The 'nail.'

came into this  late -- but -

was Bedlington ever given a charter to be a market town? it could have been exempt due to being within the palatinate of durham but unlikely unless it has special status

market crosses tend to be what it says on the tin -- exactly that

the things about the cross being related to Cuthbert - most likely and probably the origin of ( the resurgence  of ) the church at Bedlington ( I think thinks its a ar earlier site on the high points linked to earsdon and aside shankhouse at cramlington (they all follow that high ridge - as most church sites do) - although the cross is far later  - but the coffin - which was touted round the north east for many years would most likely have been placed within the 'church' boundaries  (good earner!)

I think we are missing a man with a very large white dog to give the answers -- he died many years ago but I seem to recall him telling me he arranged the refurbishment of the market place

Which refurbishment Pilgrim?  

I know of the one done in the 90's and there was another larger one done with Heritage Lottery funding starting around 2009.  

I posted this in Feb 2014........

Look at the poster.........this BEFORE NCC claimed to have spent £2 million quid on the Bedlington refit!  

Malcolm,

I seem to recall that Mr Hall (used to live down from the police station towards the golf course - had a Pyrenean dog and wanted to bury his wife in the garden in an old Anderson shelter as a mausoleum!) had something to do with refurbishing the whole of the market place well before the 70's possibly just post war, and that there was an overall tidying up and realignment of the whole area around the cross then. I will ask my mother, she knew him well and worked in carricks at one time, although her mental faculties after the stroke are not as they were.

That would most likely have been under BUDC then Pilgrim?  The unholy Trinity that became Wansbeck District Council was formed at the LGR in the early 70’s and from then on the lid was kept firmly closed on regeneration monies for Bedlington!!!!!

The upgrades seen in the 90’s cost £90K and I was part of a group that brought in another £30K ostensibly to resolve the ‘shutter’ problem on Front Street. 

It was way before then - I will go see my mother on Thursday and see if she can recall anything ooooo BUDC many years since I have heard that lol -- I recall the fracas when they built the golf course!!! but I am sure the general 'updating' of the market place was done post war and before the 60's - possibly just new paving and road boundaries etc. but I will see what she can recall.

Mum was born in 1928 and was manageress of carricks as well - so she knew a lot of folk -- let me know if there is anything that you can think of that she might be able to shed some light on -- although it depends how she is on the day.

maybe we should call in 'Time Team' to see if in 3 days they can find any antiquated thinking within the parish -- or maybe not it would take 10 mins and they couldn't spin that out to an hour even with adverts!!!

On 5/10/2016 at 13:49, pilgrim said:

It was way before then - I will go see my mother on Thursday and see if she can recall anything ooooo BUDC many years since I have heard that lol -- I recall the fracas when they built the golf course!!! but I am sure the general 'updating' of the market place was done post war and before the 60's - possibly just new paving and road boundaries etc. but I will see what she can recall.

Mum was born in 1928 and was manageress of carricks as well - so she knew a lot of folk -- let me know if there is anything that you can think of that she might be able to shed some light on -- although it depends how she is on the day.

maybe we should call in 'Time Team' to see if in 3 days they can find any antiquated thinking within the parish -- or maybe not it would take 10 mins and they couldn't spin that out to an hour even with adverts!!!

Pilgrim - image posted, 22nd Aud 2014, on the Facebook Sixtownships site showing damage to the base. The only info with the posting was by Joyce Scott and said - 'Was definitely repaired, as this photo from 1938 shows damage.'

Market_Place_cross_1938 damaged.jpg

• Like 1

that would tie in with what I assumed as regards the dates - am I thinking that the pic shows the cross in a slightly different location from its present site? to me it looks as though it has been moved east and slightly north to its present location?? possibly to prevent further damage from passing steam tractors!!!! it seems very near the edge - if not actually on the present road of today in that picture.

late edit - and it is definitely not a cross - nor do I ever think it was!! an obelisk denoting a market place? or even just a bit of ego for whoever funded it?? I am beginning to suspect it has no ancient origin!!

Edited by pilgrim

late entry ..

http://wikimapia.org/27082098/Bedlington-Market-Cross

The cross was erected in 1782. A Grade II listed structure standing in the market square.

also

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-235941-the-cross-west-bedlington-#.VzOjqY-cGM8

so who was around in 1782 to pay for it and why??? its very early for the origins of the town in the modern times - seems to fall between two stools - well after the early origins and before the coal and iron boom - what was going on ??

er   - found a reference that the Bedlington terrier dog can be traced back in pedigree to 1782 -- suspicious or what??

Originally known as the Rothbury or Rodbury Terrier, the name Bedlington Terrier was not applied to the breed until 1825, but some dogs have pedigrees that can be traced back as far as 1782. The first dog shows with a class for Bedlington Terriers was held in 1870 at Bedlington. Bedlington Terriers shown at early shows were frequently dyed to improve the look of their fur. In 1948, a Bedlington Terrier known as Rock Ridge Night Rocket won best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The breed has a high instance of copper toxicosis, but with the exception of eye problems, it is mostly free from health complaints. (is it a monument to the small wooly wagger??)

citing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedlington_Terrier

also http://www.sixtownships.org.uk/bedlington-time-line.html

and-

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OOE9AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA354&lpg=PA354&dq=bedlington+1782&source=bl&ots=IJROBSZ1fv&sig=_3N_Etj_rXI5jqVEbkbaPCjVqBU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnq9-o_NLMAhXGKsAKHez2DTsQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=bedlington%201782&f=false

a  very small population of about 800 in 1782 - makes you wonder??

Edited by pilgrim
reconsidedered

10 hours ago, pilgrim said:

http://holylamb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=22

I think this tips it for me -- its not a market cross - its the start of the Bedlington terrier - which makes it all the more valuable as a bit of local history except it appears that the accreditation is attributed to Bedlington in Northamptonshire??

Thanks, but hat link is taking forever to load. I think there are some problems with the page. Anyone else having trouble with it, or is it just me?

Interesting topic this; I think it is most definitely a market cross, which of course is a term used to describe any sort of marker that defines the location of a market. 

From the link about the dog: " one of those breeders from the town of Bedlington in Northampshire..."

Northampshire? Where be that, then?

the six t media site gives a relocation date of the 'Cross' as 1782 but doesn't have the reference to its origin.(or a citation to source of that information)

the reference to the terrier was rather outlandish but threw it in as a bit of fun!! forgive me.

if it was re- erected in its present location in 1782 - where was it before? and it isn't a cross? when was the church refurbished? could it either have been in the grounds and got in the way? or been looked on as something pagan and not right or indeed could it have been a market designator?

or perhaps it is older and celebrates some previous event.

5 hours ago, pilgrim said:

mercury -- its somewhere down sowf apparently..

but was wondering if the 'cross' was made to represent something else if it really is old? the visit of King john? or just a 'folly'

No it's just a market cross! It's a marker for trading; 'pay on the nail'?

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:17, mercuryg said:

From the link about the dog: " one of those breeders from the town of Bedlington in Northampshire..."

Northampshire? Where be that, then?

I think this breeder from isreal has got his facts totally wrong - there is only one place called bedlington and it is in northumberland

http://holylamb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=22

http://uk.geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=Bedlington

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now