The Ridge Farm Panned On Qype

the service at the ridge farm is awfull, the staff are surley and treat you like you are a problem. the food through the week takes ages ,they probably need to invest in more micro waves as our food was defenately heated in a micro.we have tried the ridge a few times and have always come away dissapointed. there is no competition in bedlington so they are able to serve microwave rubbish.

http://www.qype.co.uk/people/hazelross

Unfair publishing such a "review" where it isn't going to get seen by people who use the place regularly and so are qualified to offer a broader view, but is going to be seen by tourists who will simply avoid.

IMHO it's completely untrue to say that there's no competition in Bedlington.

Note that this site gets the Ridge Farm's location wildly wrong too. It might also come as a surprise to the folks there that they've gone into the "Health and Beauty" business (just what Bedlington needs another one of!), and that somehow they are a Mobility provider as well!

Seems that, according to their map, The Ridge Farm is to be found in the middle of the allotments behind Millbank Tce. In that case, they'll have immediate access to seasonal fresh vegetables so quality food shouldn't be a problem!

• Like 1

If you actually go to the Ridge Farms review, and not just her personal review, the map rights itsself (glitch in the software??) and 3 other "good" reviews are found, however, i agree with the basic outline.

The meat in the place is second to none. It melts in the mouth and is visually pleasing. Thats where the compliments stop for me.

We had our christmas do there, and to be fair, it seemed like the staff wanted us out as quickly as possible. I was actually still eating my starter when the waitress came and stood till i was finnished, then with a grunt, i was pointed towards the plates for the main course.

Most of the vegtables would have been lucky to have been scalded in the water, they were that hard, and the rest looked and tasted like they were from yesterday. The yorkshire puddings "seemed" to be lacking an ingredient which made them taste like paper. I cannot fault the turky, beef or gravey tho.

i had the sponge pudding for afters, and to say "microwave" would be exact. Whilst this isnt always a bad thing (i've had some nice microwave puddings) i think someone needs to teach the cook the ways of the decimal point. 1.5 minutes on the packet translated to 15 mins to the cook it would seem!

no sooner had the spoon hit the plate and the cleanup began, with scowels on the faces of the staff, and the odd elbow as they rushed. The hint was taken and we retired to the bar, where the lass on call was much more plesant!

3 minutes later the staff, obviously pained at having to come in to work, came through, said "Thank %$£$ thats over with, i'm $%£$£ng off before anyone else gets here" or words to that effect, glanced another scowel in our direction, and stormed out the door.

I used to like, and recommend this place for food, but now wont be going back untill i start hearing good things again.

As for competition, bar meal wise, i believe the swan is the closest competitor, am i wrong?

If you actually go to the Ridge Farms review, and not just her personal review, the map rights itsself (glitch in the software??) and 3 other "good" reviews are found...

Right in the sense that you'd find yourself at Netherton Club, and hopefully someone would point you in the right direction before you decided that the place was under strange new management. smile.gif

If you zoom in there's not a single featured trader in Bedders marked even approximately correctly. The location pin-pointing is near useless if this degree of accuracy is replicated country-wide. The latest smart-phone apps use this sort of data, with their built-in compass and camera, to show you which direction to walk.

As to the reviews, it's always the most recent one that counts the most. The next most recent is last May, and it rather sounds as if it might have changed hands/head chef. The first "review" is someone going for some sort of posting reward, and from the uncharacteristically scant words in this post it's doubtful if they have even eaten there.

As for competition, bar meal wise, i believe the swan is the closest competitor, am i wrong?

I've heard good things about the meals at the Three Horse Shoes.

The location pin-pointing is near useless if this degree of accuracy is replicated country-wide.

As somebody that has written this sort of geo-location software recently I can say that it is notoriously difficult to ensure accuracy. Royal Mail have a near monopoly on the post code data and it is ridiculously expensive to get a copy and it's still not terribly accurate. The best way to handle it is to position the marker on the map at the post code given then get the user to manually position it to make sure it is accurate or enter the gps info in directly. I suspect this site is using postcode data alone.

As somebody that has written this sort of geo-location software recently I can say that it is notoriously difficult to ensure accuracy. Royal Mail have a near monopoly on the post code data and it is ridiculously expensive to get a copy and it's still not terribly accurate. The best way to handle it is to position the marker on the map at the post code given then get the user to manually position it to make sure it is accurate or enter the gps info in directly. I suspect this site is using postcode data alone.

