Barrington School

Pete

Does anyone know when they closed Barrington School and what stands there now?

I was a pupil at Barrington school in the early fifties we used to walk through the Old pit to get to school, I remember there used to be a rubish tip next to it and I believe the brick yard was still there.

I was a pupil at Barrington school in the early fifties we used to walk through the Old pit to get to school, I remember there used to be a rubish tip next to it and I believe the brick yard was still there.

Photos coming in a day or three. Just been trying out latest camera smartphone today, and results are really impressive for a tiddler that doesn't pretend to be a real camera.

Only prob is I can't think exactly where the school was, though I've certainly been in the building at some point. Thinks... Bedlington Glove Company (gone bust) perhaps?

Barrington Brick Co. is gone; I can easily remember the chimneys, but pinpointing the precise location now could be a tad difficult. We'll see what can be done, and what remains.

Photos coming in a day or three. Just been trying out latest camera smartphone today, and results are really impressive for a tiddler that doesn't pretend to be a real camera.

Only prob is I can't think exactly where the school was, though I've certainly been in the building at some point. Thinks... Bedlington Glove Company (gone bust) perhaps?

Barrington Brick Co. is gone; I can easily remember the chimneys, but pinpointing the precise location now could be a tad difficult. We'll see what can be done, and what remains.

I have got some photos will get them scanned and upload, they dont show much of the school as they are class photos

If you follow the railway track from the station heading to Ashington the track splits just after the station, there used to be a set of gates near where the track split this was the begining of the pit rows, the the school was about 4/500 yards further on, on the right. Not very good directions sorry.

:D

Does Red Row still exist?

Does Red Row still exist?

Yes, I walked through it yesterday. And guess what? They're builing a mini housing estate for posh folks! :lol:

This is - of course - is exactly what Bedlington needs; yet another housing estate for people who only sleep here, and don't give a damn about anything local ...unless it impacts their property values!

Took some pix with the new phone, but will have to shrink them a bit before uploading.

Yes, I walked through it yesterday. And guess what? They're builing a mini housing estate for posh folks! :lol:

This is - of course - is exactly what Bedlington needs; yet another housing estate for people who only sleep here, and don't give a damn about anything local ...unless it impacts their property values!

Took some pix with the new phone, but will have to shrink them a bit before uploading.

As I recall Red Row only had one street probably no more than 4 to 5 houses. If you look at Red Row from the main road just to the left used to be a rubish tip full of all kinds of nasty things including dead dogs and rats. Probably all leveled and covered over now, is that where there building these houses?

As for people buying houses just to sleep in them, I heard the same thing happend in Wooler.

...is that where there building these houses?

As for people buying houses just to sleep in them, I heard the same thing happend in Wooler.

Over the "Welwyn" road bridge and onward towards Bomarsund. Actually, come to think of it, there's probably more than one builder active there at the moment; they're building on both sides of the road.

They look quite pricey, but then again even a well built pidgeon cree would cost these days. Well, they do - they just call them starter homes! :D

Wooler has the important advantage of not being a less than 15 minutes car trip from the Metro Center.

Over the "Welwyn" road bridge and onward towards Bomarsund. Actually, come to think of it, there's probably more than one builder active there at the moment; they're building on both sides of the road.

They look quite pricey, but then again even a well built pidgeon cree would cost these days. Well, they do - they just call them starter homes! :D

Wooler has the important advantage of not being a less than 15 minutes car trip from the Metro Center.

Must be a fast car Threegee or has its geographical location changed? or have I misinterpreded what you are saying?

To the left of the Welwyn road bridge is where the tip used to be.

Must be a fast car Threegee or has its geographical location changed? or have I misinterpreded what you are saying?

To the left of the Welwyn road bridge is where the tip used to be.

Here: www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=55.1477&lon=-1.573&scale=10000&icon=x

They are building on both sides of the road.

