Petrie / Nicholson Family

Guest Guy

Have been researching my family history for years, and going back to the mid 1800's, many came from the Bedlington / Morpeth area.

Will be visiting Bedlington next week for the first time, just for a couple of days on my way through from Scotland to London. Hope to find a few old haunts !!

I know the Nicholson family lived at Sleekburn Cottage (on the Choppington Road near Bedlington and Barrington collieries) and I believe that address is still there. The Petrie's were Inn Keepers in Bedlington itself. Looking through the Census info, in 1841, the whole area was just listed as High Street, so not many clues, in 1851, there seem to be no actual addresses listed at all for Bedlington, but in 1861, an address was given. It is in Market Place, and looks like Howard 'something' (maybe Howard Arms ??) - Does this ring any bells with anyone ? It looks like it is between an adress called Kyles (or Wyles) Yard and the Turks Head Inn.

Also, one of the family (Isabella Petrie) is in Morpeth in 1861, also at an address called Turks Head Inn, in a road called Market Place, with a Bridge Street just up the road - Is this a coincidence ? Do both Morpeth and Bedlington have similarly named roads ?

I believe there is a very good records office in Morpeth and hope to find some interesting info there - If anyway has any guidence or tips on what I should look for, please drop me a line.

Thanks for any light that can be shed !

Guy

Guest missvic

word on the street is that the records office is temporarily closed in preparation for its move to the woodhorn museum in ashington at the end of the month (http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com)...

i could be wrong though... word on the street is often rubbish... it was argued on friday night that a huge leisure centre used to stand in atley park, surely a load of twaddle?

word on the street is that the records office is temporarily closed in preparation for its move to the woodhorn museum in ashington at the end of the month (http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com)...

i could be wrong though... word on the street is often rubbish... it was argued on friday night that a huge leisure centre used to stand in atley park, surely a load of twaddle?

Don't remember any leisure centre on Atley Park unless it was after 1966.

...it was argued on friday night that a huge leisure centre used to stand in atley park...

High Alumina cement again? :lol::lol:

Remember the Top Club?

I remember the origional Top club

It was me that flagged down the police car in the early hours and pointed out the gas coming through the paving stones. When the PC took out his portable radio and started transmitting directly over the leak I made my excuses and left - pronto!

The rest - as they say - is history! :rolleyes:

It was me that flagged down the police car in the early hours and pointed out the gas coming through the paving stones. When the PC took out his portable radio and started transmitting directly over the leak I made my excuses and left - pronto!

The rest - as they say - is history! :rolleyes:

I would have left as well, I believe there have been two more Top clubs since the original was destroyed the present being Jimmy Milne's old place of residence.

I would have left as well, I believe there have been two more Top clubs since the original was destroyed the present being Jimmy Milne's old place of residence.

And it's to be avoided like the plague.

And it's to be avoided like the plague.

I take it it's not very good then Denzel, the origional used to be a decent club. The Market place clubs still alright I was in there last time I was up there. Don't know about the station club havent been in there for years.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now