Another Vacant Shop Occupied

I`m puzzled as to why this place is needed, as the job centre has the use of free phones and all the newest jobs are on the touch-screen computers? Also, that `Help Hub` is only open twice a week (or 3 days a week, as both times are given in the article)

An i missing something here?

they'll be getting some kind of grant money to opperate no doubt!

why is it run by volunteers? huh.gif could they not hire people there trying to help?

It's all there in the news story Mons. Somebody took the trouble to write it; all you need to do is read it! smile.gif

Thanks for your comments guys.

As one of the people behind the new Help Hub, thought I'd clarify a few things:

1) We are not at present getting any grant money to operate it on an ongoing basis (we did get a salary for one person for two months from Vodafone [thanks Vodafone] to help us with setting it up, but that's all finished now.

2) And that is part of the explanation as to why it is run mainly by volunteers [Actually, one guy will be paid for 2 days, but we plan to open the bub 3 days a week, and need at least 2 people on duty all the time, so the rest is volunteers]. We don't have the money to pay people. And people in County Church are happy to volunteer in this way to help the Communnity as a whole

3) is it needed? We'll let's see. One point I would make is the difficulty in applying for benefits, tax rebates etc. I had to phone the tax office the other day and they only give an 0845 number. I was on the phone for 20 minutes, pressing one option, then another, listening to recorded announcements, before they finally said all their operators were busy and cut me off. If I had only had a mobile phone, that call would have cost me about £10. In the bub its free.

4) The Job Centre themselves obviously think a service like this is needed which is why they have joined forces with NEWS (Northumberland Employability and Work Service) and Northumberland Business Services Ltd to open similar services (theirs just 1 day a week) in Blyth, Ashington, Morpeth ... but not Bedlington. We are trying to do something for Bedlington here.

5) But if it is not needed, is there some other kind of community service you would find more helpful? We'd be interested in ideas though of course we can't make any promises.

Den

• Like 3

I'm naturally drawn to the fact that internet facilities (and technical support for non-savvy users?) will be made available. Anything that can get rid of people's fear of technology around here is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I think this is a geat Idea. On one of the comments above you have mentioned that the job centre have phones that people can use for free. yes this is true, but have you tried to use them??? It's horrid... The phones are really quite and all you can hear are Kids screaming in the back ground. (not the best first impression when appling for a job) and the other key face. there is no Internet access at the job centre.

A question to Den...

Great Idea by the way.

Do you have coloured printers??? The only reason im asking is because a lot of job, you have to send a CV?? and there are still alot of people who dont have a computer let alone a printer??

The job centre off help to write a CV but have no means to print in off????

I hope some of that made sense.x

Replying to last comment from Stephen:

There is a black and white printer in the Help Hub - not colour - but black and white should be ok for CVs.

You can make a CV in the Help Hub, email it somewhere, and print it off to take home so you've got a copy of what you sent.

Also, many jobs make you fill in an online form. You can print this off as well, so you know what you've said if you get invited for an interview.

One thing we can't do though at present is let you brink in disks or sticks to modify a cv you've already made. Sorry, this creates a virus risk for our PCs

We don't see ourselves as being technical experts who know everything about the technology. Just trying to offer a basic service. For those who find they can do everything they need in the Job Centre - fine. We don't want to create a problem if there isn't one. We aim to offer a basic service of helping people who need to apply for jobs and benefits

Den

There is a black and white printer in the Help Hub - not colour - but black and white should be ok for CVs.

And will save on costs. Colour ink is a fortune these days.
One thing we can't do though at present is let you brink in disks or sticks to modify a cv you've already made. Sorry, this creates a virus risk for our PCs
More than you would think!

Some of the more worrying viruses out there are using the "AutoRun" feature used by USB pens to spread themselves. I'm sure any advice you would need could be addressed in the "computer help" section.

You can make a CV in the Help Hub, email it somewhere, and print it off to take home so you've got a copy of what you sent.

Also, many jobs make you fill in an online form. You can print this off as well, so you know what you've said if you get invited for an interview.

We don't see ourselves as being technical experts who know everything about the technology. Just trying to offer a basic service. For those who find they can do everything they need in the Job Centre - fine. We don't want to create a problem if there isn't one. We aim to offer a basic service of helping people who need to apply for jobs and benefits

Den

Den, another question for you - the internet symbol in your window looks like a WiFi symbol, does this mean you have a wireless hotspot?

