Streaming Video

Pete

Having problems with streaming video, constant stop/start as though computer cant handle it.

Using pentium 4

Radion graphics card

1 gig ram

Windows XP

Anybody any ideas?

Try pausing the video and letting some of the video buffer. Also make sure you are not trying to view hi-def versions because your computer likely won't handle it with those specs depnding on the P4 version.

Try pausing the video and letting some of the video buffer. Also make sure you are not trying to view hi-def versions because your computer likely won't handle it with those specs depnding on the P4 version.

Definitly not using hi-def but tried your suggestion of pausing and it does work but it is a bit slow. Perhaps time has come for a new computer

Definitly not using hi-def but tried your suggestion of pausing and it does work but it is a bit slow. Perhaps time has come for a new computer

If pausing it and letting it buffer is causing the improvement then it is your internet connection that is the bottleneck not the computer.

If pausing it and letting it buffer is causing the improvement then it is your internet connection that is the bottleneck not the computer.

just something i found!

Problem #1: Choppy PC Video Playback--Choppy video is usually a PC performance related issue. Here are a few things you can try to stop choppy playback and improve computer performance.

Solution A. Turn Off Hardware Acceleration-All media applications require different aspects of your computer's hardware. Depending on the task, the requirements may change. Turning off hardware acceleration allows the application to set the requirements itself and not be forced to use one universal setting. Hardware acceleration has been to known to cause choppy PC playback, application crashes and slow streaming video problems.

You can eliminate the problem below:

1.Click on "Start"

2.Click "Control Panel"

3.Select the "Settings" tab and click on the "Advanced".

4.Click on the "Troubleshoot" tab.

5.Disable the hardware acceleration completely by dragging the slider to the extreme left.

Solution B. Turn off Video Acceleration-The reason for this tweak is the similar to hardware acceleration. This act frees up resources in your media player and not your hardware. However you will need to decrease video acceleration in your chosen player. Some sites like Youtube.com don't offer this option. However, Windows Media Player gives the ability to easily alter this problem, follow the steps below. Other players' instructions will vary.

1. In Windows Media Player

2. Click the "Tools" menu tab

3. Click on "Options"

4. Select the "Performance" tab.

5. Move the Video Acceleration Slider to "None"

Solution C. Adjust your Windows Desktop Visual Effects-You computer will get a significance boost in

speed. This tweak will also free up more resources for your media player and PC performance.

1.Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel".

2.Click "System" and Choose "Display".

3.Find the "Advanced" tab and Click

4.Under "Performance", Click "Settings"

5.Under "Visuals Effects", you may choose from a list of options such as "Adjust for best performance" or custom. If you choose Adjust for best performance all the features will be unchecked.

For more performance tips check the "Speed Up PC" to free up more resources to stop PC choppy playback.

Problem #2: Slow and Constant Buffering-This problem can be attributed to two factors internet speed and your media player. You can tweak your PC setting in both areas to cut down on slow streaming video. Remember that each player has its own buffer settings. Below is an how to change buffer setting in Media Player.

Solution A. Adjust Buffer Settings-- To change the default buffer settings in Windows Media Player, use the following steps:

1.Start Windows Media Player

2.Click the "View" men

3.Click "Options"

4.On the "Advanced" tab, click "Streaming Media"(Windows Media)

5.Click "Change" to alter the buffer settings.

Remember that the higher you set the buffer the more of the clip will be loaded. The waiting time before you can see or hear the file will be longer, but there should be fewer interruptions once the clip begins to play.

:D

just something i found!

Problem #1: Choppy PC Video Playback--Choppy video is usually a PC performance related issue. Here are a few things you can try to stop choppy playback and improve computer performance.

Solution A. Turn Off Hardware Acceleration-All media applications require different aspects of your computer's hardware. Depending on the task, the requirements may change. Turning off hardware acceleration allows the application to set the requirements itself and not be forced to use one universal setting. Hardware acceleration has been to known to cause choppy PC playback, application crashes and slow streaming video problems.

You can eliminate the problem below:

1.Click on "Start"

2.Click "Control Panel"

3.Select the "Settings" tab and click on the "Advanced".

4.Click on the "Troubleshoot" tab.

5.Disable the hardware acceleration completely by dragging the slider to the extreme left.

Solution B. Turn off Video Acceleration-The reason for this tweak is the similar to hardware acceleration. This act frees up resources in your media player and not your hardware. However you will need to decrease video acceleration in your chosen player. Some sites like Youtube.com don't offer this option. However, Windows Media Player gives the ability to easily alter this problem, follow the steps below. Other players' instructions will vary.

1. In Windows Media Player

2. Click the "Tools" menu tab

3. Click on "Options"

4. Select the "Performance" tab.

5. Move the Video Acceleration Slider to "None"

Solution C. Adjust your Windows Desktop Visual Effects-You computer will get a significance boost in

speed. This tweak will also free up more resources for your media player and PC performance.

1.Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel".

2.Click "System" and Choose "Display".

