Parking Charges

Andy Millne

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see parking charges introduced in Bedlington?

• Yes
    • No
    • It wouldn't bother me either way

This poll is closed to new votes

According to todays papers all supermarket parking is to be taxed at £600 per bay per year! Reports are, that this will cost us £2 to park when we go shopping at Tesco,Netto etc etc.

If this is the case I'm sure I can find somewhere else to park, like on the grass opposite netto's and the grass is looking tempting at Tesco's car park as well.

And another thought Perry will probably be the next millionaire in Bedlington what with all the clamping that will come his way........How much is a wheel clamp by the way? :lol:

• Like 1

You are right as usual! Maybe not every supermarket,but I can't see them being taxed £600 per bay without passing, at least some of the cost,on to the consumer!

27 September 2009

£2 to park at supermarkets

Nigel Nelson

Supermarket shoppers will soon face a £2 charge each time they park, Tories claimed yesterday.

They said small print in new legislation could see stores levelling the fee as early as December.

New laws give local authorities power to tax parking at supermarkets - currently free - in the same way they charge for multi-storey car parks.

That means stores could face business rates of nearly £600 on each space in their car parks - an expense Tories fear they will pass on to customers.

Shadow Communities Secretary Caroline Spelman said: "I fear struggling families will be punished with new taxes as they shop. It's just another excuse to fill the black hole in the public finances."

The Tories claim to have seen documents which show local authorities want to penalise out-of-town shopping malls to get people back into high streets.

On the face of it looks just another scare story but take into account this is how government legislation is introduced these days, give someone a non attributable leak and let them run the story then assess public reaction, it may well have some truth in it. I find it incredibly banal to say on one hand that this will enhance high streets while all the time looking at ways to cover all parking places with taxes and we have just witnessed the fiasco in Wansbeck with the county now saying they had no intention of introducing parking charges through out. Government nationally and locally must be ecstatic at the thought of getting into a new stream of motor based taxes and hiding behind some whishy washy 'green' argument to do it.

I think anything which will raise income for gov will be given serious attention as they try to address the debt mountain the county has now.

Sorry to disappoint you Neil but these charges are to apply to every supermarket in the country!

you not mean county?

and crammy will still be free!

eurocarparks has the lease on that! :D

You are right as usual! Maybe not every supermarket,but I can't see them being taxed £600 per bay without passing, at least some of the cost,on to the consumer!

27 September 2009

£2 to park at supermarkets

Nigel Nelson

Supermarket shoppers will soon face a £2 charge each time they park, Tories claimed yesterday.

They said small print in new legislation could see stores levelling the fee as early as December.

New laws give local authorities power to tax parking at supermarkets - currently free - in the same way they charge for multi-storey car parks.

That means stores could face business rates of nearly £600 on each space in their car parks - an expense Tories fear they will pass on to customers.

Shadow Communities Secretary Caroline Spelman said: "I fear struggling families will be punished with new taxes as they shop. It's just another excuse to fill the black hole in the public finances."

The Tories claim to have seen documents which show local authorities want to penalise out-of-town shopping malls to get people back into high streets.

£2 thats double the price of newcastle city centre! sure it will be 50p an hour like most other places!

Reading between the lines this is a tax on the supermarket per parking space. I very much doubt supermarkets will introduce direct charging as it would involve extra expense in converting existing car parks and installing meters/barriers. If it did come into force I'd expect it to end up on your shopping bill through increased product prices.

Do you want to see parking charges introduced in Bedlington?

If it ment the money was going to be spent to make Bedlington better, then Yes.

If you live in Bedlington you can just walk to the Shops instead of parking so you wont have to pay. :D

Pete,

I am surprised they are still running with the guy but then if it is a choice between him and Lord Voldemort I suppose there is only one on!

Lord Voldemort, I had to google that one Malcolm not being a Harry Potter watcher or is there a political connection or just a faceless Labour party :D

Pete,

Lord V is a press hack nickname for Lord Hartlepool, AKA Mandleson. You know the guy he is one of a handfull of unelected poeple now sitting in cabinet running the country!

mandleson he will be the next prime minister if labour get re-elected! :blink:

Pete,

Lord V is a press hack nickname for Lord Hartlepool, AKA Mandleson. You know the guy he is one of a handfull of unelected poeple now sitting in cabinet running the country!

Sorry Malcolm, anything passed the Journal online and I am lost, I was not even aware that he had a title.

Unelected, now there's a thought, who elected Gordon as Prime minister? :D

Sorry Malcolm, anything passed the Journal online and I am lost, I was not even aware that he had a title.

Unelected, now there's a thought, who elected Gordon as Prime minister? :D

I may not be the guy's greatest fan but at least he did stand in an election to get voted in as an MP and therefore eligible for their highest status. This other shower have been parachuted in without a vote being cast. This is not the way our democracy is supposed to work!

• Like 2

I may not be the guy's greatest fan but at least he did stand in an election to get voted in as an MP and therefore eligible for their highest status. This other shower have been parachuted in without a vote being cast. This is not the way our democracy is supposed to work!

it was the same with john major, he took over primeminister from thatcher the old hag!

in a way he was voted in, the people vote for the party not the leader and if there in power theres nowt you can do about it!

could be worse it could of been mandelson or darling! :o scary!

• Like 1

True Malcolm, but with todays media coverage you do not see much of the person who is your local representative, on the other hand you do see a lot of the party leader and he was not the party leader I voted for. needless to say I will never vote Labour again.

anyway any news on the parking charges?

Edited by Pete

it was the same with john major, he took over primeminister from thatcher the old hag!

in a way he was voted in, the people vote for the party not the leader and if there in power theres nowt you can do about it!

could be worse it could of been mandelson or darling! :o scary!

Yes, but did he not fight a general election as the leader of the Conservative party and win it, mandelson, that sends cold shivers down my spine.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now