Sustrans Cycle Route

Thanks Monsta

I have all on the list of nominees except John Birkenshaw and have just added him - do you have any details on him or know of any photographs. Will try my old friend Google too

apart from wiki and he improved cast iron rails and he had some connection with george stephenson ???

Thank you for the update Phillipa. I am sorry there have been funding issues. As far as I understood (and I voted for Sustrans) the Peoples Lottery grant of 50 million that Sustrans won was carved up around the country and this funding was ring fenced and safe...

I wonder if there is any way that kids can be discouraged from riding stupid little motorbikes on the new tracks. Some kind of barrier?

On the riverside path they can be a menace. We take our dog there a lot and I used to go there a lot with my son when he was a baby because it is accessible for pushchairs.

On one occasion one of the idiots rode straight at me, with the baby in the pram. A well aimed kick from my hubby did deter him but still...

I am looking forward to taking my son there to practice learning to cycle but it's just not safe if these motorbikes are around.

Hi Ange and Malcolm

thanks for the comments.

Ange - the C2 part of the funding is secure and is still there, but as you can imagine £50 Mill divided by 79 projects countrywide means that each project recieved around-about £600Kto £700K each. In many cases this was insufficient to actually build what was needed (or desired) and as with many Lottery Funded Projects, the organisation in reciept of the funding has to find 'match funding'. Sadly, it was some of the match funding that Sustrans had originally found that was cut.

On your second point of mini-motorbikes - I agree these are a real nuisance. Sadly, if a path is accessible to bicycles, buggies and wheelchairs (as our paths need to be)it is also accessible to these infuriating mini-bikes. It is really a policing (and perhaps, if I can dare say it, parenting) issue rather than anything that can be done via infrastructure. Sorry.

thanks for the nominations Malcolm, the first three have already been nominated and I don't thing the Nail counts as it is an inanimate object rather than a person or living creature (the Bedlington Terrier has also been nominated).

Hope this helps

Philippa

Listen, I understand where you're all coming from, but come on this is past a joke! I don't care where the money comes from, be it Lottery, cooncil or grants from Abu Dabi the fact remains when any project reaches Bedlington,that's if Bedlington was included in the first place, Oh! By the way there's no money left, or due to cuts you're not getting what we promised.Or there's no money available for Bedlington!

Newbiggin £10 million on sand, Newbiggin Couple at sea, Don't know how much that cost (Waste of money anyway) Blyth now that's a market place, art features water features the works, that must of cost ten times as much as Bedlingtons. Blyth £10 million(Proposed) to do up shops to attract visitors. Ashington planned revamp around the bus station(AGAIN) Leisure centres in Ashington and Newbiggin, granted they are falling to bits, but I bet the money turns up to rebuild at least one of them. Now Bedlington, lets see, The Market Place, and even that's a joke! In the future when anything is planned that includes Bedlington, why not start in Bedlington, then the money can disappear when it reaches some place else, like Blyth Ashington or Newbiggin. I'm sick to death of posting the same thing over and over again, we've got to tell the county to go forth and multiply, we don't want or need you anymore we'll look after ourselves!

Edited by Merlin

In response to your post Merlin, ashington leisure centre is a dive and needs knocking down and starting afresh. I can't imagine it is an excuse to get a new leisure centre but merely the truth.

Can't say I've taken much notice of Blyth market place or how much they spent on it but to say that Bedlington's market place is a joke just because other funding is allocated elsewhere. Imagine the state the place would have been in without the regeneration. Only good things can happen and as more properties and building are becoming occupied it will change soon enough.

On that note seen two !*!@# looking young'uns taking the roof off of Elliott's at the weekend. No van outside and no safety gear. Weren't even using a hammer or dus masks. Sub-contracted for ease by the looks of things.

The cycle path not just another metro line that is getting extended? The cycle track will be used frequently I would imagine. You'd still get the pesky road race up and down the spine road though. Can't they build them a smooth path to ride on?

I would like to nominate Jimmy Millne also.

Edited by Brettly

Let me guess ... the funding needed to be matched by Northumberland County Council and they've withheld it!? I kind of guessed that would be the case. What a shame - the bridge would have opened up a lot of new circular routes.

