Monitor Problems

Monsta®

me monitor is suffering from pixel flare! any one have any idea what could be causing this?

the main symptoms are random pixels of changing/ flickering colours (not dead or stuck pixels) when this occurs it can be cancelled by turning off the montor a few times

any ideas? :blink:

Sounds like a graphics card problem...

How would the graphics card know that the monitor has been turned on and off a few times?

As usual not enough info to give an accurate diagnosis. VGA or DVI or other connection being the main unknown here. Make and model of monitor + graphics card would help too. And.. we don't even get to know for sure if it's a CRT or LCD. rolleyes.gif

General advice: right click on the desktop and change video res. and colour depth to see what happens.

Normally this would sound like duff graphics RAM chips on card, but in this case it is starting to sound more like local RAM or display circuitry on the monitor.

How would the graphics card know that the monitor has been turned on and off a few times?

As usual not enough info to give an accurate diagnosis. VGA or DVI or other connection being the main unknown here. Make and model of monitor + graphics card would help too. And.. we don't even get to know for sure if it's a CRT or LCD. rolleyes.gif

General advice: right click on the desktop and change video res. and colour depth to see what happens.

Normally this would sound like duff graphics RAM chips on card, but in this case it is starting to sound more like local RAM or display circuitry on the monitor.

the graphics card is an ATI Radeon hd 2600 xt (msi) and the monitor is a hanns-g 19" lcd (hc194d)

the problem started not long after installing windows 7!!!

tried changing the res, colour depth, refresh rate and it does clear the problem until the pc is restarted then once more the pixels have a fit and the power button is pressed two - three times till corrected.

:blink:

the graphics card is an ATI Radeon hd 2600 xt (msi) and the monitor is a hanns-g 19" lcd (hc194d)

the problem started not long after installing windows 7!!!

tried changing the res, colour depth, refresh rate and it does clear the problem until the pc is restarted then once more the pixels have a fit and the power button is pressed two - three times till corrected.

blink.gif

You still don't say if you are using a VGA or DVI connection - the important thing remember! tongue.gif

Monitor has both connections and so you could just be using a DVI - VGA adaptor (possibly one is supplied with the card?). If you are using a VGA lead then the actual prob is almost certainly nothing to do with the computer or graphics card.

If it's using the DVI input then try a better quality DVI lead before condemning the monitor, though here there is an outside chance the card is implicated in the problem. All DVI leads are not created equal. I don't suppose the monitor supports DVI-D but haven't checked. Probably the card does. But DVI-D leads will most often be better quality than plain ones; especially long budget plain ones!

If this is 100% DVI then try swapping to a VGA lead at the same res. etc. to see if the problem persists. If it does then, as indicated above, it is fairly safe to condemn the monitor.

BTW I wouldn't call this problem flaring; that's something confined to CRTs. It sounds more like a data clocking problem.

Perhaps because it could be sending the monitor faulty data, and turning the monitor off then on clears it?

Just trying the cheep options first...

*Snatches dummy from air* Phew! Nearly! ;)

You still don't say if you are using a VGA or DVI connection - the important thing remember! tongue.gif

Monitor has both connections and so you could just be using a DVI - VGA adaptor (possibly one is supplied with the card?). If you are using a VGA lead then the actual prob is almost certainly nothing to do with the computer or graphics card.

If it's using the DVI input then try a better quality DVI lead before condemning the monitor, though here there is an outside chance the card is implicated in the problem. All DVI leads are not created equal. I don't suppose the monitor supports DVI-D but haven't checked. Probably the card does. But DVI-D leads will most often be better quality than plain ones; especially long budget plain ones!

If this is 100% DVI then try swapping to a VGA lead at the same res. etc. to see if the problem persists. If it does then, as indicated above, it is fairly safe to condemn the monitor.

BTW I wouldn't call this problem flaring; that's something confined to CRTs. It sounds more like a data clocking problem.

sorry its a dvi and its a quality one cost a tenner (i got it half price) made by philips!

data clocking sounds like i need to look into this! :D thanks

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now