Damaged Street Furniture And Other Things Needing Fixed

When you travel through a town it is easy to establish if you would like to live there or not. One factor is the site of damaged street furniture and graffiti. If it is prevelant you know that the local authorities are not interested in rectifying such problems and shows the likelihood of a high crime rate and reduced house prices. Although many are not bothered about living in such an envirnoment, the majority are. SO WHO DO WE REPORT MATTERS SUCH AS THIS TO SO THAT DAMAGE AND GRAFFITI CAN BE FIXED? There are many numbers and agencies to phone, but it would be nice to have a number to phone for such matters and that when phoned, we would know someone was looking at the matters in question and were going to rectify them.

For years there has been graffiti on the BT box at the front of Hazelmere estate. I had spoken to a BT workman there one day about it and he didnt want to know. There is graffiti on a sign on the opposite side of the road to The Ridge Farm pub with an arrow pointing to Bedlington front street saying'TO THE **IT HOLE'(apt?).The latter is offensive but it has never been painted over. The green metal protector for a tree outside LLOYDS has been wrecked for months and nothing has been done to fix it......it goes on!!!!!

CAN SOMEONE POST A NUMBER/CONTACT ON THIS SITE FOR WHO SHOULD BE CONTACTED TO GET THESE THINGS AND MANY OTHERS FIXED SO THAT BEDLINGTON CAN TRY AND START TO BE PROUD OF ITSELF? WE ALL HAVE A PART TO PLAY IN REPORTING SUCH 'MINOR' DAMAGES BUT WILL DO WONDERS FOR THE GOOD OF ALL AND WILL GET THE COUNCIL MOVING AS THEY WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT SUCH MATTERS UNLESS THEY ARE PUSHED!!

Keep Bedlington Tidy Campaign....... :D

• Like 1

When you travel through a town it is easy to establish if you would like to live there or not. One factor is the site of damaged street furniture and graffiti. If it is prevelant you know that the local authorities are not interested in rectifying such problems and shows the likelihood of a high crime rate and reduced house prices. Although many are not bothered about living in such an envirnoment, the majority are. SO WHO DO WE REPORT MATTERS SUCH AS THIS TO SO THAT DAMAGE AND GRAFFITI CAN BE FIXED? There are many numbers and agencies to phone, but it would be nice to have a number to phone for such matters and that when phoned, we would know someone was looking at the matters in question and were going to rectify them.

For years there has been graffiti on the BT box at the front of Hazelmere estate. I had spoken to a BT workman there one day about it and he didnt want to know. There is graffiti on a sign on the opposite side of the road to The Ridge Farm pub with an arrow pointing to Bedlington front street saying'TO THE **IT HOLE'(apt?).The latter is offensive but it has never been painted over. The green metal protector for a tree outside LLOYDS has been wrecked for months and nothing has been done to fix it......it goes on!!!!!

CAN SOMEONE POST A NUMBER/CONTACT ON THIS SITE FOR WHO SHOULD BE CONTACTED TO GET THESE THINGS AND MANY OTHERS FIXED SO THAT BEDLINGTON CAN TRY AND START TO BE PROUD OF ITSELF? WE ALL HAVE A PART TO PLAY IN REPORTING SUCH 'MINOR' DAMAGES BUT WILL DO WONDERS FOR THE GOOD OF ALL AND WILL GET THE COUNCIL MOVING AS THEY WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT SUCH MATTERS UNLESS THEY ARE PUSHED!!

We have just the tool and it's called the "Issue Tracker". Click the link under "community" in the menu or follow this link.

Contact Number for Northumberland County Council 0845 600 4 600

You are right........everyone does have a part to play and it is up to the public to report these things otherwise how will the Council know about damages.

I used to work for a "Local Council" and my family and friends would often complain to me about a street light not working for weeks and say "it's a bloody disgrace because it's dark and not safe" i would ask them "have you reported it"? they always said no!!

How the hell can the council repair something if all people do is complain among themselves but not bother making a phone call or going into one of the offices? Every one just assumes someone else will report the problem when in fact no one does. The staff don't drive around at night in the dark looking to see what lights are off or do walk abouts during the day to check for graffiti (maybe they should).

p.s is dosn't matter what department you work in or what job you do,.... you work for the "cooncil" so you're to blame :D

When you travel through a town it is easy to establish if you would like to live there or not. One factor is the site of damaged street furniture and graffiti.

its not that bad! you have'nt been through shields road, byker lately have you! :lol: can't say i've notice much graffiti or damaged street furniture? other than the occasional !*!@# o** or someones gay sprayed by the bored youth!

its not that bad! you have'nt been through shields road, byker lately have you! :lol: can't say i've notice much graffiti or damaged street furniture? other than the occasional !*!@# o** or someones gay sprayed by the bored youth!

