Dr John Brown

ian brown

Hello everyone on the Bedlington Forum...

My name is Ian Brown, 27 years old from London.

I am searching for any information on my Grandad, Dr John Brown. He died in Bedlington in February 1996, three months after my Grandmother Eileen Brown in November 1995.

From what I know and have been able to find out is that as well as being a Doctor in Bedlington he also had a great interest in the cricket club in the town.

I am also trying to find out where he is buried. I believe he is buried along with my Grandmother in one of the church cemeteries of Bedlington but as to which one I am unsure.

I have very fond memories of both my Grandparents but due to circumstances at the time was never able to pay my respects at either funeral. So, if anyone as any information on Dr. Brown or where he might be buried I would be most grateful.

At some point I would like to visit where they are buried, lay some flowers and tell them that I love them, miss them and still think about the wonderful times they gave me.

Many thanks for any information and any help that you may be able to give.

Ian.

• Like 1

Hello Ian!

I've met you and your mum, but you won't remember me. Anyway, I know your dad very well, and attended your grandfather's funeral at St Cuthbert's Church, along with many other citizens of the Town. There was a big turnout on that day and our largest church (C of E) wasn't anything like big enough. Though, your grandfather supported the Church of Scotland - Presbyterian church nearer the West end of town.

That turnout was because your grandfather was one of the most respected citizens of the town in history. He worked tirelessly for the place over many decades, often at the cost of his own health. In prior generations public memorials were erected to such people, and we already have one such for the Victorian Dr Trotter. I've long felt that the town could have done more to recognise its indebtedness to Doctor Brown, and I'm sure that there are many other people even older than me who feel similarly. We've had many many doctors, but only one deserves to be so recognised.

I will PM you the other information unless someone beats me to it - often the case here! smile.gif

Great to have you as a member, and also to see you are so interested in your roots.

• Like 1

Hello Threegee

Nice to meet you... (again !)

Thank you so much for the information about my Grandad. I have been searching for a while on the internet and even asking family friends as to where he is buried but all were unsure of the exact location.

I have many fond, great memories of him and from what I remember he was a well liked man around the town. He used to take me with him to get his tobacco from the local shop and it would take well over an hour due to the number of people coming over to say hello and to have a chat. He was great.

Now that I know where he is I will come to Bedlington, pay my respects to him and tell him that everything is good with Ian.

So thank you again for the information, it is really appreciated, and thank you for the kind words you said about him in your post they really mean a lot to me.

All the best

Ian

Edited by ian brown

Hi Ian, like 3g, I also have met you, and your mum several times. If I can find them, as we have since moved house, I have some photos of you taken at our house in Bedlington as a baby with your mum and maternal grandmother. PM me if you would like any more information.

And yes, your grandfather was a wonderful man. He always had time to stop and speak to everyone, whatever age, and was always good to our two children.

• Like 2

Hello everyone on the Bedlington Forum...

My name is Ian Brown, 27 years old from London.

I am searching for any information on my Grandad, Dr John Brown. He died in Bedlington in February 1996, three months after my Grandmother Eileen Brown in November 1995.

From what I know and have been able to find out is that as well as being a Doctor in Bedlington he also had a great interest in the cricket club in the town.

I am also trying to find out where he is buried. I believe he is buried along with my Grandmother in one of the church cemeteries of Bedlington but as to which one I am unsure.

I have very fond memories of both my Grandparents but due to circumstances at the time was never able to pay my respects at either funeral. So, if anyone as any information on Dr. Brown or where he might be buried I would be most grateful.

At some point I would like to visit where they are buried, lay some flowers and tell them that I love them, miss them and still think about the wonderful times they gave me.

Many thanks for any information and any help that you may be able to give.

Ian.

Hello Ian

My parents were great friends of your grandparents, John and Eileen Brown. Indeed, Eileen was my godmother and remained firm friends with my mother until her death. You don't say who your father was but I suspect he is my childhood friend and was godfather to my oldest son. We lost touch and it would be great to be in contact with the family again. My email is ******@*****.co.uk.