3.Find the "Advanced" tab and Click

4.Under "Performance", Click "Settings"

5.Under "Visuals Effects", you may choose from a list of options such as "Adjust for best performance" or custom. If you choose Adjust for best performance all the features will be unchecked.

For more performance tips check the "Speed Up PC" to free up more resources to stop PC choppy playback.

Problem #2: Slow and Constant Buffering-This problem can be attributed to two factors internet speed and your media player. You can tweak your PC setting in both areas to cut down on slow streaming video. Remember that each player has its own buffer settings. Below is an how to change buffer setting in Media Player.

Solution A. Adjust Buffer Settings-- To change the default buffer settings in Windows Media Player, use the following steps:

1.Start Windows Media Player

2.Click the "View" men

3.Click "Options"

4.On the "Advanced" tab, click "Streaming Media"(Windows Media)

5.Click "Change" to alter the buffer settings.

Remember that the higher you set the buffer the more of the clip will be loaded. The waiting time before you can see or hear the file will be longer, but there should be fewer interruptions once the clip begins to play.

:D

Thanks Monsta I have tried some of those solutions but with no luck, some video runs fine some drops out, it may be that Fourgee has hit the nail on the head it could be my internet connestion.

I am using a BT connection but I have got quite a long extension lead from phone socket to router, not sure if I install a wireles card whether that might make a difference.

it may be that Fourgee has hit the nail on the head it could be my internet connestion.

Pete, if you pause the video and wait till the buffer fills, let the bar at the bottom of the video get right to the end and then play it back. If it plays back fine after doing that then it's your internet connection.

Pete, if you pause the video and wait till the buffer fills, let the bar at the bottom of the video get right to the end and then play it back. If it plays back fine after doing that then it's your internet connection.

Yes using that method it works fine but could a long extension lead be causing a problem?

yeah it's now more and more likely to be your internet connection, if you can try again easily (without rearranging your house) from the master phone socket bypassing that lead then we can see what difference the extension is making. sounds like you migh do well at looking into changing ISPs who you with at the moment and how far from the exchange are you?

yeah it's now more and more likely to be your internet connection, if you can try again easily (without rearranging your house) from the master phone socket bypassing that lead then we can see what difference the extension is making. sounds like you migh do well at looking into changing ISPs who you with at the moment and how far from the exchange are you?

ISP is BT

We are quite a long way from the nearest exchange approxamatly two to three miles by road, not sure how far as the crow flies.

Edited by Pete

stick your postcode in that samknows checker and click locality. It'll give you an approximate distance.

Strange result it appears there is another exchange but its the same distance as the one I thought we were using and according to samknows it does not support wireles.

how longs your extension like? i was told by "pc world head tech" that your extension should be no more than 10 metres from the filter or wall socket or you start getting problems like lost or damaged packets! these can slow down your internet but not to that extent! probably worth ringing your provider and get them telt about there !*!@# speeds!

do you have a cap on downloads? you might have exceeded your monthly max download limit and your internet speed has been restricted. as i once found out when i was with eclipse!

thinkbroadband.com do a downloadable app that tells you a load stuff like speeds, download size etc

I have to say, im trying to get my grandad set up on Sky's base broadband, thats 2BMps (4 times as fast as yours) for only £5.99pm without skly talk, otherwise its free. I used BT for a while and it was terrible, sorry to break it to you, but they have you hoodwinked... if you dont want to change, call BT up and tell them that if they do not increase your download speed then you will be moving to another ISP. We did that and they offered us an upgrade from 2 to 8 MBps for half the price. BT is known for this AND their bad line quality. Seriously, new ISP needs to be on christmas list ;-)

Toby

• Like 2

I have to say, im trying to get my grandad set up on Sky's base broadband, thats 2BMps (4 times as fast as yours) for only £5.99pm without skly talk, otherwise its free. I used BT for a while and it was terrible, sorry to break it to you, but they have you hoodwinked... if you dont want to change, call BT up and tell them that if they do not increase your download speed then you will be moving to another ISP. We did that and they offered us an upgrade from 2 to 8 MBps for half the price. BT is known for this AND their bad line quality. Seriously, new ISP needs to be on christmas list ;-)

Toby

2mbs for 5.99 :lol: you can get 8mps for 7.99 from o2 or 6.49 from talk talk (comes with a 40gig cap). i would say clear of sky there customer service sucks!

2mbs for 5.99 :lol: you can get 8mps for 7.99 from o2 or 6.49 from talk talk (comes with a 40gig cap). i would say clear of sky there customer service sucks!

Every time i had an issue (all 2 times) they have fixed it no problem. I get 20MBps for £10 coz we have sky talk as well. I average 16MBps peak.

Toby

I am using a BT connection but I have got quite a long extension lead from phone socket to router, not sure if I install a wireles card whether that might make a difference.

i had the same problem turns out my extention cable was faulfy so i plug the router strait into the filter then phone socket and speed came back

wireless should run fine just plug router direct to wall socket

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now