Youth Disorder In Bedlington

Jester

Toby,

Great response and interesting to hear from someone with a current insight into the 'youth problem'.

You raise some great points, but also miss some: while I fully understand you have - or had - 'nowhere to go' you clearly point out, conversely, that that is not the case. You have a home - granted, your parents like their privacy - and you have friends, and you have sixth form socials, which you choose not to attend. Quite why is your choice, but it does draw some questions.

I can clearly see how you're frustrated at being glowered at by old ladies; I walk down the street in my full length black leather winter coat and they glower at me, and i'm 45! You're in the majority, for the majority of 'kids' - I use the term to describe a wide range of the younger generations, and without prejudice or other - are great, enjoyable and truly lovely people: I know, I work with many occasionally, have been involved with employing youngsters, and know a great number of the local youth through friends and family.

The minority, which you rightly poin out are those who the likes of Jester has a problem with, are a true minority, and that is something we should be thankful for.

Before I conclude I would like to draw your attention to this:

"As i was growing up, if i had a centeral place where i could 'hang out' and somewhere where my parents will believe i am safe, i would have been alot more comftorable in groups my age "

The problem I have is this: when I was growing up I didn;t have anywhere sich as you describe, those that followed me didn't, those that preceded me didn't, and so on. What's changed? What is it that this generation 'need' that we didn't?

• Like 1

The problem I have is this: when I was growing up I didn;t have anywhere sich as you describe, those that followed me didn't, those that preceded me didn't, and so on. What's changed? What is it that this generation 'need' that we didn't?

we need somewhere where we can 'hang out' without being moved, shouted at for making too much noise, somewhere where we can be ourselves without having adults breathing down our necks! Most of time, its people rebelling. back when you were younger, the roads were safer so we could play football, now lunatics go speeding around. People must be alot more protective of their stuff now, like the garage situation i mentioned earlier.

I completely agree with the fact that most kids are happy, like i am, with sitting infront of a computer (even though i am overweight becuase i disnt go out and play football, because i couldnt!) but its not the answer to Jesters problem, that answer relies on providing these people a better alternative to where they are and what they are doing now!

Toby

P.S. there is only 1 social every 2 months, and its because people like those who hassle Jester go there that i dont.

"we need somewhere where we can 'hang out' without being moved,"

But you can do that outside anywhere so long as you're not causing bother! The problem is that the minority you mention DO cause bother.

"Most of time, its people rebelling."

This is wht I don't get, though - rebelling against what?

"back when you were younger, the roads were safer so we could play football, now lunatics go speeding around"

I was brought up in an area with much more traffic and a much bigger population than this as it happens, but that's beside the point.

"that answer relies on providing these people a better alternative to where they are and what they are doing now!"

Partly, yes, but it also lies partly in trying to restore the values that the older generations were imbued with. An example, and this ties in with the comments about graffitti and such in another thread: yesterday, Sunday afternoon, I watched a few youngsters on bikes on the new market place. I know they're not meant to ride there, but I wasn't complaining, they were'nt causing any bother, they were keeping out of the way and the place was dead. What struck me was this - despite hem all, four or five, sitting on these bikes right next to the new benches and bins they all proceeded to drop their crisp packets or whatever on the ground. Why? Why not put them in the bin, right next to them? Where does that attitude begin? How has it come about? Does it cost anything to use the bin? Is there some sort of social stigma attached to using a bin? It makes no sense to me whatsoever, and while to you (and Monsta) it may seem like a trivial think, it's not, because this is where the sort of breakdown in social attitude begins - with minor, simple things that to me and my kin would have seemed at odds. I was no angel, and neither were my friends, but to be frank we'd have thought someone deciding to drop rubbish on the floor when stood next to a bin a bit stupid!

The incident makes me ask this: we give those kids somewhere to go, to hang out, without being moved, whatever, and would they look after it? When they can't even be bothered to move six inches and use a bin?

