Summer Street Fair

Hi all

Ok, I know Im a bit early with this one but..... Because we have now had a little bit of a do for the switching on of the Christmas lights, does this mean that we can now have a summer fair again??? When the council was asked a few years ago Why is there no street fair, We were told it was because it cost to much for the insurance and policing and they did not get enough donations by the local shop owners ??? but now they have shown that they can do it. It was so nice to see the street alive again. Bedlington used to be the place that everyone came to, now it's just a ghost town with business closing left right and center.

Also with Tommy the eggs man switching on the lights, all because of a group of facebook I think the people have more power than we think. It's now time to fight back and get OUR BEDLINGTON BACK.

Im sorry if none of this makes sense, I don't type very well when I get excited.

• Like 3

Makes perfect sense and I couldn't agree more, it's what we've been trying to convince people for years. We have the tools to make our voices heard we just need to use them. Tommy's done his bit and the town's representatives have taken notice.

A few of the local councillors are already members here and have been contributing more actively in recent weeks. I've also been speaking to them about even more ways they can get involved so watch this space!

Regarding a summer street fair, because of the way local government is now structured the Town Council can, and I think should, apply for additional Lottery funding for this type of thing.

Hi all

Ok, I know Im a bit early with this one but..... Because we have now had a little bit of a do for the switching on of the Christmas lights, does this mean that we can now have a summer fair again??? When the council was asked a few years ago Why is there no street fair, We were told it was because it cost to much for the insurance and policing and they did not get enough donations by the local shop owners ??? but now they have shown that they can do it. It was so nice to see the street alive again. Bedlington used to be the place that everyone came to, now it's just a ghost town with business closing left right and center.

Also with Tommy the eggs man switching on the lights, all because of a group of facebook I think the people have more power than we think. It's now time to fight back and get OUR BEDLINGTON BACK.

Im sorry if none of this makes sense, I don't type very well when I get excited.

Power to the people, keep it going Stephen

Loved it all tonight and thought the atmosphere was amazing - felt just like it used to on picnic days etc. (but not as warm!!)It'd be fantastic to have a proper fair again.

Im already excited for the summer fair..

we've proven we can.. and we WILL do something fantastic for it and get the town representives to pay attention even if it is with another facebook group. :D

Im putting plans together in my head already ;)

Iv Already Started a Facebook group I'll Post the link When Im done. Im trying to get Statistics and images but finding it really hard. It's like Bedlington History Has vanished

One Question.... Was it the also know as the Miners Picnic or was that another event??

Iv Already Started a Facebook group I'll Post the link When Im done. Im trying to get Statistics and images but finding it really hard. It's like Bedlington History Has vanished

One Question.... Was it the also know as the Miners Picnic or was that another event??

I think there was a Miners Picnic and then later came the street fair. Seperate events but the Miners Picnic would have had by far the greater turnout. Some of our more mature members will fill in the history.

Not sure I quite qualify as a 'more mature member' Fourgee....but lets just say I have a good memory of my childhood in Bedlington.

The Miners Picnic was the annual gathering of Northumberland mineworkers & traditionally took place in Bedlington (until Ashington stole it in the 1980's - just as they did the Christmas lights the Bedlington Traders bought...enough said.)

The day began with a march, by all the Northumberland colliery bands, from Westlea all the way down to Atlee Park (stopping on route outside the Council Offices for the band competition). Jazz bands from all over the region also marched this route.The sound was amazing & crowds gathered all along the way to watch & clap. After the bands, the miners would march with their Colliery Banners. Once at Atlee Park, local & national dignitries & miners union reps would give speeches. Everone would be sitting around the band stand with their picnics.

Once the speeches were over, everyone went back up Front Street. There was a fun fair on the 20 Acres field, stalls & sideshows along Front Street and of course all the pubs were open! The merryment continued all day & evening.

The Bedlington Fair is a much more recent event which I only rmember running for a few years then fizzling out. There were stalls & side shows along Front Street and a procession of floats, I remember but it was not nearly as huge an event as The Picnic which brought in people from all over the region.

It would be fantastic to try to have an event along these lines again. I for one would love to be involved in making this happen & I'm sure alot of other Bedlingtonians would keen to help out too. Maybe we could all 'sign up to be involved' then meet up in the New Year to get the ball rolling?

Edited by Bedlington Girl
  • Like 4

The Bedlington Fair is a much more recent event which I only rmember running for a few years then fizzling out. There were stalls & side shows along Front Street and a procession of floats, I remember but it was not nearly as huge an event as The Picnic which brought in people from all over the region.

It would be fantastic to try to have an event along these lines again. I for one would love to be involved in making this happen & I'm sure alot of other Bedlingtonians would keen to help out too. Maybe we could all 'sign up to be involved' then meet up in the New Year to get the ball rolling?

The Bedlington Fair was run by a small group attached to the old Bedlington Forum. Great to get everyone fired up and involved, makes the job so much easier, but you do need 'offical' backing there is loads of stuff to be considered, its not like organising a school fete. Don't want to sound negative as I will certinley help in any way possible.

• Like 1

Fantastic! what a great opportunity to get involved and get others to participate, there are lots out there that can help they just need a nudge! look to the youth, groups and schools.

The Picnic was a good example of what can be achieved, I suggest you come up with a theme! Our Town had it's 40th anniversary this year, they invited ex pats, had entertainment, sports and politicians! (I can remember the Attlee Park BS sorry speeches)

• Like 1

It seems a worthwhile endeavour fully deserving of the town's support.

I have some experience in organizing public events (steam and vintage vehicle shows) and for any advice I can give on marketing and/or drumming up exhibits/shows/stalls you're welcome to 'pick my brains'.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now