is reserved for the hat!

These are all the same brand - Fazer (a Finnish company that's very popular here) therefore all the same colour. Those I've shown are actually made for the Danish consumer, hence the spelling Tyrkisk Peber. Here, for some reason unknown to me, they use the English spelling but I couldn't find any pictures on the Internet. It's an extremely popular taste even with children and there are loads of different sweets with this taste made by many different companies. One of the most commonly sold is a 'wine gum' textured black fish called "salta sill" (salted herring). They are sold by the ton on the boats sailing between Scandinavia and England apparently but probably to Scandinavian travellers. I've only known one English personwho liked them - my sister.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2013 at 21:49, tonyg said:

eric raisbeck joe austen and alan burke and his father were the drivers

There was a part time driver called Tom. I think he was a Raisbeck and a full time butcher who worked at the butcher shop at the market place(Hay?). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There was a driver Jimmy who may also have been a Raisbeck as well. One of the drivers had a glass or faulty eye. I travelled from Doyles shop to the West End school everyday from the age of 5 until 11. It was 2d and never changed. If I got the United bus after school to the Bank Top it was 2 and a half pence. 

There is/was a little lass that lived opposite Anne's Pantry who was a daughter of one of the Raisbeck drivers.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now