Storey's Buildings Choppington

Somewhere near the Guidepost roundabout I think. May have been where the roundabout is today as quite a few buildings were demolished (at the previous crossroads) when it was built.

Google Streetview

Certainly I've heard of it and have likely been there in the distant past. This isn't very far from where my Grandfather's family lived, and established a stonemasons yard, when they moved to the area from Aberdeen in the 18th century.

Someone help my memory here! rolleyes.gif

Please let us have details of who these people were, and any scraps of background information you have. This will do a lot to help other people - maybe hundreds of years hence! What goes here gets recorded in lots of other places and, unlike paper records and stone inscriptions, is here for posterity! Now isn't that an alarming thought? smile.gif

I`ve found a mention of Storey`s Buildings here http://www.sixtownships.org.uk/choppington-stories.html But, it doesn`t really explain where Storey`s buildings actually were.

If they were where the Queens pub used to be, i have a photo which is from 1900. The pub on the left is the Anvil Inn. I`m not sure if the building on the right is the Queens (before it moved to where the Anvil is). It`s quite possible that those buildings on the right are Storey`s Buildings?

guidepost19001.jpg

Another photo from 1912

anvilarmsguidepost19121.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, Cympil always seems to be able to come up with the shots! cool.gif

Here's something interesting: The only remaining point of reference here seems to be the now Queens Head, Guidepost. But look at it in the 2009 shot, and in the 1912 shot. Slightly different perspective, but it's obviously still the same building.

post-2-12685231105697_thumb.jpgpost-2-12685231254674_thumb.jpg

Notice that those unusual twin windows are still there, but the top floor has been lopped off the former private house on the corner which they were part of. In fact it doesn't even seem to be called the Queens Head then. The bit of the sign we can see seems to say something like ...ASEN. Saracen? But you say it was called the Anvil Arms. Could that tall building be a separate pub and not a private house, and maybe the two pubs later made into a single one? Does not compute! :D

I'd always wondered where THE Guidepost was, but it rather looks like the guy squatting on the left is sitting under it! Anyone know any different?

Wow, Cympil always seems to be able to come up with the shots! cool.gif

Here's something interesting: The only remaining point of refrence here seems to be the now Queens Head, Guidepost. But look at it in the 2009 shot, and in the 1912 shot. Slightly different perspective, but it's obviously still the same building.

post-2-12685231105697_thumb.jpgpost-2-12685231254674_thumb.jpg

Notice that those twin windows are still there, but the top floor has been lopped off the part on the corner. In fact it doesn't even seem to be called The Queens Head then. The bit of the sign we can see seems to say something like ...ASEN.

I'd always wondered where THE Guidepost was, but it rather looks like the guy squatting on the left is sitting under it! Anyone know any different?

It was called the Anvil Inn. The Queens Head was over the other side of the road until it was bulldozed to make way for the roundabout. Sometime after that, the Anvil became the Queens Head..that`s maybe when building changed too?

I haven`t a clue about THE Guidepost...i`ll see what i can dig up though.

Ah Inn not Arms - my misread! That sign on the corner does look to say Anvil Inn, now that you mention it! :) So it's certainly not a a private house, but a very Public one. I still think that sign on what is now the main part of the Queens says something else though. My money is still on a two pubs into one. Or three if you include the prior Queens.

Here's my estimate of where that Guidepost in the picture was give or take a meter or two (note that the pavement is a lot wider now):

post-2-12685325640758_thumb.jpg

THE Guidepost or a guidepost? If the former it needs a blue plaque nailed to the road I think. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Just found out where Storey`s Buildings were and they aren`t where we were thinking! They were opposite what used to be Taits shop at Choppington. Richardson Buildings is still there but Storey`s Building isn`t. I`m assuming they would have been to the left of these houses?

richardson.jpg

cheers Cympil... where did you find out from?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we could validate this?

A friend of mine happened to bump into John Dawson from the Six Townships Community History Group yesterday, and asked him about Storey`s Buildings. That`s how i found out where it used to be.

