What Do You Miss?

Merlin

does anyone know when Ginnie Wilkinsons chippy closed.

I left hirst terrace in 1969 for newbiggin, I,m thinking they knocked hirst terrace down around 1974=5 so maybe 72-73??

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Raisbecks Bus! Now there's a memory! You've talked about all sorts of stripes and colour combinations but my first memories of Raisbecks bus are a plain green bus with a large bonnet up front. We're talking mid 1950s here and it shuttled back and forth between Netherton Colliery and Bedlington station. It even had a conductress called Nelly (Halliday, I beleive). There was no messing about with her. She ran it like a battle ship! She had a heart of gold though and many's the time she'd help lift furniture into the bus for people moving from the colliery rows to West lea. I have a clear memory of sitting on the bus with a double matress in the centre aisle!! That bus ended up as a stationary 'mobile home' behind the then newly built Coop (opposite the institute) and stood there for many years.

• Like 1

Gala day. All the kids who's dads were at Netherton pit were taken to Whitley Bay for the day. The pit buses [bedlington and District Coaches, remember them] were mucked out and washed, we all piled on and headed for Whitley Bay. The kids all got a toy and a goody bag, we spent the day on the beach and in the Spanish City. On the way back, the kids that were'nt asleep, were throwing up 'cos they had too many toffee apples and candy floss

Gala day! I'd forgotten all about that - or maybe i'd just repressed the memory. I was, unfortunately, one of those who threw up all the way home. Couldn't have been the toffee apples or the candy floss that were to blame as I don't like either of them. Travel sickness my mother called it. I had the same problem with the rides at the Spanish City (was that also called the White City at some time)? I can't remember getting a toy either but I remember we got a banana and a white paper bag with 2 sandwhiches and a cake. The sandwhich filling was always tongue, which I didn't like - once 'd found out what it was - and was always full of sand before I could force it down. You can see why I've repressed this memory, can't you!

You from Netherton Keith?

Rhoda`s chip shop in Guide Post.

Having a "sittie down" as a special treat during the school hols, when she would open the side room on a Friday afternoon.

Pie, chips & peas. Oh & as an extra treat; a slice bread & butter! Cut in triangles of course. Bliss!

Kids would laugh at you these days if you offered that up as a something special.

Bring back the simple life.

BH! I genuinly think I regressed there for a minute.

I`m fine now thanks. :dribble:

Foxy, you always come up trumps with the pics. Do you own a Tardis?

Keith whats a Tardis ? and thanks for the pic Foxy it brought back good memories of leaving the Percy and having a feed before stumbling home to Elenbel ave.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like going to a fish and chip shop and sitting down with a meal inc bread and butter and a pot of tea.

Seahouses Brian well worth the drive, the only difficult thing is choosing the one you want to sit in and have your fish'n'chips, bread and tea. In fact I might just have a drive up there this week end! :fish:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now