Idea's To Make Bedlington Better!

Monsta®

Perhaps people don't want to contribute to something thats started off in such a negative manner.

Had the optional second topic title not been there, people may have taken it a little more seriously.

That was the reason i never got involved. Dunno what others opinions are.

:o its not my fault you have no sense of humour! :lol: and divint start on me theres plenty off other people who put the town down as well as me! :D

I wasn't starting, mearly pointing out the thread title.

How can you have a serious discussion about the towns needs with a title like that and the sense of humour most of us have? it'll never be taken seriously.

If its to be discussed, i believe it should be done so seriously, not tongue in cheek, or you'll get nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Monsta,

Councils don't set tax in the way you propose, apart from property based ones that is, this would be so far out of their remit, or competence, as to be unthinkable.

Good thread though...........

Although... the town council is currently working on a grants scheme to try to help groups and clubs get activities going on in the town (sports, entertainment, events, music, arts, crafts, hobbies etc).

If there was a local currency and there were enough suppliers of sports equipment, kit, musical instruments, venues etc participating in it, then the council would get more value for money i.e. a bigger positive effect for Bedlington by buying and making grants in Bedlington pounds.

If there was a local currency and there were enough suppliers of sports equipment, kit, musical instruments, venues etc participating in it, then the council would get more value for money i.e. a bigger positive effect for Bedlington by buying and making grants in Bedlington pounds.

Yep that was my thinking, you've got an automatic multiplier straight away. We could include the new classifieds system here as well to encourage a bit of trading in them. Charge a very small listing fee and take bedlington pounds as payment (which goes back into the grants pot). Sellers could also choose to accept Bedlington pounds as payment, those that do get added benefits like featured listings.

I certainly think Bedlington needs a Leisure Centre or personaly even better a Private Company like JJB or similar to build a decent Gym with at least a 25mtr pool..

We pay £110 per month and have a 20 mile round trip each day to go to the Village Hotel in Shiremoor to use their pool and gym facilities. Ashington pool is disgusting as has very poor facilities for the Disabled, Morpeth is just awful and not big enough , Blyth is really nice since its referb, but is also out of the question as due to a spinal injury I can't do the ladders up the side of the pool. (The Village has a graduated stair case into the pool).. I was astounded at just how many people from Bedlington are members at the Village, Its funny who you bump into in the sauna.. lol..

My parents and late grandparents always talk and talked about how money was raised/secured years ago for a pool in Bedlington but it has never ever happened and the money was spend on services for Ashingto and Newbiggin. My Granda always said " hinny Bedlington gets nowt"!

I would love a local pool and would use it every single day!

Anyone got a spare few million laying round that could help, or should we get the collecting buckets out on the front street... lol..

Edited by niksy72
  • Like 1

I certainly think Bedlington needs a Leisure Centre or personaly even better a Private Company like JJB or similar to build a decent Gym with at least a 25mtr pool..

It'll never happen unless you build it yourself! As discussed in the fast food thread big business needs a high turnover to make it a viable prospect.

I think the town first needs to start small and build interest from the floor up instead off living in a dream world thinking the likes of McDonalds and JJB would actually be interested!

If the town could start by introducing the money idea and other incentives to start motivating people to start shopping in bedlington then businesses might actually want to set up shop in bedlington.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now