I disagree. Just happened to be playing with someone else's Python geo-loc function last night and I was quite impressed. Tried their primary source of data Google Maps on a well known location in Bedders that can be easily pin-pointed from surrounding feature - namely The Top Club.

http://maps.google.c...t,%20bedlington

Neat, don't you think? Especially as it's from an entire World database. Now you are going to get "bad misses", but you use several sources of geodata and weight them. Highest weighting goes to locals who are happy to correct you and shift your marker against the satellite photo. A sort of gatelocate - to coin a word. tongue.gif It's not rocket science, just sensible and defensive programming.

A primary customer for this would be the UKPO - but I suspect any reasonable person would want to charge (only) them an arm and a leg to use the data. biggrin.gif

Neat, don't you think? Especially as it's from an entire World database. Now you are going to get "bad misses", but you use several sources of geodata and weight them. Highest weighting goes to locals who are happy to correct you and shift your marker against the satellite photo. A sort of gatelocate - to coin a word. tongue.gif It's not rocket science, just sensible and defensive programming.

so you don't disagree really, you agree and have presented a solution :P for a small scale project it's just not worth doing. But if set up as a centralised service that people could retrieve from/contribute to when data is missing then you've got a really useful product. When's it going to be available?

Now back to the Ridge Farm...

Aside from the location problems I am afraid I have to agree with the 'reviewer'. A few years ago the Ridge was second to none - great food, really - but these days I am often disappointed. Veg is poorly cooked, meat from the carvery is Ok - but then that's a carvery for you - and the rest is so so.

The Three Horseshoes is much better, the Swan too.

I don't know how it is possible to make vegetables have no taste, but the Ridge Farm succeeds every time.

Honestly, if you're invited out by others and the meal is on them then go for it. But if you're planning something special - go elsewhere as the quality of food here will only embarrass both yourself and your guests.

The Three Horse Shoes: I ate there for the first and last time in 2008 – Enough said.

The Astley Arms: Same standard as Ridge Farm but half the price.

The Ridge has certainly gone down hill of late..

I've been to Accolade on the Front Street tonight. I had a starter - Roast Duck on a bed of Rocket orange marmalade/relish followed by a main of Locally produced sausages with Veg and chunky chips ( or an alternative of mash) all for approximately £10 - £11 per head..

Much cleaner, nicer, friendlier than the Ridge, with absolutely superb food.. Why Bother With the Ridge at Nights when you can get top notch food, cozy restuarant with a nice atmosphere, servive and attention to detail that is second to none..

Would rather pay an extra couple of quid and have Good decent well cooked and presented food, by staff who attend to your every need, than frozen veg and cardboard yorkies from the Ridge.. :0)

nicksy are you on free food from accolade, this is now three threads you are bangin on about it :lol: :lol: If you are I'm just jealous :P

Merlin I think you are right in your assumption that Nicksy is on free food or summit but that is O.K i am jealous too ....

nicksy are you on free food from accolade, this is now three threads you are bangin on about it :lol: :lol: If you are I'm just jealous :P

How very dare you... I most certainly am not! :P:)

I Just appreciate good food.... Thats why I'm now attending Slimming World... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I worked in the Ridge many years ago, Its just noticeable how much its gone down over recent years.. Having said that it is my local.. lol..

• 6 months later...

The Ridge Farm has never been great, it's just cheap.

The Three Horse Shoes is far superior. Apart from the real ale buffs who get in.

Whats does the menu have on it I might try it when we come back next year.cheers Denzel. :icecream:

The Ridge Farm has never been great, it's just cheap.

The Three Horse Shoes is far superior. Apart from the real ale buffs who get in.

:wtf: the three horse shoes is disgusting! i got steak pie and chips and would honestly say i would rather eat the dogs bait!! the chips where soggy and the pie tasted like netto tinned steak! not to mention a choked on the side helping of veg! there was food all over the floor and cutlery down the back of the seats. proper stinkin! the prices are stupid like accolade only the food is probably a lot more edible from accolade!

the ridge farm may not be the best but i've never really had much to complain about while being there. the astley arms beats them both! 3.50 for a carvery and it tastes alright to!

• 2 weeks later...

The keel row used to be nice ... not sure what its like now tho ... we eat at the toby @ washington services, they do special nights through the week too, toby carvery curry night is lovely, dont knock curry and yorkshires till you try it :D

The only meal i ever eat at the ridge farm is the bbq chicken with veg and the chicken is lovely

however the vegetables are disgusting....the carrots actually taste like theyve been dipped in soap powder

i think the food quality isnt what it used to be there but u cant grumble too much for how much it costs

i prefer the snowy owl any day

xx

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now