"P.S. there is only 1 social every 2 months, and its because people like those who hassle Jester go there that i dont."

fair enough: i'm not getting at you personally, understand, just replying to your posts.

lol, we are skirting around the point and the answer is discipline.

i swear, if i catch any of my kids doing things like dropping litter right next to a bin, id kill the little !*!@# ...

Toby

Toby,,, your right theres no facilties in Bedlington , apart from the community centre which is just another drinking place really, I suggest you get a driving licence as soon as possible and leave,. I think this post was more concerned about the little Rat offspring who'd only pick a book up to hoi through your window

• Like 1

As a child, i found we always had somewhere to go.

The bandstand was a popular hangout in summer, close to the water, not too far from shops, and we could be as loud as we liked.

The park down humford was another place, with a short walk to the Dam. The stepping stones, i remember, have taken many a shin as we tried to jump over, missing one and reaching the third :D

The park behind the Football Club (the name of which escapes me for some reason!) is kitted out with a skate park, a 5 aside area and a load of other stuff for "!*!@# ing about on" once the younger kids had left, and i have fond memories of Charlie the parkie chatting to us for hours on end. He's still a good friend now!

Then theres the plantation, we spent hours in there, out the way. Granted thats where we ended up experementing with tabs, drink and drugs, once we got older, but it still had a few years of honest fun making camps and stuff.

Just beside that is the Pit Heaps with the football pitches at the bottom, but the 2 paths to the top were the most fun, on bikes in summer and sledges in the winter. (or rainy days, if the ground was wet enough!) I still have a scar from my first attempt at "the back path" (leading to Barrington Road) on a BMX with no brakes :blink::unsure:

Rolling on, we have the ample areas of West Lea pitches and park, as well as the graveyard trees (although we did get chased from there quite often, why i'm not sure.)

Then, my favorite haunt (coz i lived there!) was Red House Farm back field. The goal posts didn't match up, and the pitch was on a 45 degree angle, but it was ours, and out the way. the bushes at the bottom made great hides and camps, and filled with rainwater around this time of year. Frogspawn Galore!!

We also got together with other groups of kids, and creating a mini football league. i remember playing against kids from West Lea (although we joined forces in the end, coz we both kept getting beat!) Northumberland Ave lot, the chesters, and even a team from beatty road way once over :blink:

I've forgotten more games than i see played now too, my favourites including Kerbsie, British Bulldogs and Hide and Seak. I never see these played now.

Those that couldnt afford a football got carrier bags, stuffed them with newspaper and tied the handles for a makeshift rugby ball.

Mind, even with all that, we still winged we had nothing to do, and nowhere to go!:rolleyes:

Just wondering if anybody else has had enough of the youth disorder in the Bedlington Area?

I'm in the Meadowdale Farm area of the town and over the last 2 years had nothing but problems with youths aged 12-16 constantly banging on the door, kicking the panels of the garge in and then standing on the corner of the street "egging" us on with insults and threatening to burn the house down. When chased they disappear across the spare ground behind Featherstone Grove onto the back path that passes Meadowdale Middle School and usually make their escape to join the crowds milling around outside Moby's fish and chip shop for protection and to hide.

Some may say it's just a case of "Knocky-Door-Ginger" and ignore it but after 1 year of trying to deal with it ourselves followed by 1 year of getting the police involved (called 6 times during the last 8 months alone) we've just about had enough!

Friday 30th October was the latest incident. Garage door panel kicked in, door bell hammered and ran off again. This resulted in my 5yr old crying and upset once more and the police arriving too late to catch them.

A house in the next close was targeted(they have also been having the same problems) and their car had been vandalised.

When confornting the youths outside Moby's about it within 30 mins of it happening(the incident took place at approx 9:15pm) they said a group had passed them and told them all they were going to wreck cars and have a chase and deliberately went down that "back path" towards our estate.

Without going into great detail here, the running theme seems to be that they all go to St.Benet Biscops school and there seems to be something going on that crosses a few of the years(years 9,10 and 11) and they see it as fun to deliberately target certain houses to get a reaction!!....well they do....it's got my 5yr old frightened to go to bed now incase the "bad boys" come back.