Not sure what you mean by parenting issue Phillipa. :| As a parent who lives on a busy road without a garden I need to seek out safe places to cycle for my family. Unfortunately most weekends, in the summer months at least, the buzz bikes will make it unsafe to cycle (or walk!) along the riverside path with a small child. Obviously this will discourage families from cycling down there, thereby defeating the entire point of the route and turning it into a big white elephant.

The only (legal!) course of action I can think of is to phone the police every time I catch them down there. If we can encourage more people to cycle down there & be vigilant, plus get some more awareness of its existence, we may be able to turn it into a nice amenity. I will contact you direct to see if I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ange

All I meant by the 'parenting' issue is that most youngsters with these pesky bikes are given them by family members and it really is a parenting issue to ensure that the youngsters ride responsibly and with respect to the rules of road, footpath and cycleway as well as other users of the paths. Though many parents do take their responsibilities seriously, sadly the few that don't and the youngsters that ignore their parents make a huge problem for everyone else.

So, in the end, it is only the police who have any real power and ability to deal with the problem.

Please do get in touch directly if you want to be involved.

best wishes

Philippa

I would like to nominate Jimmy Millne also.

Hi

Can you confirm the Jimmy Millne that you refer to - is this James H Millne, an entrepreneur from Bedlington? If so, do you have any details about him and what he achieved, photographs and also whether he has family still living in Bedlington. I have not found out much from search engines, so am a bit lost on who you are referring to.

Many thanks

Philippa

• 2 months later...

The cycle route through Gallagher park is looking good - I live near the access from Station road and am so pleased that access from this end is going to be much improved and a pleasant way to walk or cycle to town. Is it going to be resurfaced all the way to the police station, does anyone know?

A few dog poo bins wouldn't go amiss, and a younger kid's play park (wishful thinking)... I hope things like this can encourage more families to use our leisure spaces. I took my kid to Dr Pit Park recently on a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon and we were the only ones there! We go to Humford woods, Hapenny woods etc. a lot and we rarely see any other families out and about. Am I the only person in this town who doen't want my kid to grow up stuck to an X box?

Ange,

It should connect all the way from Meadowdale, down past the back of the cop station, split into two with one section going up to Front Street and the other down and around Gallagher Park and out onto Station Road. Hopefully all the road crossings will be made a safe as possible. Sustrans haven't actually got this route on their web map yet.

The Parish Council at the Station is doing a lot of environmental improvements to the 'rural' walks within their boundary, go to their next meeting and ask for dog poo bins?

Thank you Malcolm. That is interesting to hear. I will try and find out more about the parish council.

A couple of years ago I saw some "community payback" people at work at the QE country park at Woodhorn; they were improving the paths and creating fishing access for disabled people. These are teams of offenders who are tasked to do "improving" work in the community - they wear a big jacket that says "Community Payback" on them ! :lol:

At the time I thought; wouldn't that be a good idea if they could do a similar project at the pit heap? They could at least pick the litter (which is grim) and improve the paths. I went as far as contacting the probation service and finding out how to submit a project. There seemed to be quite a few hoops to jump through... I am also in touch with FOGP and have written to Ian Lavery about improving amenities in Bedlington and Bedlington Station. But I was quite interested in the community payback idea as it seemed a way to improve things without having to spend council money.

I have all these good intentions and then life gets in the way! We have work, a small child and no local relatives - I would love to get more involved in community stuff but just have so little time! But if anyone would be interested to get in touch with the contacts I have please do feel free to contact me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the cycle path through Gallagher Park. The top surface went on this week and we have been out Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the little 'un on his bike - it's been great! I've been really heartened to see quite a few people using the track, families and kids with bikes, etc. One person turned to me and said "what a lovely transformation" :). It has been resurfaced all the way to the police station so is now a fantastic route to the front street from Bedlington Station. I believe they are going to put a crossing on our road as well which has pleased me no end as I have complained to the police more than once about idiots who tear along the road at 40-50 mph.