There is a forun on the Sixtownships website where you could ask him about this, or email him directly (his email is on the above link)

A friend of mine happened to bump into John Dawson from the Six Townships Community History Group yesterday, and asked him about Storey`s Buildings. That`s how i found out where it used to be.

There is a forun on the Sixtownships website where you could ask him about this, or email him directly (his email is on the above link)

hi the queens head guidepost on the 1881 census was then called rutters buildings well so i was told,if you could find out dif it would help n yea im doing my family tree too

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It was called the Anvil Inn. The Queens Head was over the other side of the road until it was bulldozed to make way for the roundabout. Sometime after that, the Anvil became the Queens Head..that`s maybe when building changed too?

I haven`t a clue about THE Guidepost...i`ll see what i can dig up though.

I grew up thinking the Anvil Inn was on the other side of the now Queens Head in Guide Post. I was also lead to believe my Dad (Jackie White) was actually born there in the Anvil.

Isn`t also the name Guide Post linked to just down the road Scotland Gate ie. a guide post on the gateway to Scotland. Or have I dreamt that last bit up!

Too many nights spent in the Queens & Shakespeare at an early age methinks.

I grew up thinking the Anvil Inn was on the other side of the now Queens Head in Guide Post. I was also lead to believe my Dad (Jackie White) was actually born there in the Anvil.

Isn`t also the name Guide Post linked to just down the road Scotland Gate ie. a guide post on the gateway to Scotland. Or have I dreamt that last bit up!

Too many nights spent in the Queens & Shakespeare at an early age methinks.

i was born 1937 opposit what was taits ice cream shop . i was told in my young days it was the gateway into scotland.

• 11 months later...

I am researching my family history at the moment and my grandfather and great grandfather both had an address of Storey's Buildings... Does anyone know what they were, where they were or have any information on them at all?

Thanks!

Hi. John Dawson here. Sixtownships Community Group Secretary and local historian. Good topics talked about on here. First, Storey's Buildings was to the rear of where the Welfare is today (2012) I see another topic on how Scotland Gate got its name. This is a very interesting topic indeed and i will clear the mystery up today. In the old days all fields had names given to them by the farmers and it just happened to be that when Scotland Gate was developed the field the building were erected on was "Scotland" and the with the entrance the name Scotland Gate. Gateway to Scotland Gate.

Another interesting topic is Guide Post and how it actually got its name. The ancient Salter Road ran from Morpeth to the north east coast and at the north south road at east Choppington stood a sign post, also called a fingers post, and this was actually interpreted into Guide Post in the first half of the 19th century when the area was being developed.

I see another good topic about the Queens Head and Anvil Inn. The person is right in saying the old queens was pulled down to make way for the round-a-bout when the slum clearance began. However, if you go into the bar of the Queens Head today, you are actually in the "Smithy" as the Old Anvil Inn, which is the top end of the lounge, as it was extenteded at a later date, had the smithy adjoining it. When the then Bedlington Terrier was built at Bedlington, the Anvil Inn tenant was offered the tenancy of the Bedlington Terrier and took the offer up. The Anvil stood empty after that for many years and when the old Queens Head was demolished, it was decided to rename the Anvil Inn the Queens Head. Now at the old Quuens Head the licensee was a Mr. Shiel, and Mr and Mrs Beal ran the pub for him. He decided to let them take the license over in their own right for their loyalty and he was to retire. I have many photos of the old Queens Head and of the inside, with the Beal's perfoming terrier in the bar, and of the opening of the Queens Head as we know it today. if anyone is interested i will post them up, let me know, as i am always busy doing something on the history of our area. I had spoke to Mrs Beal prior to her death, and she loaned me many pics and a duplicated them and gave her the originals back. She was a very interesting woman, and she told me she was once a nurse. i remember the Beal's son very well as he was a little older than me and went to the old Guide Post Secondary Modern School. Oh, before i go, Rutter who had the old Queens Head was a master stone-mason and was involved in the building of the very first Stakeford Bridge, as well as other prominent buildings.

take care, if anyone needs any help i will try to answer questions. I will put up the story of how the Church at Choppington came to be very soon as its also interesting, and maybe about the performing bears at Choppington.

