Red Lion Restaurant

As long as something happens it will make a nice change. If there was ever a reply to the doubters who think Bedders isn't worth investing in this could be it. Once again we see the restrictions attached to the tag 'Conservation area' being used to stifle progress and investment into the commercial infrastructure of our town, maybe its time to relinquish that particular title? (On the flip side without it we probably wouldn't have the new market place.) We will soon know if it is a goer this time I think the planning meeting is next week, let's hope some people come to their senses and accept the very minor tweaks needed!

GGG, looks a bit of a do for a boilin the bag pasta seller! :lol:

Maybe the fuddy duddies will see the way forward, but I doubt it :( I for one hope they get the chance to give it ago, but remember you will have to help them give it a go by walking in off the street and using the place, that is of course if the scran is up to scratch :D

So thats upstairs. Whats down stairs? Luigi's Hair Emporium :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I hope its not another restaurant. We need a few more shops something of interest for the front street. Its just not worth venturing down the street for a shopping trip as theres only banks or estate agents windows to look in. I really will be didappointed if its another eating place.

Oh I hope its not another restaurant. We need a few more shops something of interest for the front street. Its just not worth venturing down the street for a shopping trip as theres only banks or estate agents windows to look in. I really will be didappointed if its another eating place.

Agreed, ironic isn't it we have loads of estate agents + solicitors if you're buying a house, but Bedlington has nothing to offer to make you want to buy a house=conundrum to solve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heard today once again, that Weatherspoons have purchased the Red Lion. Apparently this came from the Manageress of the Ashington Weatherspoons as she will be Managing it.. How true it is tho I don't know,..

YAWN! how many times has that been said in the last ten years! :lol: i heard lord lucan was having tea with elvis at munchy moos! :lol::lol::lol:

YAWN! how many times has that been said in the last ten years! :lol: i heard lord lucan was having tea with elvis at munchy moos! :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, I'm with Monsta on this one.

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=quick_search&search_sort_by=date&search_sort_order=desc&search_term=wetherspoon&search_filter_app[forums]=1

Heard today once again, that Weatherspoons have purchased the Red Lion. Apparently this came from the Manageress of the Ashington Weatherspoons as she will be Managing it.. How true it is tho I don't know,..

If that is right Weatherspoons have just bought a delicenced pub? I would think getting the licence back would be a real uphill struggle, arguing that the town needs another pub while most are on their uppers if not closing, would tax the persuasive powers of Aristotle!

If that is right Weatherspoons have just bought a delicenced pub? I would think getting the licence back would be a real uphill struggle, arguing that the town needs another pub while most are on their uppers if not closing, would tax the persuasive powers of Aristotle!

As far as i'm aware the Lion was put back up for sale having been relicensed - at least provisionally - after the original plans fell through. I doubt, however, that Wetherspoons are in the least bit interested in it.

Malcolm, Weatherspoons have money... yes? In todays Bedlington climate the trend seems to be:- If you have money and want something done in Bedlington then just chuck money at it and you will get what you want...yes? So I don't think a delicenced building would be a problem to Weatherspoons, not that I think they are actually coming to Bedlington mind you! If they were to come it would put a few nails in the coffins of our few remaining pubs!

Merc,

Not sure you can get a 'change of use' provisionally?

I am pretty sure an application along these lines would precipitate quite a close examination of the knock on effects. It's a bit like the whole Tesco deal, you get an 'aggressive' national in and the local independents must catch a cold.

Having said that I know there is a debate at the moment about improving the night time economy in places like Bedlington so this might fit into that thinking?

I would like to agree with Mr D's thoughts and I think Weatherspoons would have made a good strategic fit for Bedders but they are in the business of servicing an existing client base not taking a punt on developing one from scratch.

I heard today its been confirmed wetherspoons have bought the place but ive been on the website and it hasnt been put on there yet. I really hope it has, wetherspoons in ashington is a decent place to go for a beer and a burger think its the kind of thing that would kick start bedlingtons night life again.

Well.. a girl can dream.. haha x

As one of my posts last year, I contacted Weatherspoons who said that the Red Lion was too far out of the Town for them to be interested. I hope that the posts in this threat are right cause Bedders needs some sort of kick start.

I heard today its been confirmed wetherspoons have bought the place but ive been on the website and it hasnt been put on there yet. I really hope it has, wetherspoons in ashington is a decent place to go for a beer and a burger think its the kind of thing that would kick start bedlingtons night life again.

Well.. a girl can dream.. haha x

wheres the proof? :rolleyes:

the day wetherspoons buys the lion, will be the same day eddy the eagle wins a gold medal! :lol:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now