I'm certainly not saying that it's all those kids that go to that particular school of course but it's just that everytime i ask those kids who have seen them run off...they say they are from that school and in those years but can't give their names/nicknames..obviously scared of comeback.

Police involved but as we all know they have limited effect.

St.Benet Biscops say it's out of school hours...not their problem.

Have tried ignoring them so they get bored and give up....hasn't worked!

Been warned off dealing with it myself by the police as i'll get into trouble.

Can't afford to move, so we can't even give them their moment of triumph!

Whats next eh?

Totally at a loss what to do and now me, my wife and family are just wondering when it's going to kick off again!

In the meantime, i'll continue to pass the large groups hanging around and continue to wonder if it's them. They know my address, make of car and me by sight now....there's no way to try and catch them!

I know what i'd love to do to them if i do manage to get them...but can't say on this public forum.....i'm sure you understand.. ;)

Usually the trouble happens when the schools break up for holiday or any weekend night. I've even had to cancel 70th birthday drinks for my own father on a night out to respond to a call from my wife who had ignored a few problems that evening before eventually calling me.

Anybody got any idea's before it escalates even further?

Help appreciated before i call in a few favours and get into trouble myself.

PS- Just for the record, to my knowledge we haven't "crossed" anybody in anyway whatsoever!

sorry for your troubles jester.. i have read your post and evry reply that followed..after lots of thought and wondering how i may be able to help i have come to the conclusion that you are up !*!@# creek mate.

if i were over there i would drop by and we could have a chat and maybe crack some heads in the process.

things in ireland are handeld the old ways and seem to work the best. i have always tried to live a honest and peaceful life. tried to stay away from trouble and for years this has been good for my karma. i still try to always be good...as i was taught by good parents. i was a right tramp in my young days and probably no diferent to the kids giving you the hassle. no diferent at all. kids have to grow up some kids take longer than others. from my own personal exp i can pinpoint the exact moment of change.

we have all heard the story of " they are all hard when they are in a gang "..get them their own.. ect ect.. and we all know this to be true. well heres a true story for you..last year i was having similar probs..wont go into to much detail as its getting late but the jist is that after loads of hassle, little help from the law i bought a baseball bat from argos (13 euro ) and beat the living !*!@# of the worst offender all the way down the street. in front of all the neighbours and made sure the whole village got wind of it. hammered him to !*!@# and left him in the gutter. went home and waited for the law..waited for two days and still no cops. the whole place was buzzing.. i felt great..massive adrenaline rush. now no one fecks with me..not even the cops. been here for twenty years and seen the troubles come and go....listen jester..cracking heads is bad for your karma but good for your soul..(was for me anyways ) however if a peacefull solution could be found it would be better for all concerned.....fact of the matter is ..lets say..your 45 years old. you might have twenty good years left..too much stress will give you a heart attack..too young for that..dont waste any more time..just do what you would like to do and deal with the concenquences later.. trust me jester..what feels good is right..just go for it.. .. and i mean that most sincereley..wonky.

• Like 1

Just a quick thanks for the comments from you all on this thread!

I believe there has been a few talks at Benny's by the police and "usual suspects" talked to since i originally posted, so it's been fairly quiet around here. The weather has probably got something to do with keeping the scum indoors! :D

Fingers crossed folks and in the meantime, i'm going to enjoy the peace while it lasts! It's going to be a busy time leading up to Xmas for me, so if i don't get the chance before hand, i'd like to thank you and wish you all a Merry Xmas !!!

Enjoy!!

Ok i'll admit now i've not read 100% of this topic, only up to Toby's second post.

But anyways, I'd just like to say, that when i was younger, i was quite the opposite of you Toby. I say younger, i mean when i was 15 - 18.

I had loads of mates, i was always hanging about the streets, and i will admit i used to knock about with some troublemakers. I went to all the 6th Form Socials, I organised them back in 6th Form. I was drinking before i was 18. I was rarely in the house, even though i did have a playstation/internet or whatever. The one thing i did have, was respect for other people.