It would be great if a decent area of the Front Street and market place area was covered by wireless internet, it's a reason for people to spend a bit more time in the town centre (however small a reason that is).

Den

The only problem I can see with that is the CV. If you apply for a job online 99% of the time you have to upload your CV!! and if you can't, this will put a lot of people using the service as people won't sit there and type there C,V allover again??? Just a thought!!

The only problem I can see with that is the CV. If you apply for a job online 99% of the time you have to upload your CV!! and if you can't, this will put a lot of people using the service as people won't sit there and type there C,V allover again??? Just a thought!!

Surely once you've created it you can store it on the system.

I think he refers to a CV youve spent hours on at home, only to not be able to upload it because you have no internet.

Not being able to put it onto a flash drive or disk and take it somewhere with internet access is a pain, but understandable.

What the place really needs is a few hours a week from a local IT expert, who can advise and maintain a safe working practise.

Its over my head at the moment, or i would have offered myself, but is there anyone who would voulenteer? Perhaps in exchange for some local website advertising or similer? :D :D

Surely once you've created it you can store it on the system.

Not necessarily, but I get your point.

Though understandable, prohibiting people from using removeable drives to transfer files could be enough to render the entire project worthless. Having people use the computers to type up CVs when they could be prepared elsewhere might create a backlog of people who really do need to use the computers. There are a few half-decent free AV and anti spyware applications out there which could be of use in these circumstances.

As Mobius said - install some good anti-virus software. As they are public access computers connected to the internet they should have this anyway.

Stephen - the library has a coloured printer and charges a small fee for prints. They allow the use of memory sticks too - so long as they can scan them at the front desk for viruses first.

or stop moaning and type it up on your own computer or even scan the original! talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill! :lol:

How is it moaning??? All we are doing is bringing to light the problems that they may encounter if you cant take a memory stick???

Welcome to Monsta's world of wind ups.... :blink::rolleyes:

Anything to get a reaction, even if its not his view! :D :D

-------------------------------------

As for the PC problems, as i said, posting in the computer help section would get you a few ideas, just like installing a good antivirus, and anti-malware applications, disabling "AutoRuns", using a "Scan Removable Media On Insertion" rules, and running the public accessed accounts in limited mode, as well as others to do with networking protection.

Advice on just which ones to install, will be another argument entirely, as myself and others prefer free applications that do just as good a job, whilst Monsta and others prefer "Paid For" programs, with which you get some extras you actually might be interested in. (And may actually need, since its not for "home use" you might not be eligible for free versions.)

Edited by Mr Darn

Don't think the new discount fashion shop will last long. Went with elderly neighbour I help go shopping with and you go in the door and they straight at you like vultures. Nobody likes to be snared as they enter a shop.. they like to browse without being pushed into looking at items to ensure a sale.Another shop that won't last long me fears!! :(

Don't think the new discount fashion shop will last long. Went with elderly neighbour I help go shopping with and you go in the door and they straight at you like vultures. Nobody likes to be snared as they enter a shop.. they like to browse without being pushed into looking at items to ensure a sale.Another shop that won't last long me fears!! :(

Thanks for the warning, i`ll not be stepping foot inside the place if that`s the way they go on, i can`t bide shops like that.

ha ha! I can't bide that either.. you go in and they straight at you."can I help you?" erm no.. just looking. "have you seen this n that?" erm.. I'm just looking thanks n they watching you look! folk don't like that n a nearly said so! maybe they read stuff on here n get the message ! sure they had a shop in Bedlington before.. at Market Place?

ha ha! I can't bide that either.. you go in and they straight at you."can I help you?" erm no.. just looking. "have you seen this n that?" erm.. I'm just looking thanks n they watching you look! folk don't like that n a nearly said so! maybe they read stuff on here n get the message ! sure they had a shop in Bedlington before.. at Market Place?

Has he got a curtain for a changing room? does it have cameras in the ceiling? :o

• 1 month later...

or stop moaning and type it up on your own computer or even scan the original! talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill! :lol:

humpfh!! some people eh ? lol.. its al me ,me ,me these days,!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now