Bedlington.co.uk Community Fund

Cympil

Have you thought about adding a donations bit to the site? Any money donated would be towards what the people of Bedlington want, so this site is the ideal place to start.

I`m not sure about raising thousands for the radio, but i suppose that all depends on how many people donate and how much money they donate :D Any donations, however small, will help. It all adds up.

We might be able to afford some xmas lights for next year too, paid for by the people of Bedlington.

Take matters into our own hands without relying on the council.

• Like 2

Have you thought about adding a donations bit to the site?

I certainly have and I'm all for the idea but it would have to be properly managed and something I personally don't have the time for. Anybody with a track record in this area? The software bit is easy.

You have to be very careful about taking public donations Cym. The right structure has to be in place and it has to be for a defined purpose and fully accountable. It's not something we'd want to rush into here.

And as far as b.co.uk is concerned, frankly we don't need any! All we need is a little bit of commercial sponsorship (read paid advertising) from local business, and more people with ability giving some of their free time.

But.. I can see ways that this could get our local radio off the ground.

I`m not sure about raising thousands for the radio, but i suppose that all depends on how many people donate and how much money they donate :D Any donations, however small, will help. It all adds up.

We might be able to afford some xmas lights for next year too, paid for by the people of Bedlington.

Take matters into our own hands without relying on the council.

Who would decide on where the money goes? Would we take applications and then put up a public poll? What would be the eligibility criteria for applying?

WHAT! Donation! what you think this is banardo's or somit! they get enough from taxes to pay for these things!

heres a mad idea!

i saw on the telly a few nights ago this small town next to a big wind farm and instead of moaning like most do, they approached the developers and bought a windturbine for themselves. now the windturbine makes the town a heap of money i think it was something like 190,000 pounds a year from selling the leccy back to the grid! so whats stopping beddlington doing something like that?

before someone says "but they cost loads of money" the town borrowed the 2million and the money the turbine makes is split between the debt and the town! :D

so whats stopping beddlington doing something like that?

The lack of wind. See Wansbeck General Hospitals turbine output for the ACTUAL economics of a wind turbine :)

Good to see people are starting to use their brains though and come up with ideas.

The lack of wind. See Wansbeck General Hospitals turbine output for the ACTUAL economics of a wind turbine :)

Good to see people are starting to use their brains though and come up with ideas.

what you mean the lack of wind cambois already has turbines lets put it there! :D

It's a nice idea but I fear only economic on a bigger scale so things like servicing and repair costs, planning and management fees could be shared and this is probably how the town you speak of did things. They probably leave the running of the thing to the original developer and have simply invested in the wind farm itself. You would also need some security to borrow against.

It's a nice idea but I fear only economic on a bigger scale so things like servicing and repair costs, planning and management fees could be shared and this is probably how the town you speak of did things. They probably leave the running of the thing to the original developer and have simply invested in the wind farm itself. You would also need some security to borrow against.

why the little town and i mean little town ( probably the size of netherton) had no security they got a loan straight from the government!

Here you go...

Operator of Cambois turbines https://www.eon-uk.c...rationform.aspx

Give them a ring and see how much they want for one? Ask them what they would charge to maintain and operate it on our behalf too.

2 million for the big ones at cambois! and the maintaince charge would be split from the revenue from the wind turbine! :D

We went to Gatehouse of Fleet in Dumfries and Galloway on holiday and they've done a similar thing to the original example. The turbine is sited on a farm. The farm is paid rent in the form of electricity and the town takes its share. The surplus is taken up by the national grid and any profits are put back into the local area to provide leisure facilities etc. They also had a leisure centre which was paid for, through huge amounts of fundraising, and built by the people in the town (Kirkcudbright. Some good examples to look at.

If we'd been a little brighter with our unmatched industrial heritage (and I certainly don't mean the dumb conservation areas) we'd have had an area-beating tourist industry to bring the cash in. Beamish wouldn't have had a look in!

Then, of course, there's those cute little woolly things the world is so fond of.

If we'd been a little brighter with our unmatched industrial heritage (and I certainly don't mean the dumb conservation areas) we'd have had an area-beating tourist industry to bring the cash in. Beamish wouldn't have had a look in!

Then, of course, there's those cute little woolly things the world is so fond of.

Is that irony or sarcasm GGG? :rolleyes:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now