MsHair's Brushetta

Ms Hair

Mr Hair has been making chutney very similar to the one you described! He did his Hugh Fernley Whittingstall style. Yes the neighbours got 2 jars each! He added a roasted spice mixture containing ginger, chillies and lots of dried spices to half of it, I have to say that is nicer than the plainer stuff. I don't think I can get away wit the stuff meself like. Find the marrow skin too tough.

Another tip for a glut of tomatoes, make brushetta. Very popular with my Sunday dinner guests.

- Skin and de-seed and chop loads of tomatoes.

- put in a colander and sprinkle with salt to get excess water off.

- Add finely chopped garlic to taste. Season. Chuck some olive oil in and mix.

- Keep mixture in fridge overnight.

- drain off excess water and add finely chopped basil and red onion.

- serve on toasted nice bread thats been drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with a clove of garlic.

Have fun with it!

• Like 2

Guest mrsvic

Another tip for a glut of tomatoes, make brushetta. Very popular with my Sunday dinner guests.

A glut of tomatoes? What's your secret? Ours were planted in January and are still green... big though... Onions are none too happy either, still the size of spring onions... eek...

100s of chilis and peppers mind, if MrHair wants some for further chutney ventures...

Keep in polytunnel nice and hot. Snap off random bits of plant with no tomatoes on! Beginners luck I think. Got lots of green ones too. Loads of chillies thanks and even a butternut squash. Our onions aren't great. Thought they would be dead easy to grow. I was wrong. They are the size of small onions. Neglecting the garden in this weather though! and leek show on Saturday eeek!

butternut squash.

Wow!

Thought we were doing well with a pumpkin and a melon... that's reet fancy... a polytunnel has now been added to the Christmas list... after the chickens... who thought gardening would be the new rock and roll?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now