Stunning Ham Sandwich

mercuryg

This is my recipe:

Get loaf of bread.

Cut two slices.

Butter one side each slice.

Smear one slice with English Mustard (only English; if you use French or German, or anything else, you will die.)

Cut slices of ham (make sure pig is dead) and place on slice of bread.

Put other slice on top.

Eat.

Do I win a fiver?

It's the quality of the bread that matters - must be just the right texture and have a crispy crust. None of your sliced heated dough.

Which raises the question as to who supplies Bedders best Bread? Always worth paying a bit extra for decent bread I think.

In Italia you'd have it sans mustard, but with a bit of mozarella garnished with rucola in a crispy roll. Much nicer in a warmer climate.

Which raises the question as to who supplies Bedders best Bread? Always worth paying a bit extra for decent bread I think.

With a risk of upsetting anyone by heading out of town... I would recommend (again) The Shop at Bomarsund (opposite Bomarsund club, kinda)... frestly baked Ciabatta, Foccacias et el, baked fresh by a real Sardinian... absolutley lovely scran for sandwiches, buffets and deli goods too. Worth the 3 minute drive...

Worth the 3 minute drive...

All very well if you have a snappy little red convertible at your disposal. I, unfortunately, am relegated to going downstairs and chewing on one of my chickens.

My favorite ham sandwich.....two slices of fresh white buttered bread place a couple of slices leg ham on bottom slice then get a bag of salted crisps put a good handful on t5op of ham then put top slice on crisps and squash down .......heaven ;);)

My favorite ham sandwich.....two slices of fresh white buttered bread place a couple of slices leg ham on bottom slice then get a bag of salted crisps put a good handful on t5op of ham then put top slice on crisps and squash down .......heaven ;);)

I second that one Brian, but can't get Smith's crisps with the little blue bag of salt!

You put mustard on ham! thats blasphemy! mustard is for beef not ham, ham needs pickle and cheese or a nice apple sauce.

What? You choose to desecrate the delicately poised flavours of ham with an aggressive twang of pickle? Are you mad? English mustard is ham's best friend. Cheese I can handle.

suppose you use mince beef in your shepards pies? :D

Why do you suppose that? I use shepherds, of course.

What? You choose to desecrate the delicately poised flavours of ham with an aggressive twang of pickle? Are you mad? English mustard is ham's best friend. Cheese I can handle.

Why do you suppose that? I use shepherds, of course.

what sort of english mustard do you use? i use colmans and that has a lot more "twang" than any pickle even the acidic cheap ones!

what sort of english mustard do you use? i use colmans and that has a lot more "twang" than any pickle even the acidic cheap ones!

It's a different sort of 'twang', monsta; you clearly have no palette for a great ham sarnie!

• 1 year later...

Just found this discussion and sad to say I am appalled at the lot of you! Mustard/apple sauce/pickle?????? Not once has anyone even mentioned the one thing that every Bedlington resident should be proud to put on a ham sarnie and that is good old Pease pud!

Just found this discussion and sad to say I am appalled at the lot of you! Mustard/apple sauce/pickle?????? Not once has anyone even mentioned the one thing that every Bedlington resident should be proud to put on a ham sarnie and that is good old Pease pud!

Seconded!

post-2129-0-76754200-1313435019_thumb.jp

Does that mean I get a months free with my next Asda deliveries?

my mrs makes the best peas puding i have ever tasted we both eat it with ham in beteen a sandwich , cant wait till the next lot is made.

Thanks bedies, how about the wifes recipe for the Pease Pud??

1 poundyellow split peas 2 large onions enough ham stock to cover peas put allin a large dish whith lid on put it in the ovenand let it cook for 2 to 3 hours untill it has all dissolved stir often after first hour do not let it go dry salt and pepper if needed hope you enjoy it happy eating

• Like 1

1 poundyellow split peas 2 large onions enough ham stock to cover peas put allin a large dish whith lid on put it in the ovenand let it cook for 2 to 3 hours untill it has all dissolved stir often after first hour do not let it go dry salt and pepper if needed hope you enjoy it happy eating

Thanks Bedies, do you have to steep the peas to get the gas out? as with beans

Thanks for the recipe! I`m going to give this a try. I`ll let you know how it turns out :D

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now