Make A Fast Food Resteraunt For Teenagers In Bedlington. Restaurant

Make a fast food resteraunt in Bedlington  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember when on a Sunday all of us as teenagers went to moskies at the 'station' where we could meet and chat as long as we bought a frothy coffee or a bottle of Pepsi. I know I'm living in the past but I do understand that there is nowhere for the kids to hang out apart from the streets. We had the Y.M.C.A to go to as a youth club and actually met lads or lasses that went on to be their husband or wife. I don't know if it would work now but surely they could try for them. Of course it would have to be run by someone the kids would respect and not be old fashioned as the kids are a lot more clued up than we were in our day.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought, but maybe we need a McDonalds-esque place. A place with a neat, uncluttered layout, somewhere reasonably big (elliots garage would be perfect) that filled this gap, rather than relying on massive chains who clearly aren't interested. There's nothing to stop an independent making a go of it, and ripping off McDonalds etc. There's stacks of places who do exactly the same in Newcastle (chillingham road a prime example)

Paul,

Trouble is you have to consider running costs, set up costs, overheads etc for a place on Front Street. Write a business plan and then sit back and try to justify the turnover figures you are using! (Monsta's posting.)

It would seem this topic is essentially about youth provision, (Deb's posting) or the abject lack of it here. Should we as a community try to have a focussed effort in this area or do we just content ourselves with moaning about the problems associated with kids hanging around with nowhere to go? Given present constraints on capital spending by councils I think we have to be more innovative than ever and address this problem using a by product, almost, of other projects which can justify social investment. We need a holistic approach and that is why I think we need a strategic 'development' plan for Bedlington.

We need a holistic approach and that is why I think we need a strategic 'development' plan for Bedlington.

So what are our strengths as a town? Where should we focus this development effort? Other towns are playing their cards quite well at the moment. Morpeth is taking a retail approach, Blyth an industrial and technology based one. Perhaps entertainment? Maybe the "Night time economy" as previously suggested is the way to go for this or is the lure of "The Gate" and the "Metrocentre Qube" too great?

If we are going to languish as a dormitory town as is often suggested. Where are the B&Qs and Homebases?And why are we opposing housing development? It's a case of make our mind up time I think.

So what are our strengths as a town? Where should we focus this development effort? Other towns are playing their cards quite well at the moment. Morpeth is taking a retail approach, Blyth an industrial and technology based one. Perhaps entertainment? Maybe the "Night time economy" as previously suggested is the way to go for this or is the lure of "The Gate" and the "Metrocentre Qube" too great?

That's the $64,000 question GGGG and it's getting harder and harder to answer! Going forward we have to factor in less and less disposable incomes as far as entertainment and leisure goes anyway. Whatever we do come up with has to be embraced by the whole community or it will be a non starter. As always in these cases a good place to start would be listing the 'assets' and the 'liabilities'. In other words what do we need or aspire to, set against what do we have? The discrepancy will be where we need to focus our efforts.

• 9 months later...

what about Subway? the closest one is surely Cramlington or Morpeth? I doubt Subway would turn down a potential franchisee if someone wanted to open one in Bedlington, especially because they are much less picky about territories. Do people in Bedlington actually want a Subway though? For me its just too expensive for what you get. To get a "good" sandwich you end up paying about £4 - £5. I'd be interested to see whether people would actually use it. Also the franchise fee is pretty big so it would definitely need to do well to be worthwhile.

what about Subway? the closest one is surely Cramlington or Morpeth? I doubt Subway would turn down a potential franchisee if someone wanted to open one in Bedlington, especially because they are much less picky about territories. Do people in Bedlington actually want a Subway though? For me its just too expensive for what you get. To get a "good" sandwich you end up paying about £4 - £5. I'd be interested to see whether people would actually use it. Also the franchise fee is pretty big so it would definitely need to do well to be worthwhile.

Subway???? I think its because the words MANKY S**** spring to mind as the main reason i wouldnt spend 5 quid on a "Subway" Sandwich.

Where would teenagers get that sort of money... Robbery I should imagine.... Bad idea

WHAT! 4 OR 5 quid for a sarnie, c'mon Crimsonwizard this is your territory. I would much rather spend me money on a "good healthy fry-up". A least when I'm laying on a hospital bed, hooked up to a heart monitor in intensive care after suffering a heart attack its because I have enjoyed too many of the aforesaid fry-ups , not because I have had a coronary after forking out 5 quid on a piece of torpedo shaped dry bread with a bit of sweaty cheese slapped in it.

If we are going to languish as a dormitory town as is often suggested. Where are the B&Qs and Homebases?And why are we opposing housing development? It's a case of make our mind up time I think.

They're in the ample spaces provided by the loss of former companies who have fallen by the wayside, once that place went (forgot what it was called) went in Bebside, then Homebase, Walter Wall et al moved in, probably cos of the closeness of the spine road and passing traffic on the way into Blyth,held up by those traffic lights at the entrance to the industrial estate as requested by Fergusons.

