Who's Responsiblity Is It To Sort Out Bedlington?

I have been following a thread on here 'A Rant about Bedlington' which has been very interesting and provoked some great debate.

It has made me reflect on who's accountable and responsible for sorting out all of the challenges we face as a community- Us or the people in power?

My reflections have brought me to the conclusion that while we all share the responsibility to make any improvements work, the ACCOUNTIBILIY to deliver those improvements should sit fairly and squarely with the people who take their salaries from our hard earned wages via taxes! We hold down jobs and take accountability for delivering to our customers, why shouldn't they!?

The point of the post is that I don't even know who these people are never mind whether or not they care...

Lets see if anyone even knows the names or whereabouts of our councillors – the people who should be representing our views and fighting the fight to improve our town... any sightings of these mythical beasts should be posted on here! We could always get that bloke from 'Monster Hunter' to track one of them down or at least prove or disprove their existence!!

If there are any councillors reading this... please post a response and let us know your thoughts too... after all there are two sides to every argument!

• Like 4

It is certainly the elected officials duty to listen to the public who elected them, then act as they see fit, (but not always necessarily the way the electors feel they should.) there are often many legal or financial considerations that are not known to the public.

How well do you know your councilors? have you been to any council meetings or talked or e-mailed them to tell them of your concerns? (not only you but all of the readers) Living here in a small community it is very easy to for us to all that, as we work, live and play very closely, my point is they are elected but only if you vote for them!

At work yesterday a good friend of mine said he is being asked to run for Mayor or at least for council, he sees the core of the council being local businessmen with their own agendas! a few years ago my plumber was almost elected as Mayor!!! (failed by less than 20 votes.) We have our council minutes posted on a web site, I read them and often follow up by going to a meeting or sending an e-mail, our local newspaper is a good means of telling the council what the people really think!

I think we have many capable readers here who should get involved with the council and the community in general, great ideas and enthusiasm but only lack the formal skills, I'm sure the council read this web site, use it to tell them what you think!

Respectively submitted, Sorry for the rant! :wub:

• Like 4

At least two of them are here, so go easy on them and the rest will discover that they don't need to keep their heads down, or hide behind heavily censored websites. I think the Internet means that those who don't engage - or worse, only pretend they engage - are a soon-to-be-extinct species.

Go out and vote for those that engage, even if you don't agree with everything they say. And vote against those who hide behind spin-doctors and party dogma. That has to be the way to restore some sort of grass-roots democracy.

But you need to understand that our local councillors only have limited powers, and very limited budgets. The recent changes were - as usual - the very minimum that those at the top of the power pyramid could get away with. This is our fault for putting up with this (and not seeing through it), and not those people who are putting themselves in the firing line of public disquiet.

There was a time when our democracy was a lot more "robust", and there were public debates that weren't controlled by spin-doctors. But yes, the answer to your question is that it's OUR fault for letting things get into such a state.

• Like 2

I don't think that anyone need feel inhibited from posting any issues/concerns. However, with the new Parish/Town Councils there has been a layer of local democracy introduced. For me personally, localism is the ticket on which I stood for election and because councillors at this level are unpaid the flow of ideas should come from the local residents "up over". This should work fine in principle (and I think posts on here show that it can and does work) but, the County Council structure has not been replaced and is still intact. This layer of Goverment does not work in the same way (although it should) because it is more political and therefore more liable to be dominated by National or Regional Policy. In addition, many of the councillors at Parish/Town level are also County Councillors and therefore have a least one eye on the "bigger picture".

I believe that this inhibits localism from being as effective as it might otherwise be. However, because Parish/Town Councillors live locally in the communities they serve they are in a better position to understand and represent local people, whether or not they personnally agree with a particular issue.

Anyone who wishes is free to contact me in this regard. After all, I was elected to serve my local community and it is my intention to do so to the best of my ability.

• Like 4

After recieving my Council Tax bill last night, I have changed my mind! ALL of the responsibility sits with the council!!!

We have a population of some 15,500 people in Bedlington lets say that the average household is 2 that is almost 8,000 council tax bills collected. If the average is £100 per month (which I think is probably less that the true average). That means the council is collecting £800k a month or c£10m per year from households. Thats before you take business rates, government budgets and all of the other sources of income into consideration.

Now I know the bin men get a decent salary but........

• Like 1

Two points,

first congratulations Dajazar for coming out of the shadows on a difficult issue! I think your post has the most number of positive reps for a single post, might be a lesson there for other councillors!

Second

Jim, the average used by council in these matters in band D which translates to £148 a month or just under 12M a year, given your population figure. (You have to multiply by 10 not 12 for the annual!) If you look a bit closer you will see a Parish Precept of just under £23 which would mean county get £125 a month, now who gets most of the blame?

The last post was Tongue in cheek! sorry Deb and Malcolm...

But seriously though.... How the money is carved up behind the scene doesn't hange the fact that Bedlington is generating possibly twice as much in council tax as it was 15 years ago and the facilities we have are very very poor! Morpeth, Blyth, cramlington, Newbiggan all have leisure centres just as one example!

