Bedlington Old School To Be Demolished

Blank

Would you like to see Bedlington Old School replaced with a block of flats?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Bedlington Old School replaced with a block of flats?

• Yes
    • No
    • Donâ??t care

This poll is closed to new votes

The old school which stands opposite St Cuthbert's on Church Lane is to be demolished to make way for a block of 19 flats.

This has been going on for quite some time, with applications being submitted and denied for several years. But now it has finally been given the go ahead:

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/latest/Anger-over-Bedlington-planning-decision.5990078.jp

Yes, they "the trailer" probably got the news from this strange website:

http://www.bedlingto...peal-decisions/

...where it was published nine days ago.

Some people might say that that's a loaded question. i.e. they do care, are sad to see the school go, but realise that there is no alternative to having the site redeveloped as residential.

And - as there are no viable alternatives proposed - it's better to have nineteen decent flats and carefully dictated landscaping, than an eyesore, public hazard, and somewhere where sooner or later some young kid will get badly hurt.

Which "radio button" do they select to express that opinion?

• Like 1

Progress is Progress! You never know if they build enough flats with enough fat people in them mcdonalds might be lured in! :lol: thing is do people in "range rovers" eat mcdonalds? or do they just shop online at m&s :lol:

19 flats eh! Could be interesting. They must use sandstone (coservation area) yes/no? Parking underneath for at least 19 cars.Will 19 Range Rovers fit on this plot? :D Then there is access to said parking. Then they will have 38 bins, where do these go? Seeing as the bin men don't seek them will there be 19 bins up church lane or causing an obstruction to the crossing? Or is there to be waste chutes down to a skip,how will this be emptied,who pays and who will empty it? There will have to be two skips!(recycling/non recycling) Then there is the privacy factor for funerals and weddings at the church, and again parking! Then there is the actual building of said flats but I'll leave that till later.

• Like 1

19 flats eh! Could be interesting. They must use sandstone (coservation area) yes/no? Parking underneath for at least 19 cars.Will 19 Range Rovers fit on this plot? :D Then there is access to said parking. Then they will have 38 bins, where do these go? Seeing as the bin men don't seek them will there be 19 bins up church lane or causing an obstruction to the crossing? Or is there to be waste chutes down to a skip,how will this be emptied,who pays and who will empty it? There will have to be two skips!(recycling/non recycling) Then there is the privacy factor for funerals and weddings at the church, and again parking! Then there is the actual building of said flats but I'll leave that till later.

access will be off church lane where it is at present! near the bottle neck part! :lol: should be fun watching the "range rovers" get in and out of there! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any idea when work is due to start?

I saw two chav types :D in there yesterday it looked like they were pinching slates off the room however they convinced me they were only stripping a few off to see if they could be re-used :lol: there mode of transport was a barra which I thought rather strange :lol: and they did a bit of a dissapearing act when two plastic coppers walked bye. But as they never batted an eyelid towards the "roof" I had two second earlier been talking to OR the barra with about twenty slates in must admit I was,nt surprised :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I saw two chav types :D in there yesterday it looked like they were pinching slates off the room however they convinced me they were only stripping a few off to see if they could be re-used :lol: there mode of transport was a barra which I thought rather strange :lol:

Same ones that stripped the church roof of the lead?

It'll be a shame to see the old school go, but hey... the thing has stood empty and filled up with rusbbish and rats for the last 15 years!!

We have to accept that any progress is good progress and as someone posted earlier I am sure our beloved council will ensure that the 400 (Sorry it was 19 wasnt it) flats are in keeping with the area. I bet we will get a shock when that place is levelled at just how much land there is there... I remember running around the yard with my Cubs uniform on and it is a fair size!

HURRAH for those developers... Welcome to Bedlington!

I say... CRACK ON!

I think it's time for a change. but when you put "Would you like to see Bedlington Old School replaced with a block of flats?" it makes it sound really negitive, They are goin to fit in with the surrounding and look quite attractive, it's gonna look a dam site better then the mess that is there now.

I think it's time for a change. but when you put "Would you like to see Bedlington Old School replaced with a block of flats?" it makes it sound really negitive, They are goin to fit in with the surrounding and look quite attractive, it's gonna look a dam site better then the mess that is there now.

But will the flats be occupied? The residential development upon the old Palace nightclub in Bedlington Station stands almost empty. I understand the Muter family is behind the Old School development - well I hope the flats won't be priced according to the 'Keenleyside Price Index' or else only footballers/bankers/oligarchs will be able to move in. ;)

Edited by mobius

But will the flats be occupied? The residential development upon the old Palace nightclub in Bedlington Station stands almost empty. I understand the Muter family is behind the Old School development - well I hope the flats won't be priced according to the 'Keenleyside Price Index' or else only footballers/bankers/oligarchs will be able to move in. ;)

thats because more people are moving out of bedlington rather than moving in!! How about they sort the towns shops,pubs ect out before they start allowing for more flats to be built. The trouble is the people who haev moved to bedlington aren't from there and that's why over the past few years Bedlington has gone down hill and also because people would rather go to morpeth, ashington, blyth and cramlington to go shopping which is partly to do with there are actually shops there as well!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now