...I've never done anything like harrassing or taunting people, i've certainly NEVER done anything like Jester is describing, i personally think it's absolutely disgusting. I'm not a 'somebody' but i do look down my nose at scum like that. I actually caused quite an uproar on the bus not so long ago when some youths were firing spitballs across the bus, which resulted in me telling them to grow up (only being 20 myself) and another elderly man telling them they were 'the scum of the earth', in which i strongly agreed. They were really upsetting some elderly passengers and i was just filling with anger.

I had no where to hang about, nothing to do but wander round with a group of mates, sit at the doctors, or down the front street...but i never resorted to all of this.

What i'm trying to say is that i don't think it's about not having anywhere to go. It's about how they're brought up, what principles they live by, not being taught to respect others, not being taught to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. If someone is brought up to belive that doing this sort of thing is 'funny'...then...that's what they're going to do. I had one hell of an upbringing, i was taught right from wrong, i was punished for my actions, but i was also taught to think for myself and learn from mistakes.

I really do hope you get this sorted Jester! There's just no call for it.

Well said that girl!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that's it.....going to rip their !*!@# heads off now if i get hold of them !!!!

Even got a name this time!

Anybody else up for a bit of scum bashing?

hi jester, guess theyre at it again from the tone of your post, it is infuriating i am also guessing. you say you have a name now. this reminds me of another occasion where i had to deal with a simmilar problem.

i went round to the said offenders house and said to his father..blah blah your young fella, giving us grief ect. ect and i would not be hitting him. i will be coming round here and be hitting you. (the father ) so get it sorted. this worked as the father did not want simmilar trouble on his doorstep. had there been any more trouble i would have went around again and kicked him in the !*!@# ..i gave this man the option to sort things out and he saw sense. sadly some parents are not able to see sense and just want the kids out the house so they can have some peace..with little care for who else they might be bothering..thats like pissing in the wind then !!

i am coming over in a few weeks for a visit ,,shall i bring my bat ? you can put me on speed dial and i can just casually walk down the street and lay the feckers out. seriously crack some heads open. knock all their teeth out too.

listen mate...no one wants this sort of grief belive me..and i can garuntee you that what ever hassle you are having is absolutley nothing to the crap that we have endured as brits living in ireland. for twenty years it has been like beruit here. i wont go into it full scale at the moment but living in a place where terrorisim is an evry day occurance you just get used to it.

some times i forget i am a geordie and somtimes so do the irish..these are the good days.

when i left england all those years ago ...you could say i was a bit of a hippy..i was definatly chilled out and knew i was going places. the years have mellowed me out yet i still hear the dark voices from time to time.

all this love and peace thing that folks are talking about....well..i am a true beliver in all that...however...in saying that..i love fighting too and the rush it gives me is better than any drugs i may have took in the eighties.

asking for help via a chat fourum might not be the best way to sort out this problem for obvious reasons.

some people would not like to comitt themselves for obvious legal reasons. this leaves you in a pickle. like i said earlier...i feel for you..sincerley.

want to get some people to sort this out for you ? ...you will always be the man who got someone to sort it out and never the man who sorted his problems himself.

want me to sort it out for you....it will be me that is the hero in your wifes eyes and that might make you feel inadaquate..

and belive me jester...i am a hero.

send me a number if you are really stuck and i will give you a call back...all the best...wonky

Hi Wonky!

Cheers mate but it's just me venting a bit anger here!(thanks for the offer though! :D )

Thought it might have gone a bit quiet because of the bad weather but it all kicked off again on New Years Day and last night too.

New Years Day (approx 6:45pm)

Spent a wonderful afternoon with the kids building a snowman on the front garden for my 3yr old daughter to discover the head had been knocked off at 6:45. Went out and put it back on to stop her crying(and believe me, she can certainly cry!). Told her to look out the window to see it up again, only to see 4 kids(approx 13-16yrs) running away from the house and seeing the snowman totally over this time....obviously had fun watching me from somewhere! May sound a bit trivial to some but as far as i'm concerned, they had upset my 3yr old, trespassed on my property and totally pissed me off again!