If you can put a red circle on it then I can get you the current photos. :)

Here: www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=55.1477&lon=-1.573&scale=10000&icon=x

They are building on both sides of the road.

If you can put a red circle on it then I can get you the current photos. :)

Sorry Threegee the map looks some what different from what I remember but perhaps this will help.

At least thats how I remember it.

barrington_school.doc

The school, I believe stood on the site of what is now Binks(?) haulage, although there seem to be other operations within the buildings.

Many of the 'posh' houses being built at Red Row are on the land previously occupied by Taits scrapyard. The others are on the site used by Thorntons, who have had workshops on both sides of the road.

The school, I believe stood on the site of what is now Binks(?) haulage, although there seem to be other operations within the buildings.

Many of the 'posh' houses being built at Red Row are on the land previously occupied by Taits scrapyard. The others are on the site used by Thorntons, who have had workshops on both sides of the road.

Thanks Swalnalla, was the scrapyard on the right of the road going out of the station near the garage or am I getting confused?

To the right of the school and to the right of the tip there used to be a large area that was full of small pools of water, these pools used to be full of newts, toads and frogs. When we where kids we used to catch the newts and keep them in an old tin bath tub in the garden, of course I am going back nearly 50 years and this would not be allowed today as I believe newts are a protected specices.

There where loads of small hills there as well great for riding your bike around, pity the BMX hadent been invented.

Perhaps one day Back to the Future might be a reallity.

• 3 years later...

Thanks Swalnalla, was the scrapyard on the right of the road going out of the station near the garage or am I getting confused?

To the right of the school and to the right of the tip there used to be a large area that was full of small pools of water, these pools used to be full of newts, toads and frogs. When we where kids we used to catch the newts and keep them in an old tin bath tub in the garden, of course I am going back nearly 50 years and this would not be allowed today as I believe newts are a protected specices.

There where loads of small hills there as well great for riding your bike around, pity the BMX hadent been invented.

Perhaps one day Back to the Future might be a reallity.

Hi the school was were the binks yard is now ,the pools you refer to were directly behind what is now the industrial estate and this was the quarry for brick yard at barrington and also the one at bedlington.

the scrap yard Taits was on the left of the road 500 yards over the welwyn bridge going to stakeford this was the site of the old tip.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Once again this new member dragging old topics back. Just to confirm the exact position of Barrington County Primary using Google Street View:-

post-3031-0-05525200-1369661454_thumb.pnpost-3031-0-11086100-1369661502_thumb.pn

Coming from Bedlington Station, through the pit and onto the Barrington Road the school was just before the house/shop (that I think I have read about in History Hollow but can't recall, the name) where R Watson's Haulage & Storage site was when Google Street view passed in 2009. I have not been able to find a photo of the school, other than class photos, just this painting:-

post-3031-0-20527100-1369661920_thumb.pn

If you went straight past the school gates the track took you to 'The Clay Hole Pond' where the Class 6 pupils, under the guidance of Mr. Hunt, conducted Nature Studies once a week. Collecting into jam jars, for study in the Classs 6 large fish tank, were frog's spawn, frogs, newts (plain and crested), water boatmen etc. etc. If you did well in this class outing and recording back in class you got to attend Humford Baths for the weekly swimming lesson. I must be wrong but I can't remember ever getting a bus to Humford, Probably because we always walked from Coquetdale Place, with our 3d for 8 hours entrance money, to the baths.

Any way, if you carried on past the clay hole you came to Red Row, where one of the lads from class 6 lived, can't remember his name. Just that when we went to his house, on a weekend, to use the fibre glass boat that had been dumped in the pond, this lad's mam always made us chips and put them in a news paper cone so we could go straight back out and clart about.

As far as I can remember the Brick Works was approximately where there is a roundabout now, going back towards Bedlington Station, before Charlton's Removals (now closed). We were told the Brickworks used to get their clay from the area next to the school, hence the clay hole. I see the road off the roundabout is called 'Red Row Drive'.

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now