Bedlington has nothing to offer any major company to move in and take a foothold, no open plan space for huge car parks, no 'fast' access to the arterial routes. And Ashingtpn keep screaming for more industrial estates, on top of the (forgotten how may thay actually have), but they want more built when there is god knows how many acres wasted on the one at North Seaton, miles of road before you actually get to the units then there's half a dozen in the middle of nowhere. Someone over optimistically developed that one hoping Homebase, B&Q et al would move in.

As usual Bedlington are told to go away, the same way Oliver Twist was when he requested 'Please Sir can I have some more'

'Please Sir can I have some more'

'Some' would be nice Andy never mind more!!!!!!

Some 'thing' would be good, Bedlington has nothing to entice anyone here, unless you need to sue a bad hairdresser with a takeaway fetish.

Can anyone explain the logic behind the suntan shop ?? There is now a third business there where the last 2 have locked up and left ?????

And CrimsonWizards venture of a food/sandwich shop (must call in sometime) surely where others have failed there must be something you are offering, or are being bunged to open up (Although hope the venture expands)

Is Bedlington a town of endless solicitors, hairdressers and takeaways ?? I'm sick to death of Bedlington having nothing, for crying out loud wasn't there a shire once called Bedlingtonshire ??? If the 'capital' has nothing then what do the 'planet' towns gain?

Surely I'm not the only one who's sick of the dilapidated front street, the aforementioned hairdressers, solicitors and takeaways (although I don't want them to fail), but there must be more to us than this ????

(If this makes no sense, I've had a drink or two, but am sick of having naff all leisure facilities in Bedlington) which in turn leads to a population explosion, as there's nowt on telly, nowt else to do to avoid the telly, therefore completing the circle of chavs with tracksuits tucked into socks hanging around street corners !!!!!

In my opinion, a fast food restaurant is the last thing Bedlington needs, there's some in Blyth and Ashington, like everything else you require for entertainment, get on the bus or jump in the car.

As usual Bedlington are told to go away, the same way Oliver Twist was when he requested 'Please Sir can I have some more'

Ah yes, but in the end Oliver comes through, and the Bumbles end up as inmates of the very workhouse they cruelly mismanaged.

Bumble on politicos - you have nothing to lose but your credibility. :D

I'm gonna book a few long sessions in the suntan shop that Andy mentions before my next depression fuelled visit to the Job Center. If I can persuade the wife to follow a few steps behind me wearing a Burkha [she can soon run one up on the sewing machine], I might just get a little more respect and someone might just take an interest in me and give me exactly what I am entitled to and actually do what they are trained to do and help me get back to work. A couple of prospetive employers have told me that even though I am better qualified for the job, they have given it to someone who is long term unemployed because of the incentives available for employing them. So, if the sun tan shop in the station can make sure that there are plenty of shillings in the leccy meter, I'll be along shortly

Edited by keith

Just an afterthought, if I take an interperater/advisor with me, I might be able to claim the cost of the sunbed sessions back. Just in case anyoneis still wondering, YES, some spotty faced, jumped up oik has wound me up the wrong way up there today. If anyone can use them, there will be a pile of clothes on Cambois beach later today, I have just read John Darwin's book, "Canoeing for the depressed"

Just an afterthought, if I take an interperater/advisor with me, I might be able to claim the cost of the sunbed sessions back. Just in case anyoneis still wondering, YES, some spotty faced, jumped up oik has wound me up the wrong way up there today. If anyone can use them, there will be a pile of clothes on Cambois beach later today, I have just read John Darwin's book, "Canoeing for the depressed"

What are you getting at here Keith? You mention Burkha and interpretor yet only last week you compare favourably the ethnic minority corner shops with our own. Just wondering. ////

What are you getting at here Keith? You mention Burkha and interpretor yet only last week you compare favourably the ethnic minority corner shops with our own. Just wondering. ////

Yeah but I am not going into their shops looking for a job, the good people in those shops are doing a fine job that they are willing to work hard at. If you read what I have written again, [i may have not phrased it very well, sorry] you will see that it is not the ethnic minority that I am criticising, it is the system. It seems that the staff at the DWP,or whatever it is called this month, are able to bend over backwards to help those who have made this country their home and expect us to look after them and their extended family [i include all immigrants not just Asians]. It may be that the staff at the DWP have to make sure that they get it right with those people, they don't want to step on some very tender toes, do they. I feel agreived by the fact that I have paid into the system for 40 years, taking very little out [ a short stay in hospital 25 years ago], never been unemployed till now and someone who has come into this country, cannot speak any English gets taken to the job center in a 09 registered RANGE ROVER, sits down with an interpreter then leaves with a big smile on his face. I on the other hand have been kept totally in the dark about exactly what help I am entitled to, I was only told about free eye tests and glasses after I had paid for them, yet they would not let me claim the cost back. Expences paid for attending a job interview out of the area? now that makes my butt cheeks really wobble with laughter........£6 to go to Carlisle and back. I wonder how far that Range Rover would get on £6 worth of fuel.

