Storey's Buildings Choppington

Mention of place names brings to mind that few people are aware how Scotland Gate came by it's name. It is dimly supposed that it came from a battle between the Scots who had come over the Border on one of their marauding cattle stealing expeditions, and the inhabitants of that district. That is not so, however. Nearly everybody is aware that all the fields on a farm have distinctive names, and it happened that a field behind the plantation was called Scotland. A roadway from the main road was made through among the trees which had been cut down, and this was enclosed by a large iron gate. One house after another was built near it, (but on the opposite side) so they naturally became known as those at Scotland Gate, hence the present name.

from an original and rare document dated 1901.

more on our new website : www.sixtmedia.org.uk

get some topics going on our heritage and see what we can dig up of interest.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

John, it is rather simple thanks to the innovative forum software the Bedlington.co.uk site is using.

• Scroll to the bottom of the thread that you would like to reply to and click the More Reply Options.

XmlGS.png

• This will take you to the advanced posting options where you can format the post you want to make. Below the text area is the Attach Files section.

XqUzS.png

• If you click the Browse it will open the Folder explorer to your computer where you can navigate to the folder where the pictures are stored. Select the file that you want to upload and click Ok.

3dUPx.png

• Once you have done this make sure you click the Attach This File button before clicking Add Reply, you should see a cursor indicating that the file is uploading. When it has finished you can click the Add Reply button.

G0x1T.png

Edited by Brettly

This engraving of the proposed bridge at Stakeford is from 1904.

However, a cheaper version was decided instead of this.

Now as my previous post on this a, Joe Mason, the master mason, was involved in the building of this.

With the pic of the Queens Head, Guide Post, and the horse and trap, Joe is holding the horses head.

I hope this helps in the history topic.

me pic aint showing.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

• 6 months later...

I was researching my family tree and I found some ancestors in "Rutter's Buildings" in Scotland Gate, Choppington.

Not knowing where they were I found this site and others that mentioned them. I looked at old maps and discovered where they were. On the same site I found another location for Storey's Buildings also in Choppington.

The site was www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

If you put in the co-ordinates 425594 583614 on the above site you find Storey's Buildings near the Sleek Burn opposite Willow Bridge, just north of the old Lord Clyde PH (now The Swan).

post-2961-0-78979200-1342424216_thumb.jp

Incidentally on the same site I found Rutter's Buildings at Scotland Gate which is opposite The Traveller's Rest PH. On the east side of the road, opposite the Community Centre at co-ordinates 425428 584088

post-2961-0-67866200-1342424231_thumb.jp

Hope this helps!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is just another view of the Queens Head that might be of interest.

I think it is a match to the building on the right side of the above picture.

IsMZe.jpg

Presumably this is the original Queens Head? Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by 11011100

• 4 months later...
...If you compare it with the present day building you can see how it lines up:...

Great bit of work, and a useful addition to the Bedlington Gallery.

Hi Pup - yes it is the Queens Head in Guide Post. If you compare it with the present day building you can see how it lines up:

XTaL3.jpg

The Queens was not here. It was on the roundabout before they built it. This was the Anvil Inn.

Across the road was the Blacksmiths owned by Luke Kidd. If i remember rightly. Luke Kidds brother also a Blacksmith committed suicide

when he threw himself in thr Wansbeck. Luke committed suicide to. Me father and friends went into the smithy as children and found him hanging behind the door.

Must have been 1930's this. My Father lived opposite the original Queens Head in a street known as "Front Street"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

On the subject of Storey's Buildings,i'm afraid you are wrong,Mr Dawson....no disrepect intended!

The street ran down the bank,and ended at the Willow bridge,where the the old "Barn'ton burn" flows beneath..this street was on the right side of the road as you head for Ashington.

The street was demolished in the late 60's to create the new junction that takes you along Barrington road.

The top of Storeys buildings was dominated by the pub called "The Railway Tavern",which,in the early 60's,was run by my best mate's brother,Bob Walker.

A good old pit Marra of mine,who Mr Dawson will know,with the initals A.Dix.,lived in the street until the Council served a compulsory purchase order upon him,,to allow the demolishon.

Going down the street,there was a shop that sold sweets among other things,a Chapel witha walled rear garden,outside netties across a clarty back street.

There were no trees in the fields to the left originally,and you could see right up the burn,to the Black railway bridge.

The pit ponies used to be kept in the fields to the rear of the street,on the right side,going down the bank.

Now,

Now, after typing for over an hour,about this topic,i find only half of it has posted....where is the rest?

There's no practical limit to the length of a post, so that's actually what was posted. i.e. there was a mistake in editing somewhere before it was submitted. If you are doing more than an odd paragraph or two it's always better to prepare it with a text editor first, then copy and paste. That way you have a backup copy if anything goes wrong.

Note that you can re-edit your posts to make corrections or add extra material, so you can hit the button to upload what you've already written then hit the edit button to add more. That's not infallible but it does offer a lot more security to losing great chunks of your typing. And... if you duplicate a post it's not a problem - just add a note to the moderator asking him/her to remove the duplicate (and your instruction).

Thanks Threegee,for your help,as you can see,i am a newbie!

I will try what you say, and edit my post to continue it as i had done before it was lost....i did click on "save changes",when i edited it originally...maybe i should change my username to "glaaky billy"....!

This is ridiculous!

I've just been on an hour AGAIN , and a message tells me i am not allowed to edit my post,and so i've lost it all again....don't think i will bother anymore!!

Now the other posts don't make sense...please delete all of my posts thank you.

There i was telling a big story of my experiences living in Storey's Buildings from 1944-1948...and its now floating around in cyber-space....!!

This is ridiculous!

I've just been on an hour AGAIN , and a message tells me i am not allowed to edit my post,and so i've lost it all again....don't think i will bother anymore!!

Now the other posts don't make sense...please delete all of my posts thank you.

There i was telling a big story of my experiences living in Storey's Buildings from 1944-1948...and its now floating around in cyber-space....!!

Its a Yaba Daba doo time :)

Edited by foxy

Thanks Keith!I don't know anything about word docs,as i'm not fully i.t. lit.!

However my main point was that Storey's Buildngs wasn't where every one thinks....cos i lived there...!

Hope it clarifies the subject!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now