Catherine

[eMail Address edited out by moderator to protect member from spam. To contact posting member please use the protected e-mail facility in your control panel. Or alternatively the PM facility (Personal Messaging). If poster still wishes he/she may restore the post to it's original form (and delete this help message).]

• Like 1

Hello Ian, I am Catherine's sister and live near Bedlington so if you do come up to visit do get in touch and we would be happy for you to stay. Our father and your grandfather were avid members of the Bedlington Cricket Team and I have very fond memories of being at the cricket field with them all.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello Threegee

Nice to meet you... (again !)

Thank you so much for the information about my Grandad. I have been searching for a while on the internet and even asking family friends as to where he is buried but all were unsure of the exact location.

I have many fond, great memories of him and from what I remember he was a well liked man around the town. He used to take me with him to get his tobacco from the local shop and it would take well over an hour due to the number of people coming over to say hello and to have a chat. He was great.

Now that I know where he is I will come to Bedlington, pay my respects to him and tell him that everything is good with Ian.

So thank you again for the information, it is really appreciated, and thank you for the kind words you said about him in your post they really mean a lot to me.

All the best

Ian

• 3 months later...

Sorry I cannot help with where he is burried Ian... But I remember growing up while Dr Brown was a big and well respected part of the community. I remember he would walk his dog around the town (A REALLY old Boxer with some kind of growth on its back! - if I remember correctly).

He would stop and talk to us as kids (I am 33 now) and I never heard a bad word said about the man! Everyone knew him and everyone always made a point of saying hello and asking him how he was. He was a great person and when he passed I remember many people in the town talking about it and about what a genuine miss he would be.

Sorry I cannot help with any of the detail, but I thought it is important that you hear how well he was regarded

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Dr Brown was a Gent, a truly lovely bloke who as many have said above was loved by the community. Happily I saw him more walking his dog than I did as a patient but he would stop and say hello when he saw you. It would be nice to see a memorial to him, he gave a lot to the Town of Bedlington.

• Like 2

Dr Brown was a Gent, a truly lovely bloke who as many have said above was loved by the community. Happily I saw him more walking his dog than I did as a patient but he would stop and say hello when he saw you. It would be nice to see a memorial to him, he gave a lot to the Town of Bedlington.

Yes I agree, an excellent idea, a memorial to someone who genuinely deserves it.

Might be worth mentioning here that the new cycle route which is going in will have 'statuette' markers along its route and we have suggested Dr Brown as one of the 'statues' for the Bedlington route. These will be profile cut outs in metal with full accreditation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might be worth mentioning here that the new cycle route which is going in will have 'statuette' markers along its route and we have suggested Dr Brown as one of the 'statues' for the Bedlington route. These will be profile cut outs in metal with full accreditation.

Hi everyone

Yes Dr Brown has been nominated for the Sustrans artwork bench portraits which will be going out for public vote next week (with luck). I would really love to find out a bit more about what he did in the town. I know he was a great Doctor for about 50 years, he was often seen with his dog (a boxer) and was well respected as well as being a fan of cricket.

I am preparing some information to go with each of the nominees and it would be really good to get a bit more on Dr Brown - all information really welcome.

Do reply via this website or you can find me at philippa dot mitchell at sustrans dot org dot uk (replace dots with . and at with @).

Thanks in advance for any information you can give on Dr Brown.

Also looking for similar information about James H Millne - what were his acheivements for the town?

Thanks so much

Philippa Mitchell

Assistant Area Manager, Sustrans NE

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian, although I had moved away long before your grandfather died I do remember him. He used to walk his crazy boxer dog, who I am quite sure was called Rory. We would call to Dr. Brown to say hello and Rory would almost pull him over in his excitement. My grandfather was very fond of Dr. Brown and we were all sorry to hear of his passing. So many of that generation are gone now, how we miss them. All the best ian. Pete

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now