Workhouse

oakeyboy

Malcolm H

My MIL lived and played there, Joan Dobson then, she remembers melting her chocolate by the heat of the forge, c1935

Other known occupants of Wilson's yard were

Billy Wilson (Blacksmith) & son Billy

Jack Gilhooly

Janey Scott

Mullins

White

McPake

and two sisters 

Mum is struggling with her memory now, so I am trying to put together a family history/tree for her. Her father Jimmy worked in the cooperative butchers for many years starting at Bedlington Station, his family lived in South Row.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 22:15, Dawn said:

Mum is struggling with her memory now, so I am trying to put together a family history/tree for her. Her father Jimmy worked in the cooperative butchers for many years starting at Bedlington Station, his family lived in South Row.

There are a couple of photos of South Row, at Bedlington Station that have done the rounds on the Facebook group sites. South Row used to be two rows of houses, one at either side of the entrance to the 'A' pit off Station Road. All the photos I have seen are of the East side/Bottom end that was closest to the railway crossing and station. @John Fox (foxy) provided the photo of the demolition of Soth Row in 1974.5984c5b50812c_BedStation1921.thumb.jpg.ce293d5923e9e950413ff32517789554.jpg

This map published 1924 shows  the two parts to South Row.  

South Row Then & Now.JPG

Edited by Eggy1948

On 8/2/2017 at 22:15, Dawn said:

..... Her father Jimmy worked in the cooperative butchers for many years starting at Bedlington Station, his family lived in South Row.

Then (said to be c1900 but no proof) & Now (2016) Co-op building on Station Road - South Row was opposite 

Then & Now.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now