With due respect, and while i agree it's 'not that bad', this is the sort of attitude that is part and parcel of the problem; or is it simply the complacency of modern man?

Deeming that spraying obscenities on fences, signs and walls is in some way 'acceptable' 9and from your post i'm in two minds as to whether you think it is) is a sign of the times, surely? The thing is, not only is it not acceptable, but it's easily rectified. I must admit to being an avbid reader of graffiti - when it's funny (the eternal 'Poo' on the way down the bank gets me every time) but that such stays there for so long, as do the instances mentioned by the original poster, is curious to say the least.

Mayor Guiliani, when in charge of New York, began his crackdown on crime in that city with th 'broken window' approach: no longer were the minor, seemingly irrelevant problems left to fester, they were dealt with straight away. Bedlington is, however you look at it, rife with graffiti that has been there for years - where are the community service bods with their whitewash?

It doesn't take all of us to buck up our ideas, but it only takes a few thinking 'well, it's not that bad' to leave it as it is.

With due respect, and while i agree it's 'not that bad', this is the sort of attitude that is part and parcel of the problem; or is it simply the complacency of modern man?

Deeming that spraying obscenities on fences, signs and walls is in some way 'acceptable' 9and from your post i'm in two minds as to whether you think it is) is a sign of the times, surely? The thing is, not only is it not acceptable, but it's easily rectified. I must admit to being an avbid reader of graffiti - when it's funny (the eternal 'Poo' on the way down the bank gets me every time) but that such stays there for so long, as do the instances mentioned by the original poster, is curious to say the least.

Mayor Guiliani, when in charge of New York, began his crackdown on crime in that city with th 'broken window' approach: no longer were the minor, seemingly irrelevant problems left to fester, they were dealt with straight away. Bedlington is, however you look at it, rife with graffiti that has been there for years - where are the community service bods with their whitewash?

It doesn't take all of us to buck up our ideas, but it only takes a few thinking 'well, it's not that bad' to leave it as it is.

hold on this aint queens or the bronx! theres no quadruple homocides in the tesco carpark here now! neither is there a budget like new yorks, as for the attitude being part and parcel what's wrong with a bit of tolerance or the place will end up like north korea! :lol:

hold on this aint queens or the bronx! theres no quadruple homocides in the tesco carpark here now! neither is there a budget like new yorks, as for the attitude being part and parcel what's wrong with a bit of tolerance or the place will end up like north korea! :lol:

Budget? What budget does it take to paint over a few bits of dodgy graffiti? How much does a community service bod cost?

If your ideal is that we tolerate it, it will get worse.

As for doing it ourselves, we'd probably be done for defacing public property!

Budget? What budget does it take to paint over a few bits of dodgy graffiti? How much does a community service bod cost?

If your ideal is that we tolerate it, it will get worse.

As for doing it ourselves, we'd probably be done for defacing public property

I think the council costs are high enough as it is, I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to raise the community charge anymore than absolutly necessary.

so what you are saying is let graffitti and damage remain then?

Those who are caught causing such damage should be humiliated and made to clean up in bright coloured suits! That will allow the public to see they are paying for their crimes and will deter them from doing the same again in future. Kids dont care about cautions/convictions but care about their street cred! There's no street cred in the above! There is something now in place called community resolution(http://www.northumbria.police.uk/advice_and_information/commres/index.asp) where offenders can 'clean up' such damage instead of being cautioned/convicted. That may help a little. :D

so what you are saying is let graffitti and damage remain then?

Certainly not, it gives a bad reflection of the area in general. I would just like to see some of the budgets already in place being used solely to address these sorts of problems, as they should be. Also if a street or an estate for example wanted to do something along these lines for itself the very least the authorities could do, by way of recognition, is to have in place something along the lines of what you suggested for any transgressors. There is an idea currently being discussed which would fall into exactly this sort of category, it will be interesting to see how much backing the authorities and the community give it, if it gets off the drawing board that is given current health and safety laws and liability insurance!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now