So FOXY, it is not those folk that have worked hard at running the corner shop, selling us what we want, when we want it that I am annoyed at, nor am I particularly annoyed at the man turning up in the Range Rover, after all he is just taking what he has been offered, I am annoyed by the fact that I am not being afforded the same respect, Now, is that not racism?

Yeah but I am not going into their shops looking for a job, the good people in those shops are doing a fine job that they are willing to work hard at. If you read what I have written again, [i may have not phrased it very well, sorry] you will see that it is not the ethnic minority that I am criticising, it is the system. It seems that the staff at the DWP,or whatever it is called this month, are able to bend over backwards to help those who have made this country their home and expect us to look after them and their extended family [i include all immigrants not just Asians]. It may be that the staff at the DWP have to make sure that they get it right with those people, they don't want to step on some very tender toes, do they. I feel agreived by the fact that I have paid into the system for 40 years, taking very little out [ a short stay in hospital 25 years ago], never been unemployed till now and someone who has come into this country, cannot speak any English gets taken to the job center in a 09 registered RANGE ROVER, sits down with an interpreter then leaves with a big smile on his face. I on the other hand have been kept totally in the dark about exactly what help I am entitled to, I was only told about free eye tests and glasses after I had paid for them, yet they would not let me claim the cost back. Expences paid for attending a job interview out of the area? now that makes my butt cheeks really wobble with laughter........£6 to go to Carlisle and back. I wonder how far that Range Rover would get on £6 worth of fuel.

So FOXY, it is not those folk that have worked hard at running the corner shop, selling us what we want, when we want it that I am annoyed at, nor am I particularly annoyed at the man turning up in the Range Rover, after all he is just taking what he has been offered, I am annoyed by the fact that I am not being afforded the same respect, Now, is that not racism?

Call it what you like but I think you should have whatever benefits are due to you after paying into the system all your life, and they should get nowt! I don"t sit on the fence, if they pay nothing in,they get nothing out. Some may call it racism,I call it Fairness. Edited by foxy
  • Like 2

Andy,

Seen you at the Bedlington Partnership meeting tonight? 6.30pm Sally Army.

Unless we, as a community, take the responsibility on for trying to get the facilities and amenities we feel we deserve then............

Sorry that time has me putting kids to bed etc, but will try and attend one soon.

The system is,nt designed for people like Keith who have worked and PAID in to this system for 40 years its designed for those who know how to use it to their advantage............. and take advantage they do irrispective of their ethenticity however I to object to us being the LAND OF MILK AND HONEY to all and sundry who come here from all the corners of the world and do no work or intend to (officially that is) pay nothing in to the system yet take great advantage of our political correctness and sponge , yet as I have said its there to be taken advantage of.

Try going to Iraq, India, Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, African countries etc etc and burn their national flag and see what happens to you, I doubt you will still recieve your benefits in those countries.

I,m not a racist before I get labled FAR from it I welcolm ANYONE regardles of colour or nationality but they should WORK pay taxes and obey the laws of our land, folks have laid their lives down so we can live our lives as we do and they should follow suit and if that upsets them well they should remember.

WE DID NOT ASK THEM TO COME HERE ........ THEY WANTED TO BE HERE.

Oh and btw sorry about going "off topic" I,m just on Keith side and folks like him.

Edited by sizsells
  • Like 1

We have a Subway, I remember going there, once...

Also sorry to go off topic but your not alone Keith, it is the same here in Canada and I think Brian will tell you it's the same down under, the minority has taken over! If some of the important issues were put to a plebiscite we all know how it would go!(I'm sure when we become the minority things will change!)

I do apologise to all you for going off on one and shifting the subject off topic. I think Vic, in Canada and Brian in Australia would correct me if I'm wrong, If you were accepted into any of those countries and did not have a job you would have to have a sponsor, someone to take responsibility for you because you will NOT be entitled to benefits having not made any contribution. I do know that if you went to Aus on a retirement visa you have to prove that you have substantial funds to support yourselves. The way to get benefits in this country is simple, sneak in through the Port of Dover in a trailer, get yourself caught when the driver stops for a break , get arrested and you are well on the way to the life of Riley. By the way , there are no clothes on Cambois beach, it was too bloody cold.

Edited by keith

It was as you say Keith, we needed a sponsor and job offer to get into Canada, we brought the mother-in-law (who didn't receive pension/benefits for 15 years) It is still the same today for white Europeans, but the flood gates are wide open for non white ethnic minorities, rusty old ships are beached and we open our doors for Tamils, Asians etc. They receive greater benefits than we do. Most of them migrate to the major cities and do not even try and assimilate to become Canadians, then they send home for their families!

Grande Cache has a very diverse population, (originally from all of the mining countries) I have friends from every corner of the world, but they became Canadians!

Bedlington has an underpass.... Or had one, stank of lash, as they tend to I recall. Lets face facts a fastfood place in bedders for the teenagers is fine but if Macdonalds thought it would work they would be one already. That company hires satelite time to look for places to land the're fast food palours. Taking into account local economies, locals habits, current take away food options in the area, the lot. Its probably a very intersting job.. anyway it hasnt happened so blame the chippies. I'm thankful for them.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now