Where ever the blame should be placed... I am sure it isn't withthe people shelling out the taxes!

Dejazar - well done for speaking up!! It would have been easy to read these comments and walk away! Could you give us some guidance on what we should/ could do next as a community??

First congratulations Dajazar for coming out of the shadows on a difficult issue! I think your post has the most number of positive reps for a single post, might be a lesson there for other councillors!

A quick search through the members list reveals several .gov.uk email addresses so the fact they are reading is at least somewhat encouraging.

Jim, the average used by council in these matters in band D which translates to £148 a month or just under 12M a year, given your population figure. (You have to multiply by 10 not 12 for the annual!) If you look a bit closer you will see a Parish Precept of just under £23 which would mean county get £125 a month, now who gets most of the blame?

Sorry misinformation warning!!!!!!! :wacko:

The parish precept is per annum so that would make it the county gets £146 out of the total £148 figure! Actually makes it worse not better!

All ideas are welcome.I would encourage anyone to come along to the Town council meetings and put suggestions up for discussion. Alternatively, anyone can approach me or another of the councillors to request that the matter be raised at the next meeting or write to us care of the Town Clerk. I would say that as much information as you can provide about the idea, the better. For example, any foreseen problems or costs and most importantly, how it will be of benefit to the community? Please do not worry about whether the idea is "good enough", feel free to raise it. Remember that politics isn't an important issue here, it is about improving the lives of all residents not narrow political gain.

The format of the council meetings can seem a little stilted to some. This is because it is important that council business be conducted within a narrow time frame. As a result, there is only a short period of time for residents to put questions to councillors. This is unavoidable but please feel free to approach any of us afterwards with your ideas/concerns/comments etc. If anyone wants to contact me my details are on here.

Lets put Bedlington first for a change and work together to achieve it. :)

Thanks Dajazar!

Could you take some of the content of this thread to the council and ask those at the meeting to read it... I think this is a fair representation of how the majority of Bedlington feels. When you read the underlying tone of the posts people put on here it is almost as if they have given up on the town altogether!

We need to give you some detail I agree, but the incetive of knowing that it will be listened to and more importantly, acted upon first would help to motivate people to get you that detail!

I have only been a member of the website for about 4 months and there must have been at least two dozen or more threads similar to this and the same things come up again and again;

- The state of Elliot's Garage

- Empty Pubs

- The old school

- The number of empty commercial/ retail premises

- The poor or cumbersome planning process limiting progress and development

- Lack of facilities and services (Leisure centre etc)

- Tesco re-development

- The market place

So, if you could raise these things and come back to us with which the council would be prepared to investigate further and perhaps take some action on, we could come up with some detail for you?

Would that work?

• Like 1

copied and pasted e-mail I got today:

Thank your for your letter to the Councillor Pegg expressing concerns about Bedlington.

I am writing on behalf of West Bedlington Town Council ( WBTC) to inform you about the current situation.

Bedlington library is scheduled to stay open.

Councillor Pegg and I have had 2 meetings with Northumberland County Council (NCC) about Bedlington Community

Centre and expressed the view that it should not be closed.

WBTC will continue to talk to NCC about the Community Centre expressing the same view.

WBTC is a relatively new Council but has :

-Announced a "community chest scheme" from 1 April with a budget of £5,000

-Taken new services from NCC - allotments, play areas and bus shelters are being transferred to WBTC control from 1 April, which will be followed by more services in the following 2-3 years.

Announced that it is looking to provide summer events in Bedlington for the benefit of the general community.

-Signed a lease for an office from early April in Bedlington " Council Offices" which will provide an easier contact point for everyone.

The Council would like suggestions from forums, groups and residents about what services or events they would like the Council to provide or improve.

Please contact WBTC at any time if you would like to discuss any points further or would like more information.

Regards

John

John Nicholson

Town Clerk

West Bedlington Town Council

• Like 2

Thanks Dajazar!

Could you take some of the content of this thread to the council and ask those at the meeting to read it... I think this is a fair representation of how the majority of Bedlington feels. When you read the underlying tone of the posts people put on here it is almost as if they have given up on the town altogether!

We need to give you some detail I agree, but the incetive of knowing that it will be listened to and more importantly, acted upon first would help to motivate people to get you that detail!

I have only been a member of the website for about 4 months and there must have been at least two dozen or more threads similar to this and the same things come up again and again;

- The state of Elliot's Garage

- Empty Pubs

- The old school

- The number of empty commercial/ retail premises

- The poor or cumbersome planning process limiting progress and development

- Lack of facilities and services (Leisure centre etc)

- Tesco re-development

- The market place

So, if you could raise these things and come back to us with which the council would be prepared to investigate further and perhaps take some action on, we could come up with some detail for you?

Would that work?

Hi

These points above have been talked about regularly at meetings but bearing in mind that the Town Council is very much a new body which is still finding its feet.

There is no doubt alot further for them to go. It is disappointing that there are so many negatives but at the same time if gripes are not raised then we dont know how people feel.