A couple of minor gripes. Friday afternoon an off-road motorbike was already being a nuisance on the new track, idiot giving small child a backie on it without helmet too :angry: . I have posted before moaning about the bikes, I know, and I guess if they have to use it I just wish it could be be later in the evening when children are not using the track. Also yesterday and today the football parents and players have been using the track as a car park and blocking it. While I appreciate there is a large part of the current car park fenced off with piles of gravel still there, the track urgently needs bollards at the gate and possibly also adjacent to the children's play area.

Now that the road leading from the police station is pothole free (unlike the rest of our roads hey?:)) the cars are coming along quite fast - again unsafe for kids and dogs - and I wondered if there are plans to put any cycle friendly speed humps on it to prevent this happening? Hopefully Phillipa will read this and advise.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just written the below today. I am really sad and angry :( :(. Thanks to that driver and family for reducing me to tears on Mothers Day. Made me think there are some really nasty people out in the world today, and sadly I was too upset to get his number plate. I doubt he reads bedlington.co.uk but there you go.

To: Local County Councillors

Northumbria Police

Sustrans

Friends of Gallagher Park

While enjoying the new cycle path through Gallagher Park in Bedlington and very much appreciating its creation, I have a serious complaint to make about the use of the path by cars on weekends when fooball teams are playing on the pitches.

The resurfacing of the track means that drivers are now able to get along there much faster than they used to.

While jogging along the path with my dog today I shouted at one driver to "slow down, slow down" That is all I said. I was scared that the driver was going to hit my dog. Unfortunately I then received a mouthful of abuse from the driver, obviously an unpleasant character who was probably most aggrieved that someone had dared to question his God-given right to drive along the cycle path in his big shiny 4WD and everyone else having to get out his way! He said he was only doing 20mph but in my opinion this is still too fast!

I then witnessed a family attempting to cycle on the path having to get out of the way for drivers as the path is not wide enough for safe passing.

Could I urge you strongly now to install speed humps on the road and 5mph/10mph hour signs along the road to deter drivers from going too fast along this road - BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!

We have been taking our son along there to learn to ride his bike - unfortunately the car traffic on the path at the weekend mean that it is too much of a hazard. This will be deterring the users it is meant to encourage - pedestrians and cyclists and making the track "out of bounds" for great chunks of the weekend. It's not been put there for the benefit of football parents!!! I will be finding out contact details for the managers of the football clubs who use the park at the weekends (if you know how I can do this I would be really grateful for any information you might have) and writing to them to urge parents to drive carefully on the track.

The disgusting litter and broken glass around the park and surrounding common lands is another issue I feel strongly about; as someone with a dog and 3 year old who would like to enjoy the green spaces it provides safely.

If FOGP want better leisure services at this site then it will need to investigate funding and development of separate access for cars. It would be a shame if such a forward-thinking initiative to improve walking and cycling access around Bedlington was hijacked by road traffic.

I look forward to hearing from you to find out what actions you plan to take to improve this situation.

Yours sincerely

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No! Just as you can't ride cycles on footpaths :whistle:

but u can drive cars on cycle path rite beside police station nd put peoples lifes at risk nd have nothing done to u!!!!!!!! discusting!!!!!!!

Can you please tell me why the gate at vulcan place leading to gallager park were the new cycle path is has not been getting locked which is now allowing the new cycle path to be used as a race track by young so n so's in their car's i had near miss with my daughters nd 2 cars last night nd i will not be using the cycle path despite living next to it nd i was over the moon about it as my parent live at the station nd would mean i could cycle with my youngest this needs sorted now!!! Before somebody gets hurt or god forbid worse

28 March at 20:37 · LikeUnlike ·

o

Northumberland County Council Faye, thanks for bringing this to our attention and apologies you had a poor experience the other night. The gate at Vulcan place should only be opened to allow access when footballers are playing in the park. I have asked the area manager to look into this for you. Thanks for the feedback. NCC.

30 March at 08:48 · LikeUnlike

Write a comment...

but u can drive cars on cycle path rite beside police station nd put peoples lifes at risk nd have nothing done to u!!!!!!!! discusting!!!!!!!

