Metal Fences In Market Place Around Grass

SuperMan

It's probably to protect the grass until it establishes otherwise when it's walked over, as the night of the re-opening, it will struggle to root. Also, with the weather the area looks very soft.

Wrong time of year to plant grass or lay turf, another well thought out idea by our council boffins :(

Creating a new lawn from scratch is easy if you pick the right time of year and prepare the site thoroughly.

Turf will quickly establish on soil that is warm and moist - autumn is perfect as new turf will also be regularly watered by winter rain. Turf can also be laid in spring, but avoid this time of year if you live in an area hit by a hosepipe ban as new turf needs frequent watering to prevent grasses from being put under stress.

This was taken from an article in BBC Gardeners World. It also states frosty.conditions should be avoided at all costs. Looks like the fencing will be there for the forseeable future!

When will the fences around the Grass in the Market Place be taken down? There is no point in having them there

4G this was the original post. I agree the grass will be fine but the fences will have to stay up well into spring to let the grass rooting system establish as you say to stop it being trampled.A bit of forward planning would have made sure that this area would have been completed in time for the grass to go down or left with just soil until spring,either way we would have had less time having to gawp at metal fencing!

Who is responsible for the upkeep of this VAST amount of grass? Do you not think this area would have been better with a low maintenance surface ie: astro turf. Or paved with a sculpture in the middle. This then would not require unsightly metal fencing for months on end! Just a thought!

Yeah OK I see your point. I do think the grass is preferable to the whole thing being paved, whether it's astroturf or real wouldn't bother me either way. Needs a bit of greenery. Is there any hanging baskets on the lamposts now I can't remember? Some of those big planters wouldn't go amiss either.

Don't even go there!more plastic bags full of !*!@# ! and we're on about the environment,what an absolute load of bullsh*t or in this case dog !*!@# . What are they going to put it in when plastic bags are done away with and the manufacturers are all on the dole :angry:

Don't even go there!more plastic bags full of !*!@# ! and we're on about the environment,what an absolute load of bullsh*t or in this case dog !*!@# . What are they going to put it in when plastic bags are done away with and the manufacturers are all on the dole :angry:

Merlin, I sometimes get the feeling that you may well upset yourself at life's little idiosyncrasies? :lol::lol::lol:

I think you are right the fences are going to be up for a while until the grass establishes itself. I would have been pressing for a NO maintenance finish there such as the two Merlin suggested. Someone will now have to maintain that site and as it is in a high profile position, but frequented by shall we say some of our less responsible younger members of our community, no doubt many maintenance visits will be needed to keep it at optimal appearance!

Well I think they have put them there to stop folks splitting there heads open as they fall on the metal spikes sticking out of the brickwork to stop the kids skateboarding and what was the point of hiring a iceskating rink it was like an ice rink itself because of the lack of salt..... :blink:

My point exactly in another thread Sizsels ( Head splitting )

All the salt went down the cracks between the slabs which haven't been filled in yet,and they are already starting to subside, high points are starting to show,but if you use dodgy contractors and black market labour you can't expect anything else! As Ive said before I hope the cooncil are well insured for all the compen' claims for all the head splitting, trips and falls. Good luck everybody and happy tripping :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now