Vote For Me I'm Far Faster!

threegee

State of the election promises so far:

NuLabour:

Near universal 2 Mbit/s by 2012

...and old grannies to be taxed on their fixed phone to pay for it.

Tories:

Near universal 100 Mbit/s by 2017

...and keep the Digital TV levy for another licencing round to pay for the fill-in.

Liberal Dems:

Still waiting for an exciting new proposal.

Maybe Vince to cable the country? :D

What's the BNP policy Monsta? wink.gif

NuLabour:

Tories:

...and keep the Digital TV levy for another licencing round to pay for the fill-in.

Liberal Dems:

What's the BNP policy Monsta? ;)

How would i know! i'm voting Ukip! ;)

• 3 months later...

NuLabour:

Tories:

Liberal Dems:

What's the BNP policy Monsta? wink.gif

I had 100Mb/s in canada and it was great. it took well under 10 mins to download a 650MB file. I think it was aobut 8 minutes. It was registering over a Megabyte a second, Mb and MB confuse me

I had 100Mb/s in canada and it was great. it took well under 10 mins to download a 650MB file. I think it was aobut 8 minutes. It was registering over a Megabyte a second, Mb and MB confuse me

small b = bit

big B = byte

so theres 8 bits to the byte so 1MB = 8Mb :D

simples

One megabyte a second on a 100 megabit connection is very poor. As monsta says an 8mbit connections theoretical max would be around that. A lot depends on the line quality/length and other equipment in the system. a 100mbit FTTH (fibre to the home) connection would theoretically give a true 100mbit as it's not subject to line issues like copper... But you still have issues with other equipment in the chain like the host server etc

One megabyte a second on a 100 megabit connection is very poor. As monsta says an 8mbit connections theoretical max would be around that. A lot depends on the line quality/length and other equipment in the system. a 100mbit FTTH (fibre to the home) connection would theoretically give a true 100mbit as it's not subject to line issues like copper... But you still have issues with other equipment in the chain like the host server etc

You know what maybe it was 10Mb line come to think of it. I thought it was rapid compared to what i was used to. God a 100Mb line would be to fast?? I mean you could fire live HD down it easy and the rest.! I suppose ?

small b = bit

big B = byte

so theres 8 bits to the byte so 1MB = 8Mb :D

simples

So its as i thought they used to lowly bit to make the speed look faster to those not in the know. I mean it used to be a 56K modem but Kilobytes went out of fashion, the 2Mb broadband came in but whats that in kilobytes? it looks loads more but its 1024 bytes in a Kilobyte right? So 56k=57443bits , and 2Mb=1024x1024=about 18 times faster than dial up.? I knew that GCSE in computer studies would come in handy. These as every one knows are only best speeds. They never happen. Fibre optics the way ahead i hear.

• 2 weeks later...

No one has mentioned "contention ratio" - simply put: the number of other people sharing that bandwidth.

50:1 is normal; 20:1 is premium; lower is very expensive! :)

Always ask what yours is - you could be sharing exchange gear with Monsta! :lol:

No one has mentioned "contention ratio" - simply put: the number of other people sharing that bandwidth.

50:1 is normal; 20:1 is premium; lower is very expensive! :)

Always ask what yours is - you could be sharing exchange gear with Monsta! :lol:

mad.gif

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now