All the best for the New Year to you all.

regards

john

• Like 2

I am researching my family history at the moment and my grandfather and great grandfather both had an address of Storey's Buildings... Does anyone know what they were, where they were or have any information on them at all?

Thanks!

Thought I'd give this one a bump... as it has had 400 views!!

There must be a picture of storeys buildings somewhere... I have a challenge for you all, can anyone find it??

I have one but my collection is being listed for easier acess and just can't put my hands on it. As soon as i come to it i will post it. Why not let us post some old pics of Choppington and Guide Post on here for all. I got some rare ones too and very interesting they are. Lets see what we can do

Hi. John Dawson here. Sixtownships Community Group Secretary and local historian. Good topics talked about on here. First, Storey's Buildings was to the rear of where the Welfare is today (2012) I see another topic on how Scotland Gate got its name. This is a very interesting topic indeed and i will clear the mystery up today. In the old days all fields had names given to them by the farmers and it just happened to be that when Scotland Gate was developed the field the building were erected on was "Scotland" and the with the entrance the name Scotland Gate. Gateway to Scotland Gate.

Another interesting topic is Guide Post and how it actually got its name. The ancient Salter Road ran from Morpeth to the north east coast and at the north south road at east Choppington stood a sign post, also called a fingers post, and this was actually interpreted into Guide Post in the first half of the 19th century when the area was being developed.

I see another good topic about the Queens Head and Anvil Inn. The person is right in saying the old queens was pulled down to make way for the round-a-bout when the slum clearance began. However, if you go into the bar of the Queens Head today, you are actually in the "Smithy" as the Old Anvil Inn, which is the top end of the lounge, as it was extenteded at a later date, had the smithy adjoining it. When the then Bedlington Terrier was built at Bedlington, the Anvil Inn tenant was offered the tenancy of the Bedlington Terrier and took the offer up. The Anvil stood empty after that for many years and when the old Queens Head was demolished, it was decided to rename the Anvil Inn the Queens Head. Now at the old Quuens Head the licensee was a Mr. Shiel, and Mr and Mrs Beal ran the pub for him. He decided to let them take the license over in their own right for their loyalty and he was to retire. I have many photos of the old Queens Head and of the inside, with the Beal's perfoming terrier in the bar, and of the opening of the Queens Head as we know it today. if anyone is interested i will post them up, let me know, as i am always busy doing something on the history of our area. I had spoke to Mrs Beal prior to her death, and she loaned me many pics and a duplicated them and gave her the originals back. She was a very interesting woman, and she told me she was once a nurse. i remember the Beal's son very well as he was a little older than me and went to the old Guide Post Secondary Modern School. Oh, before i go, Joe Lawson, holding the horses head on Queend Head pic, was a master stone-mason and was involved in the building of the very first Stakeford Bridge, as well as other prominent buildings and Storey's Buildings.

take care, if anyone needs any help i will try to answer questions. I will put up the story of how the Church at Choppington came to be very soon as its also interesting, and maybe about the performing bears at Choppington.

All the best for the New Year to you all.

regards

john

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

Just found out where Storey`s Buildings were and they aren`t where we were thinking! They were opposite what used to be Taits shop at Choppington. Richardson Buildings is still there but Storey`s Building isn`t. I`m assuming they would have been to the left of these houses?

richardson.jpg

Another point of interest now that you mention Taits Shop. Taits was once a public house too. The Pig & Whistle" it was. When they began making their own superb ice cream, the old cellar was an ideal storage for it. Nice and cool.

Opposite Taits was once another pub, the Choppington Inn. Long gone and they used to bottle their own ale too.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now