Called the kids over. 2 ran off straight away, 2 came over to my door. The 2 who came back said it was their mates and they, themselves were not happy with what they had done. I got them to take me around to their mates house but on the way, one of them received a txt saying "don't take him around to my house"....they were watching us as usual from the waste ground in the Meadowdale Farm estate...the usual escape route! I told him to call them and if they came back i wouldn't call the police.

They did, i marched them back to the house and made them put the snowman back up. At this point i took their names and address's. When i asked the taller one of the two(15-16yrs) why?...he started laughing and said he was bored! He then decided to have a good look into the hallway of the house before "eyeballing" me inches from my face!

Told him to back off, he wouldn't. As we were on my doorstep by now, i pushed him away from me and told him to take a good shot as it would be his only one. He stared at at me for few moments before his nerve went and turned away. The 2 lads who called them back made him apologise (they seemed sincere all the time), he apologised half-heartedly and walked away.

10 mins later...snowball at the front window!

No police called as it would have been a bit silly talking about a snowmans head being knocked off!....but yet more aggro!

2nd Jan

Wife putting the kids to bed upstairs so i went to lock the front door for the night, only to see 4-6 kids with dark hoodies on my front drive. Startled, they ran off.....i had just caught them before they had got at the door!

I'd just wish i had been a few seconds later and got them at the door...so close! :angry:

Called the Police this time and went looking for the shits.

Waved the Police down when i was out and told them what had been going on again (been told to log all trouble). Gave her the 2 names and addresses i had. She went round and both of them said they hadn't been out, which their parents verified.

The tallest of the 2 (15yrs but still about 5ft 8")from what the Police officer told me) had told his parents i had pushed him the night previously...obviously trying to get me in trouble. The Officer said as he was on my doorstep, using threatening behaviour, she didn't have a problem with that! HA

When she explained to the parents i had been having trouble for 2 years now, they didn't seem to be bothered in the least, she said. What did come up in the discussion, is that he said, it had not been him all the time...he had only been round a couple of times !!!...At last, finally found one of the scumbags and he admitted giving me grief in the past too!

Pity he's only 15 eh?

There are now a lot of thoughts running through my head what to do with the info i've got. For now, i'll leave it with the Police. I'm not saying he's the only one involved and there are obviously groups not connected with him but i'd like a little payback sometime....i'll wait!

One thing is for sure! I'll be contacting the school again (see earlier posts!)and naming him (they asked me too), demanding a meeting with the Police Inspector, who simply dismissed me over the phone last time and addressing the situation in the local press (NPL etc).

You know something....we have never bothered anybody at all, always kept ourselves to ourselves. I've more or less always lived in Bedlington. Born here, brought up here, so why do i have to put up with all this !*!@#?

This is the last effort i'm going to make before i loose it all together. I've simply had enough! If i could afford it, i'd move my family away for good. If this continues, i'll get into trouble....for those of you saying don't!...believe me, the shear frustration and anger i'm feeling at my family getting grief off these shits is too overwhelming to consider anything else!

Sorry about the doom and gloom at the start of 2010 guys! Maybe this forum is still my kind of therapy! ;)

Edited by Jester

no worries here,,keep ahad and all the best for the new year.the offer still stands jester.

Hi Wonky!

Cheers mate but it's just me venting a bit anger here!(thanks for the offer though! :D )

Thought it might have gone a bit quiet because of the bad weather but it all kicked off again on New Years Day and last night too.

New Years Day (approx 6:45pm)

Spent a wonderful afternoon with the kids building a snowman on the front garden for my 3yr old daughter to discover the head had been knocked off at 6:45. Went out and put it back on to stop her crying(and believe me, she can certainly cry!). Told her to look out the window to see it up again, only to see 4 kids(approx 13-16yrs) running away from the house and seeing the snowman totally over this time....obviously had fun watching me from somewhere! May sound a bit trivial to some but as far as i'm concerned, they had upset my 3yr old, trespassed on my property and totally pissed me off again!

