What Do You Miss?

Merlin

Seahouses Brian well worth the drive, the only difficult thing is choosing the one you want to sit in and have your fish'n'chips, bread and tea. In fact I might just have a drive up there this week end! :fish:

I could to it this weekend too Merlin

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest I can't ever remember tables and chairs in there Brian, that is why I put a ? in there, John Whales did have that place though.

Here's a one for you Keith,

My better half has just been reading these last few posts and she says were all wrong about the fish shop with seats.She says the one with seats was next door to the chemist where Walter Wilson is now and it was called Patties, she's probably right cos she's never wrong!

Here's a one for you Keith,

My better half has just been reading these last few posts and she says were all wrong about the fish shop with seats.She says the one with seats was next door to the chemist where Walter Wilson is now and it was called Patties, she's probably right cos she's never wrong!

Well, this is hard , trying not to be disrespectful to your lovely wife ( suck grovel etc) Foxy, but that may have been before my time (read that bit really quickly). Barons chemist is now Boots. WW is now Premier. I cant remember a chip shop there at all. I can remember the bank and the dole office. The thing is I am only 55years of age , oooooooooooops.

Looks like she's right again Keith, the chippy was between the chemist and Walters and she reckons it was later used as a small electrical appliance shop (in the photo) She's got the lip on cos I've started calling her Jeeves!

I see you are still using the TARDIS Foxy. Going by the clothes those kids are wearing, what seems to be a MK11 Cortina estate and a Morris 1000, that colour pic was taken in the 70's. Matty Robinsons hardware shop is also still there. I can remember the electrical repair shop, the guy used to fix hoovers,washers and spin dryers etc. (no tumble dryers then) . Certainly during the early '70's, Barclays bank was there (part time) as was the dole office (prior to bridge house at the top end). For the life of me I cannot remember a fish and chip shop between Walter Wilsons and Barrons the chemist. I know just the man to ask and I will try and ask him over the weekend.

I see you are still using the TARDIS Foxy. Going by the clothes those kids are wearing, what seems to be a MK11 Cortina estate and a Morris 1000, that colour pic was taken in the 70's. Matty Robinsons hardware shop is also still there. I can remember the electrical repair shop, the guy used to fix hoovers,washers and spin dryers etc. (no tumble dryers then) . Certainly during the early '70's, Barclays bank was there (part time) as was the dole office (prior to bridge house at the top end). For the life of me I cannot remember a fish and chip shop between Walter Wilsons and Barrons the chemist. I know just the man to ask and I will try and ask him over the weekend.

My apologies to Mrs Jeeves Foxy. Just as I posted this I remembered the chippy. It wasn't very big and was very narrow, those being served took up most of the room, if you queued inside you had to stand with your back right up against the wall. It is funny how things come to mind when you stop thinking about them. There may have been some seating upstairs, that, I can't remember. Incidently the green car is parked outside Barclays Bank. Edited by keith

Keith,

I took the photo's myself and have the date as 1980 on the coloured one

My apologies to Mrs Jeeves Foxy. Just as I posted this I remembered the chippy. It wasn't very big and was very narrow, those being served took up most of the room, if you queued inside you had to stand with your back right up against the wall. It is funny how things come to mind when you stop thinking about them. There may have been some seating upstairs, that, I can't remember. Incidently the green car is parked outside Barclays Bank.

Is that the Station club ?

It is the station club and thats Jack Chapmans car who was the club chairman in the foreground, Iv'e spoken to a senior citizen from the station tonight and he confirms that the shop in the photo was a fish shop managed by Don Pattie (not sure of the spelling) Wales fish shop also had seats and the lads coming out of the pit used to go here for supper, so it looks like everybody's right. We've had two fish shops in the station with seats, if only we could fill them now!

From memory the Wales' lived right on the West side of Great North Road, Gosforth. Somewhere around the Brunton Park area. Industrious family, but not a commute I'd have fancied!

The newsagent next to Walter Wilson's in the photo is the only place in Bedlington I could get the "Radio Constructor" magazine in Bedlington circa 1960 - would bike down there regularly in the rain. Can even remember some of those covers! :)

From memory the Wales' lived right on the West side of Great North Road, Gosforth. Somewhere around the Brunton Park area. Industrious family, but not a commute I'd have fancied!

The newsagent next to Walter Wilson's in the photo is the only place in Bedlington I could get the "Radio Constructor" magazine in Bedlington circa 1960 - would bike down there regularly in the rain. Can even remember some of those covers! :)

GGG, would it not have been a good idea to wait until it stopped raining :whistle:

Foxy, I spoke to someone in the station this afternoon. He confirmed what you said about Patty's chip shop, the seating area was through the back. People who thought John Wales' fish was better would get their fish up there and their chips at Patty's and vice versa. They would go to one shop and send the kids to the other. Patty's shop caught fire, they were stll using the old coal fired burners for the fryers.

I remember Patties fish and chip shop after going to the wallaw pictures with my dad It was smashing. Tables and chairs and I remember they had a chip cutter next to the friers and I was fascinated by it. Whales at the top was great too It had a big table with forms and salt and vinegar on the table and the fish and chips tasted lovely, mind I 'm telling lies because we could only afford chips with scramshing on the top but they were great times with no money but appreciated anything.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now