After a trial run in Morpeth, Greggs in Bedlington will start charging for their bags as of next week 1p for small and 2p for large. Doesn't this company make enough money? Well I for one won't be using this shop again so the £6.42p I spent today will stay in my pocket next week so they will have to sell 642 1p bags to make up for that won't they. I may add that I am not the only one with this opinion so if you multiply this by say 2 for every greggs shop they are going to have to sell one heck of a lot of bags just to make up for lost custom!

Good luck to them, but they probably don't need it!

'Freshly baked today' That's a laugh after they stood in freezer for 6 month!

Edited by Merlin

This post has been moved from TOTT! Why have other posts not been moved ie:- The Wharton Arms, Empty Deli, Make Fast Food Restaurant In Bedlington, Another Vacant Shop Occupied, Red Lion Restaurant, Spar and finally Tesco Plans Being Formally Submitted. Surely these are CONSUMER orientated! <_<

After a trial run in Morpeth, Greggs in Bedlington will start charging for their bags as of next week 1p for small and 2p for large. Doesn't this company make enough money? Well I for one won't be using this shop again so the £6.42p I spent today will stay in my pocket next week so they will have to sell 642 1p bags to make up for that won't they. I may add that I am not the only one with this opinion so if you multiply this by say 2 for every greggs shop they are going to have to sell one heck of a lot of bags just to make up for lost custom!

Good luck to them, but they probably don't need it!

'Freshly baked today' That's a laugh after they stood in freezer for 6 month!

I emailed them at the beginning of March about this. I had visited the Morpeth shop, bought a heap of things, waited on a bag (didn`t get offered one)so i asked for a one, and the women turned round and said `if you want a bag you`ll have to pay for it` (said in a snotty way)..needless to say, i didn`t. I told her to keep it.

If i hadn`t of been fuming at the time and thinking straight, i would have returned the goods i had just bought and got my money back, but i stomped out the shop, juggling with my sausage rolls instead :lol:

This is the reply i got from the email..

Dear Sir,( :blink: )

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. At Greggs we are committed to an

on-going programme of continual reduction of any adverse impacts to the

environment.

We are currently trialling 1p and 2p carrier bags in a selection of shops in the

North East, Morpeth is one of the trial shops however Bedlington is not. All

profits from the bags will go to the Greggs Foundation to help support local

environmental projects. We appreciate all customer feedback and I will pass on

your comments to our Brand Retail Team.

With regards to the attitude of the staff member in the Morpeth shop, I will

pass on your comments to the Area manager to ensure that all staff members are

aware of the importance of customer service.

Kind regards

Claire Florey

Customer Care Team

(notice the nice apology?) me neither <_<

This post has been moved from TOTT! Why have other posts not been moved ie:- The Wharton Arms, Empty Deli, Make Fast Food Restaurant In Bedlington, Another Vacant Shop Occupied, Red Lion Restaurant, Spar and finally Tesco Plans Being Formally Submitted. Surely these are CONSUMER orientated! dry.gif

No they are not! This thread is DIRECTLY related to commerce. For the others the connection is indirect, or incidental.

i.e. Vacant shop now occupied = Town News. Former vacant shop does great pies = Consumer News.

The test: is the post about something - an article or service - being directly bought or sold? It gets a bit hazy when someone says why can't I buy xxxxx in Bedders, but if someone asks where can I buy xxxxx there's a direct intention to buy being expressed, so it's consumer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might be interesting to ponder over this..........

Someone buys land and plants a forest. It takes years and years for the wood to grow to commercial viability all the while people are employed looking after it. Once it reaches viability workers go in and cut it down. It is then transported to a wood mill where once again people are employed to size it. Some of it goes to a pulp mill where again it is treated and eventually leaves as paper rolls. That goes to another factory where paper bags are made. Those bags are then sold to shops who then give them away free?

Ok there are inbuilt charges on the shop produce to take the costings into account but essentially there are a lot of people getting paid and a lot of money invested to produce something which is seen as a free by product.

Greggs have taken out a cost yet they will retain the income, in reality they have put up whatever you buy in those bags by 1p and most people will not even think about it!

That's the easiest way to accommodate the bag crisis, just put up the average cost of 10 products up by a percentage that equates to what the government want you to charge, then you get a free bag with every 10 items, which isn't really free, because you have paid for it by buying the items in the first place.

Then, if you bring your own bags, you could get the discount, with some sort of loyalty card?

its a bit much moaning over a 1p laugh.gif

I used to work for a well known mobile telecoms giant, and the amount of angry people called up kicking off over a 1p charge was laughable, the ironic thing was most would be calling from their landline to a mobile number !! (Can't remember what the charge was for now, something like delivery a delivery report)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now