Can you please tell me why the gate at vulcan place leading to gallager park were the new cycle path is has not been getting locked which is now allowing the new cycle path to be used as a race track by young so n so's in their car's i had near miss with my daughters nd 2 cars last night nd i will not be using the cycle path despite living next to it nd i was over the moon about it as my parent live at the station nd would mean i could cycle with my youngest this needs sorted now!!! Before somebody gets hurt or god forbid worse

28 March at 20:37 · LikeUnlike ·

o

Northumberland County Council Faye, thanks for bringing this to our attention and apologies you had a poor experience the other night. The gate at Vulcan place should only be opened to allow access when footballers are playing in the park. I have asked the area manager to look into this for you. Thanks for the feedback. NCC.

30 March at 08:48 · LikeUnlike

Write a comment...

bettyboo,

So that the wider community has an opportunity to become involved in the BMX Track and the surrounding park, George Webster is holding the Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Gallagher Park at the Salvation Army Hall Bedlington.

FRIENDS OF GALLAGHER PARK AGM

Monday 9th May 6.30pm

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

This is an update on the new cycle track going through Gallagher Park. Firstly, it is good to hear that the track is making it easier for people to get to and through the park from both sides, especially for children and those with mobility issues.

It is very sad that a few drivers are making life difficult for the majority of users and Sustrans with Northumberland County Council will rectify the situation by putting 3 speed humps along the way, with a 1m gap in the middle to allow cyclists and wheelchairs/mobility scooters through and bollards on the sides so the cars can't go into the verge. There will also be signs informing of the 10mph speed limit and the existance of the humps.

I will be at the FoGP meeting on Monday 9th May if anyone would like further information about the new cycle route, especially the Gallagher Park Section.

Regards

Philippa Mitchell

Assistant Area Manager

Sustrans

Hello

This is an update on the new cycle track going through Gallagher Park. Firstly, it is good to hear that the track is making it easier for people to get to and through the park from both sides, especially for children and those with mobility issues.

It is very sad that a few drivers are making life difficult for the majority of users and Sustrans with Northumberland County Council will rectify the situation by putting 3 speed humps along the way, with a 1m gap in the middle to allow cyclists and wheelchairs/mobility scooters through and bollards on the sides so the cars can't go into the verge. There will also be signs informing of the 10mph speed limit and the existance of the humps.

I will be at the FoGP meeting on Monday 9th May if anyone would like further information about the new cycle route, especially the Gallagher Park Section.

Regards

Philippa Mitchell

Assistant Area Manager

Sustrans

Speed humps will only have an affect on those who are driving their own cars. The cars that are driven by so called "joy riders" will not slow down for the humps. These cars are nicked, the drivers of these cars could not give a monkeys chuff what gets damaged, wether it be the car , the speed hump, the bollards or the grass. More worryingly, a bike or the rider. Cars should be banned completely, unless they have a legitimate reason to be there. Permits could be issued, much the same way as tipping permits are issued. Drivers that are using the route through the park would have to produce a valid permit or face prosecution. The only sure way to make it completely safe is to ban motor vehicles completely, locking them out and having access for maintenance vehicles only.

bettyboo,

So that the wider community has an opportunity to become involved in the BMX Track and the surrounding park, George Webster is holding the Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Gallagher Park at the Salvation Army Hall Bedlington.

FRIENDS OF GALLAGHER PARK AGM

Monday 9th May 6.30pm

hiya just a quick line to say i was going to attend the meeting on monday but i went with dad to support him at his tribunal hearing and it ran longer then we expected we did not arrive home till gone 6 i then had to collect my girls from my mam and get them home and sorted for bed, please let me know about the next meeting and hopefully nothing will prevent me from attending. thanks xx

hiya just a quick line to say i was going to attend the meeting on monday but i went with dad to support him at his tribunal hearing and it ran longer then we expected we did not arrive home till gone 6 i then had to collect my girls from my mam and get them home and sorted for bed, please let me know about the next meeting and hopefully nothing will prevent me from attending. thanks xx

June 13th I think but there will be a posting nearer the time.

Drag your Dad along........

• 1 month later...

Please see the News page for information about who is going to be immortalised in steel and a meeting to start planning an event to celebrate the new cycle routes and unveil the portrait bench this autumn.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now