What Do You Miss?

Merlin

I miss the neighbourhood spirit,unlocked doors open to all! Some things I miss from my child hood are Milk Bottles(sweets) proper ones, Tudor Bovril crisps,Texan bars, being able to play in street without getting ran over by a chav in a super-charged Nova :lol: Waiting for buses that never turned up, ever! STANDING on the terraces at St James' Park, playing Japs 'n' English never Germans 'n' English for some reason! Playing on the pit heaps, getting chased off the farmer with his 'Jelly Gun' :unsure: Tettie picking with same farmer :lol: Being scared of 'The Colliery Polis' Generally having fun and not knowing what 'white lightning' was and not being bothered anyway!

Am gettin auld :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

getting chased by wadie for pinching his snaggies! (chased by the local farmer for stealing swedes!) pops mobile shop and setting the woods on fire! :lol:

How about tettie pickin fer wadie and when he took the tractor back ti the farm we hauled sacks of tetties over to the railway tracks and sold them to the engineer on the train, then we had rotten tettie fights!! what a stink??

getting chased by wadie for pinching his snaggies! (chased by the local farmer for stealing swedes!) pops mobile shop and setting the woods on fire! :lol:

We pinched his snaggies and his tetties and his conkers from the trees next to the big house I wish I had a pound for everytime we got "chased". :P

Westons Waggon Wheels - the original ones and not the tiny modern ones - from the general dealer West of Smails (which is now the lighting shop).

Sweets from Bacchi's in the Market Place.

2d and 3d bars of Cadburys chocolate from Watsons Newsagents. (1d = 2.4p!) The Dandy, Beano, Topper, Lion, and especially The Eagle from same - even Film Fun (pretty dated even then!).

Fish & Chips from Mrs Gates at the Market Place Chippy - never got food poisoning there! tongue.gif

Warlord comic and commando books. Camping oot on the football field and some kind of minty black liquorice sweets in a white box which I can't for the life of me remember the name of,. bout the same size of a tab box. Finding cards in the tea packets.

Westons Waggon Wheels - the original ones and not the tiny modern ones

sure they didn't look bigger as you where smaller?

The smell of Sunday dinner cooking when you came back from playing down the woods

i it will now be the smell of kangaroos cooking on the bbq! :lol:

RE: Raisbeck busses, i remember there being 2 orange ones, then they bought a brans spanking white one (As pictured) to take over the general timetable, and the orange ones being used for the school runs up to Bedlington station and back at the relevant times.

sure they didn't look bigger as you where smaller?

i it will now be the smell of kangaroos cooking on the bbq! :lol:

still not as good as a sunday beef roast

Lamb and fresh mint from the garden, I can taste it now...drool :lol: And the yorkshire puds, I wish I could make them like my grannie used to, an leek pudding, an rabbit pie with a crust an inch thick with the cup in the middle to stop the pastry sagging. What we have lost by not taking notice :( :(

Lamb and fresh mint from the garden, I can taste it now...drool :lol: And the yorkshire puds, I wish I could make them like my grannie used to, an leek pudding, an rabbit pie with a crust an inch thick with the cup in the middle to stop the pastry sagging. What we have lost by not taking notice :( :(

We have my cousin and his wife over here for a holiday, they are from Bedlington and she is a cracking good Geordie cook. i think i have put on 10kilo's since she has been here ............. :P :P

All of the above! Dan Dare & Mighty Meakon! 40 Berkley Square (Eagle) Picking williks, Tettie guns, Picking the tar with a stick, Beatle Drives, Saturday morning flix (Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Batman) "Welcome to Workers Playtime" Take your pick, Dixon of Dock Green (evening all) Muffin the Mule (OMG!) B**** & W**** show. Terry O'neil's One O'clock show (nah, not realy) Chips in paper (outside

i tell somthing i dont miss....the back ramp of Tescos! lol

(tried pushing 10 trollys up it!! lol)

it would have to be Industry of the Area, Blyth Power Station, Ellington Colliery.

(remember seeing these working as a kid) and just remember the old railway depot at Cambois.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now