Double Row, Bedlington

johnnie

The reason I was searching for Double Row was the Barrington group were trying to establish how the rows, in Barrington, got their name. My 'fuzzy' memory came up with a thread that said I had been told (think it was by an uncle that married a lass from Barrington) that Double Row was the pit row that had an extra, 2 instead of 1, room down stairs. Searche on here just in case the explanation for the name was in one of HPW's stories.

Bedlington 'A' pit had North Row to the north of the pit and South Row to the South. Shop Row I assume had a shop but never new one in my time, 1953-60, passing and playing in that row when I went to Barrington school.

As you note 3g the naming of the Dr Pit - New South Row - doesn't appear to be logical. Do any of the old Dr Pit rows have a logic, that can be proved, to their names?

Shiney Row - Doctor Terrace - Telephone Row - New South Row - Cross Row & North Terrace.0

Barrington rows - the thoughts on the first rows built - those on the an 1859 :-

1) Chapel Row - was that because of the chapel? 

2) Blacsmiths Row - was that where the Blacksmiths were housed?

3) School Row - next to the original school in the village? 

4) Stone Row - ?

5) Double Row - was that because they had extra rooms, or just because it ran parallel with Chapel Row?

Then the next rows to be built, on a 1924 map :-

6) Victoria Row - after Queen Victoria?

7) Alexandra Row - after Princess Alexandra of Denmark ?

8) Freehold Row - ??

9) Railway Row - next to the railway?

10) Middle Row - it wasn't in the middle of Barrington but between Railway

and finally

11) Office Row - was that where the white & blue collar pit workers were housed, next to the pit managers house?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Barrington Colliery 1924.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,     My Ancestor George Thompson born 1839 was a coal miner and he his address in the 1881 Census was Double Row, Bedlington, Northumberland.  

I found those photo's fascinating.  I'd like to have a copy if anyone has one.

Thanks

Liz Moore  Australia 

Edited by Liz Moore

On 05/07/2019 at 10:03, Liz Moore said:

Hi Everyone,     My Ancestor George Thompson born 1839 was a coal miner and he his address in the 1881 Census was Double Row, Bedlington, Northumberland.  

I found those photo's fascinating.  I'd like to have a copy if anyone has one.

Thanks

Liz Moore  Australia 

@Liz Moore - any member of this group, when signed in, can take a copy aof any of the photos that are posted within this group. 

I don't use a handheld/mobile device but from my PC, using the mouse, if you left click on the image it enlarges and then if you right click the system gives you a number of options of which one is 'Save image' and selecting that option you get the option to name the file the system is about to download to your device.

If you would prefer the info emailed to you then the best way, so as not to broadcast your email address etc. to the rest of the world is to send a Personal Message, by selecting the envelope logo at the top right of the page you can send a personal message to me - Alan Edgar (Eggy 1948) - with your email address and I will email you whatever info you request that is available on this site. :)  .

That small photo of Double Row, Barrington, is the only one I can remember having seen on this group but there is at least one on the Facebook group -  Barrington, Barnt' n  memories and stuff!!

Old view of Barrington.jpg

Barrington facebook group.jpg

@Liz Moore - photos from the facebook group - Barrington, Barnt' n  memories and stuff!!

Double Row

Double Row Barrington.jpg

and the outside toilet (Nettie) and coal shed (coal cree)

Double Row ootside nettie.jpg

This is a photo of one of the other rows in Barrington with the same setup - back lane/road; outside toilet and coal shed.

Alexandra Row and Netties.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

12 hours ago, Liz Moore said:

Thanks so much for all your help.  Alan Edgar.  The photo's are wonderful. 

Liz Moore

@Liz Moore - have you download copies of the photos?

I found this extract (don't know what book it was taken from) on the Facebook group -  Barrington, Barnt' n  memories and stuff!! 

20526173_1940775949528202_3838556309216083180_n.jpg

• Like 1

@Liz Moore - forgot to mention there is a site that might be of some help in your research = The Durham Mining Museum site. It lists info on all the mines in the Northumberland and Durham counties.

This is a link to the page on the Barrington colliery and then an extract from the Barrington Colliery page :-

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/b035.htm

Project3.png

• 4 years later...
On 23/09/2016 at 13:32, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

The reason I was searching for Double Row was the Barrington group were trying to establish how the rows, in Barrington, got their name. My 'fuzzy' memory came up with a thread that said I had been told (think it was by an uncle that married a lass from Barrington) that Double Row was the pit row that had an extra, 2 instead of 1, room down stairs. Searche on here just in case the explanation for the name was in one of HPW's stories.

Bedlington 'A' pit had North Row to the north of the pit and South Row to the South. Shop Row I assume had a shop but never new one in my time, 1953-60, passing and playing in that row when I went to Barrington school.

As you note 3g the naming of the Dr Pit - New South Row - doesn't appear to be logical. Do any of the old Dr Pit rows have a logic, that can be proved, to their names?

Shiney Row - Doctor Terrace - Telephone Row - New South Row - Cross Row & North Terrace.0

Barrington rows - the thoughts on the first rows built - those on the an 1859 :-

1) Chapel Row - was that because of the chapel? 

2) Blacsmiths Row - was that where the Blacksmiths were housed?

3) School Row - next to the original school in the village? 

4) Stone Row - ?

5) Double Row - was that because they had extra rooms, or just because it ran parallel with Chapel Row?

Then the next rows to be built, on a 1924 map :-

6) Victoria Row - after Queen Victoria?

7) Alexandra Row - after Princess Alexandra of Denmark ?

8) Freehold Row - ??

9) Railway Row - next to the railway?

10) Middle Row - it wasn't in the middle of Barrington but between Railway

and finally

11) Office Row - was that where the white & blue collar pit workers were housed, next to the pit managers house?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Barrington Colliery 1924.jpg

Hello,

Could you tell me how you found this particular map on the NLS website, as I would like to have a look at it, but I can't find it and struggle to use the website.

James

21 minutes ago, 7RIrF said:

Hello,

Could you tell me how you found this particular map on the NLS website, as I would like to have a look at it, but I can't find it and struggle to use the website.

James

James - when i first  discovered the NLS site I remeber it took me a while, and a lot of trial and error to work my way through the menus to get to the area = Bedlington I was looking for.

To save me the hassle of trying to remeber how i finally got to the Bedlingtonshire area maps I 'bookmarked' the page I was at within my Google chrome search so now i always go to the same place and start from there if I am checking on anywhere else in the area.

This is the Bookmark link I saved so you should be able to save it into your search engine :- 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13.0&lat=55.13580&lon=-1.64090&layers=102&b=1&z=0&point=55.1326,-1.5691 

Using this as a starting point your can see down the right of the screen the maps, with the years that are available, so you can select/click on one and zoom into the particular area you are after.

Hope that helps

Eggy

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now