The Wharton Arms

I've heard there was an advertisment in The News Post Leader for The Wharton Arms?

Is it up for sale?

If so, anyone know how much?

You fancy it, Mr Darn????

As far as I know it's a tied house, so it is unlikely to be up for sale as such but looking for someone to take on the lease. Who owns it, because I don't think - unusually - it's Punch Taverns!

If i had the money spare to buy it outright, yes, i'd have a crack at it!

As for "up for sale" i believe the asking price is to buy the current landlady out, and pay for fixtures, fittings and stock. it will still be under punch (i also believe thats who runs it)

Since i dont, and theres no way i'd deal with punch (i had dealing with them at The Dun Cow) then its totally out of my price range.

Apparently "family curcumstances" is the reason???

If i had the money spare to buy it outright, yes, i'd have a crack at it!

As for "up for sale" i believe the asking price is to buy the current landlady out, and pay for fixtures, fittings and stock. it will still be under punch (i also believe thats who runs it)

Since i dont, and theres no way i'd deal with punch (i had dealing with them at The Dun Cow) then its totally out of my price range.

Apparently "family curcumstances" is the reason???

I know that the previous Landlady died last year and I think there were some people running it temporarly till they sorted out everything before they could put it up for sale.

There's was a limited company formed in 2008 - but it hasn't filed any accounts.

http://wck2.companie...362/compdetails

With beer up again at the budget my guess is you'd be struggling right from the off. So, perhaps just as well! Wonder how many more pubs Mr Darling has closed this time?

Though perhaps you could offer the directors/executors a tenner to take the company off their hands. Then if you have to fold it you'd be in the clear yourself. I'm assuming it's that company that holds the lease.

There's was a limited company formed in 2008 - but it hasn't filed any accounts.

http://wck2.companie...362/compdetails

With beer up again at the budget my guess is you'd be struggling right from the off. So, perhaps just as well! Wonder how many more pubs Mr Darling has closed this time?

Though perhaps you could offer the directors/executors a tenner to take the company off their hands. Then if you have to fold it you'd be in the clear yourself. I'm assuming it's that company that holds the lease.

The limited company is a common practice by those who take on tied houses to ensure they are not going to lose their houses should the venture go under. The lease is held - for the time agreed - by said company, but the premises are owned throughout by the brewery (or in this case, if Mr Darn is right, Punch Taverns), as are the fixtures and fittings. I'm not sure Claire is right in saying the current landlady is a stop gap, as I believe she bought the lease at the going rate from Punch. Curiously, it is not listed on the Punch website as either a lease for sale or a business transfer.

I'm not sure Claire is right in saying the current landlady is a stop gap, as I believe she bought the lease at the going rate from Punch. Curiously, it is not listed on the Punch website as either a lease for sale or a business transfer.

Or she bought the company, or a controlling interest therein? Which would be why Punch doesn't see it as a change. Easy to check online, but there's a small fee to pay.

I have looked too Merc and can't find it, as well as other pub for sale chains, and I assume you are right about the status of the current landlady.

The Percy is up for £46K if anyone is interested.

nah the beer stinks! :lol:

the 'family circumstances' is that the guy that owned it (David Nesbitt) died

I thought it was his wife who took on the lease; he certainly didn't own it.

I agree Merc... it was Louise and her brother who took it over, after Brian Young died a while ago.

I had not heared anything about a female death? It wasn't Marge was it?

It is true that Louise's Husband died not too long ago. Sad times for the family, you can understand why she would be finding it too much now.

Anyone got a copy of the News Post Leader from a week or two ago to confirm its up for sale?

I agree Merc... it was Louise and her brother who took it over, after Brian Young died a while ago.

It is true that Louise's Husband died not too long ago. Sad times for the family, you can understand why she would be finding it too much now.

Anyone got a copy of the News Post Leader from a week or two ago to confirm its up for sale?

Yeah it was Marge I was taking about. She was a friend of the family. :(

I thought it was his wife who took on the lease; he certainly didn't own it.

Don't know, its his family anyway and thats the family circumstances. There's a facebook group for David Nesbitt if anyone's interested: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=311672807920&ref=search&sid=614301727.1236765794..1

Edited by Sarah

Buying kegs of beer other than from brewery, brewery finding out, agreeing to brewery fitting meters to pumps after paying fine(in region of 2 grand) yes I agree this would be very hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buying kegs of beer other than from brewery, brewery finding out, agreeing to brewery fitting meters to pumps after paying fine(in region of 2 grand) yes I agree this would be very hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take it you have proof of this?

Or are you talking from hear-say again?

really? Now that is weird because it's my understanding that all Punch houses are electronically metered with a direct usage count going to headquarters to begin with; it can't be bypassed. Never been in the cellar in the Wharton, but that's what I understand. It would be difficult, also, to buy the beers that the bar sells from 'elsewhere' without 'elsewhere' letting Punch know, as the supplier of John Smiths, carling etc would be the same one Punch used. I doubt this happened, to be honest. From what i've heard, she's simply not making a living.

really? Now that is weird because it's my understanding that all Punch houses are electronically metered with a direct usage count going to headquarters to begin with; it can't be bypassed. Never been in the cellar in the Wharton, but that's what I understand. It would be difficult, also, to buy the beers that the bar sells from 'elsewhere' without 'elsewhere' letting Punch know, as the supplier of John Smiths, carling etc would be the same one Punch used. I doubt this happened, to be honest. From what i've heard, she's simply not making a living.

I think Merlin was referring to the Red Lion?

Mercury not all are metered hence signs in the windows,just after they were found out, This pub is closed due to supply problems. In other words we been caught scamming and the brewery wont give us any beer till we pay up!

Darnie, that is privilaged information :o

Mercury not all are metered hence signs in the windows,just after they were found out, This pub is closed due to supply problems. In other words we been caught scamming and the brewery wont give us any beer till we pay up!

That came in the middle of the cold spell when the dray couldn't get here. It was the same at the Tavern at that exact time. I'm pretty certain that all Punch bars are metered with a direct link to the headquarters - like I said, i've seen it elsewhere but haven't been into the cellar at the Wharton.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now