Historic Letters From Bedlington To New Zealand

Andy Millne

I have attached copies and a transcript of some historic letters sent from Bedlington in the 1840's courtesy of Janet Kelly in New Zealand.

Anybody have the replies in their loft? :P

Douglas Dixon Letters copies of originals part one.pdf

Douglas Dixon Letters copies of originals part 2.pdf

Douglas Dixon Letters transcripts.pdf

• Like 1

I don't know about you but i've just spent a good part of the last hour reading these and consider them a truly fascinating insight into the age; they deserve some publicity, and thanks to the owner for allowing their publication.

One thing I want to know - and if anyone can help me I would be thankful - is the writer talks of building a Chapel (he was a member of the very new Free Church of Scotland) - where was it, or is it?

• Like 1

the writer talks of building a Chapel (he was a member of the very new Free Church of Scotland) - where was it, or is it?

I'm trying to get in touch with David Cowans of the Local History Society so if I manage to find him I'll put that question to him. I'm hoping that maybe somebody from the history society would be interested in running the history hollow forum.

My Mam,s maiden name was Dixon and My Grandfather and GreatGrandfather on her side were both Alexanders and I do have relatives in New Zealand, maybe just coincidence???? it was very interesting to read the transcripts and get such a great insight into daily life in the 1840,s in Bedlington, especially as the Railroad was just beginning. Thank you

The church I beleive became what was in the 60,s the "Dall Memorial Presberterian Church of England" up on the left towards the top end.............

Micky, Thanks, and I had originally thought that. However, the letters clearly state the Chapel would be opening in 1845; the Church you mention has a date stone standing to the left of the door that is dated in the 1870's, hence my confusion.

Micky, Thanks, and I had originally thought that. However, the letters clearly state the Chapel would be opening in 1845; the Church you mention has a date stone standing to the left of the door that is dated in the 1870's, hence my confusion.

The only chapel i knew of in Bedlington was the one in Westlea cemetery?

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=359

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now