You can contact the Town council through our the Town Clerk for Bedlington West Town Council.

:)

I've been on holiday so I've come into this debate a bit late, though I see Dajazar has given info about the town council.

I'd only add that though it is the town and county councillors' responsibility to revive Bedlington, we can't do it alone. We'll be launching a grants scheme from April to give money to people who have ideas to set up activities in Bedlington, whether they are sports, arts, crafts, martial arts, music, dancing, cooking and whatever a group of people would like to do (legal, decent and honest!) that would make Bedlington a better place to live. Those ideas and activities are going to have to come from the community though.

We know also that people want more shops in the town centre, and they are only going to come if national chains or local businesses take the commercial risk. So somehow investors need to get good information about the market here - what local shops will people really use, and are we likely to use them enough to make them viable?

I've been on holiday so I've come into this debate a bit late, though I see Dajazar has given info about the town council.

I'd only add that though it is the town and county councillors' responsibility to revive Bedlington, we can't do it alone. We'll be launching a grants scheme from April to give money to people who have ideas to set up activities in Bedlington, whether they are sports, arts, crafts, martial arts, music, dancing, cooking and whatever a group of people would like to do (legal, decent and honest!) that would make Bedlington a better place to live. Those ideas and activities are going to have to come from the community though.

We know also that people want more shops in the town centre, and they are only going to come if national chains or local businesses take the commercial risk. So somehow investors need to get good information about the market here - what local shops will people really use, and are we likely to use them enough to make them viable?

Is this the £5,000 Community Chest? If so, it's not much to work with! You should set up a new discussion on here asking people to submit ideas about activities etc.. This forum is excellent but the trouble is excellent posts relating to an issue can emerge in various categories.I'll put something on Save Bedlington facebook page too

• Like 1

Not happy with meeting re: sports facilities tonight. No further forward in my eyes and it was said the community centre is to close??? It seems to me Bedlington never gets the full cake.. it just gets the crumbs or nowt at all! The residents are speaking up though as everyone has had enough! More rants n info to follow!!

erm... just to let you know Jim - my other half's a bin man and they don't get a decent salary!!

Do they deserve a decent salary now? I mean they get a holiday every second week (cardboard and plastic bottles must be very hard to wheel about :lol: ) Then they can't pick a bin liner up (ooooooooooh! me back :lol: ) Garden waste bags are alright to pick up though they are twice the weight of of a bin liner but no problem of a bad back there as we are helping the planet, God forbid they'll have to break into a sweat! The best one is they still expect their xmas tips :D :D :D :D

Not happy with meeting re: sports facilities tonight. No further forward in my eyes and it was said the community centre is to close??? It seems to me Bedlington never gets the full cake.. it just gets the crumbs or nowt at all! The residents are speaking up though as everyone has had enough! More rants n info to follow!!

I thought the purpose of tonights meeting was to give the results of the "feasibility study", which I thought it did very well. What most of the residents of Bedlington would like is a full blown sports centre, and it seems to me that there are never going to be enough people to use such a facility at the prices it would have to charge to make it viable. As the guy from KKP said, their brief was to provide a "feasibility study" not a "desireability study". Edited by ex Bedlingtonian
  • Like 1

I thought the purpose of tonights meeting was to give the results of the "feasibility study", which I thought it did very well. What most of the residents of Bedlington would like is a full blown sports centre, and it seems to me that there are never going to be enough people to use such a facility at the prices it would have to charge to make it viable. As the guy from KKP said, their brief was to provide a "feasibility study" not a "desireability study".

Does this mean that the idea of a community centre in Bedlington can finally be laid to rest?

• 2 weeks later...

So the community centre looks set to close? And the sport/leisure facilities looks like a "never gonna happen""? Are our MP's and local councillors going to do anything or are they happy to represent a Ghost Town? it's near election time - they want to get their fingers out asap!!!! Us residents have had enough of Bedders being neglected. :angry:

So the community centre looks set to close? And the sport/leisure facilities looks like a "never gonna happen""? Are our MP's and local councillors going to do anything or are they happy to represent a Ghost Town? it's near election time - they want to get their fingers out asap!!!! Us residents have had enough of Bedders being neglected. :angry:

Debra I am a little older than you and this subject about US getting leisure facilities has been the subject of conversation of supposed councilors for decades, :blink: its one of those things that ALWAYS gets a mention coincidentally at voting times funny that :rolleyes:

Debra I am a little older than you and this subject about US getting leisure facilities has been the subject of conversation of supposed councilors for decades, :blink: its one of those things that ALWAYS gets a mention coincidentally at voting times funny that :rolleyes:

I know- I remember at West end first school when I was a bairn us getting asked what we wanted in Bedlington n we said swimming pool/leisure centre back then!! there are a lot of people who have lived here all their lives and they are sick of us having nowt, never mind those that haven't lived here long! we got no shops, no leisure facilities, no nowt - and the little bits we've had and cling on to are being taken away from us! Everyone who lives here has had enough by the looks of things, but who's going to do owt about it? our voices don't seem to count! :angry:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now