Called the kids over. 2 ran off straight away, 2 came over to my door. The 2 who came back said it was their mates and they, themselves were not happy with what they had done. I got them to take me around to their mates house but on the way, one of them received a txt saying "don't take him around to my house"....they were watching us as usual from the waste ground in the Meadowdale Farm estate...the usual escape route! I told him to call them and if they came back i wouldn't call the police.

They did, i marched them back to the house and made them put the snowman back up. At this point i took their names and address's. When i asked the taller one of the two(15-16yrs) why?...he started laughing and said he was bored! He then decided to have a good look into the hallway of the house before "eyeballing" me inches from my face!

Told him to back off, he wouldn't. As we were on my doorstep by now, i pushed him away from me and told him to take a good shot as it would be his only one. He stared at at me for few moments before his nerve went and turned away. The 2 lads who called them back made him apologise (they seemed sincere all the time), he apologised half-heartedly and walked away.

10 mins later...snowball at the front window!

No police called as it would have been a bit silly talking about a snowmans head being knocked off!....but yet more aggro!

2nd Jan

Wife putting the kids to bed upstairs so i went to lock the front door for the night, only to see 4-6 kids with dark hoodies on my front drive. Startled, they ran off.....i had just caught them before they had got at the door!

I'd just wish i had been a few seconds later and got them at the door...so close! :angry:

Called the Police this time and went looking for the shits.

Waved the Police down when i was out and told them what had been going on again (been told to log all trouble). Gave her the 2 names and addresses i had. She went round and both of them said they hadn't been out, which their parents verified.

The tallest of the 2 (15yrs but still about 5ft 8")from what the Police officer told me) had told his parents i had pushed him the night previously...obviously trying to get me in trouble. The Officer said as he was on my doorstep, using threatening behaviour, she didn't have a problem with that! HA

When she explained to the parents i had been having trouble for 2 years now, they didn't seem to be bothered in the least, she said. What did come up in the discussion, is that he said, it had not been him all the time...he had only been round a couple of times !!!...At last, finally found one of the scumbags and he admitted giving me grief in the past too!

Pity he's only 15 eh?

There are now a lot of thoughts running through my head what to do with the info i've got. For now, i'll leave it with the Police. I'm not saying he's the only one involved and there are obviously groups not connected with him but i'd like a little payback sometime....i'll wait!

One thing is for sure! I'll be contacting the school again (see earlier posts!)and naming him (they asked me too), demanding a meeting with the Police Inspector, who simply dismissed me over the phone last time and addressing the situation in the local press (NPL etc).

You know something....we have never bothered anybody at all, always kept ourselves to ourselves. I've more or less always lived in Bedlington. Born here, brought up here, so why do i have to put up with all this !*!@#?

This is the last effort i'm going to make before i loose it all together. I've simply had enough! If i could afford it, i'd move my family away for good. If this continues, i'll get into trouble....for those of you saying don't!...believe me, the shear frustration and anger i'm feeling at my family getting grief off these shits is too overwhelming to consider anything else!

Sorry about the doom and gloom at the start of 2010 guys! Maybe this forum is still my kind of therapy! ;)

Jester, just keep reporting to the police no matter how trivial an incident seems at the time.

Every time you report an incident to the police they will have to log it and this will gradually push up crime statistics for your area – which is the last thing the police want.

• Like 2

I completely agree with Blank

I am tired of hearing people say ' whats the use reporting it to the police? they won't catch 'em/do anything' blah blah

If everything gets reported it pushes up the stats for the area which in turn leads to more police officers assigned to us. They dont like unresolved crimes, it looks bad for them.

A few years ago someone tried to hit my bank account and spend it gambling on the internet. When i tried to report it to the police they refused to accept the report stating 'there's no evidence the crime was committed in this area'. very caring!!! It seemed to me that they would only accept reports of crimes that they might have a small chance of resolving otherwise their reported crimes/resolved crimes stat goes up the swanny.

All crimes should be reported otherwise we end up being fed worthless information that crime is actually falling!

With a future general election looming watch out for the stats that say everything in the garden is rosy.........

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now