Stunning Ham Sandwich

mercuryg

Thanks! The split peas are winging their way to me as I write. I can't buy them here - only whole yellow peas with really tough skins - so I've arranged a delivery from England. You've set my mouth watering and I can't get pease pudding off my mind now. There'll be no pleasing me until I've tried this recipe. I'll let you know how I get on.

I have a vague recollection that my mother mixed a beaten egg and a !*!@# of butter into the warm pudding and put it back into the oven for a while. It could then be cut into slices and fried when it was cold. Anybody remember this in a recipe or am I going senile?

did you ever try to make some peas pudding ?.

Well, i finally made some pease pudding today and it turned out perfect (even if i say so myself) :D

I decided to steep the yellow split peas, added 1 large onion, just over a pint of stock (i just used Knorr stock cubes) then put it in the oven on gas mark 4 for 2 1/2 hours. I made sure to check on it every 30 minutes or so to give it a stir..and here`s the result!

pease-pudding.jpg?t=1314984509

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At last - and well worth the wait!! The split peas took ages to get here thanks to the Swedish customs who opened the parcel and investigated the contents. I guess 3 lb of split peas looks pretty much like 3000 Ecstasy tablets on an X-ray! I boiled the ham the night before and in honour of the occasion I even baked a batch of bread. I took half the 'pudding' straight from the oven and mixed in ½ beaten egg and a large kn?b of butter and left it to cool, as I have vague recollections of seeing this done as a child. Next morning I cut a thick slice and fried it in the fat from my bacon. Delicious!

Rating: 10/10 This has to be the sandwhich to beat all sandwiches.

PS It has to be the most expensive as well as the postage on the parcel was £18!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We got a ham from Bobby Cowells as we always do as part of the meat order for xmas. The head of the female department of this household decided to do something slightly different this year with it. Instead of using honey, she deep scored the ham and covered it with marmalade (orange) and s l o w r o a s t e d i t . It was absolutely gorgeous. Everybody kept going back to the ham, not the turkey, not the pork or the beef, that ham was to die for.

Edited by keith

''Everybody kept going back to the ham, not the turkey, not the pork or the beef, that ham was to die for.''

Any chance of getting the dripping for my sandwiches in the New Year Keith............

The wafer thin cut pack of value ham we had for Xmas dinner didn't have any............

post-23-0-70023100-1325240175_thumb.jpg

Be off with you scoundrel, I do not tollerate beggars. Edited by keith

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now