Synergy Fm

Care to elaborate a little there?

In an hypothetical sense of course ;)

Mr D,

I have only heard the basic overview presentations at the town council meetings but it seems one will mean retuning a radio for reception while the other is streamed over the net. Also one has a cap on commercial advertising while the other doesn't.

I stand to be corrected and maybe John W SNRG being the expert in this matter might like to elaborate?

Mr D,

I have only heard the basic overview presentations at the town council meetings but it seems one will mean retuning a radio for reception while the other is streamed over the net. Also one has a cap on commercial advertising while the other doesn't.

I stand to be corrected and maybe John W SNRG being the expert in this matter might like to elaborate?

Malcom.

I think the commercial cap you refer to is when a station is successful in obtaining a full time 5 year licence to broadcast.

To protect the advertising revenue of other local media eg. the likes of The Morpeth Herald or Newspost Leader etc. say, Ofcom state the income raised by advertising cannot exceed monies gathered from other fundings such as grants etc. In essence it`s a bit like match funding.

As to your first bit Malcom I can only really comment on SNRG`s intentions over the last 2 years:

We will be based in Bedlington (due to the kindness of a local businessman)

Perform 2 or 3 28 day test FM/online broadcasts

Apply for a 5 year fulltime licence

Put Bedlington at the centre for a change

Thanks to everyone for the supportive thoughts.

To protect the advertising revenue of other local media eg. the likes of The Morpeth Herald or Newspost Leader etc. say, Ofcom state the income raised by advertising cannot exceed monies gathered from other fundings such as grants etc. In essence it`s a bit like match funding.

Don't really get that bit John? Wouldn't advertising revenue pay for overheads and running costs going forward? The very nature of match funding means it would probably only be a one off shot to get something off the ground and unless it was huge couldn't really pay for on-going costings. A model like that means you will always have a need for some form of grant funding and in this day and age that is not a forgone conclusion.

The biggest threat to traditional media would seem to me to be the Web. Once the technology is in place that could easily deliver all forms of media into each home where consumers could pay for the bits they wanted.

Don't really get that bit John? Wouldn't advertising revenue pay for overheads and running costs going forward? The very nature of match funding means it would probably only be a one off shot to get something off the ground and unless it was huge couldn't really pay for on-going costings. A model like that means you will always have a need for some form of grant funding and in this day and age that is not a forgone conclusion.

The biggest threat to traditional media would seem to me to be the Web. Once the technology is in place that could easily deliver all forms of media into each home where consumers could pay for the bits they wanted.

I agree with your thoughts on the restrictions Malcolm. But stations do get by. eg. one we started in Alnwick (Lionheart Radio) is still going, even in these austere times.

The restrictions were set down in the original 1990 Broadcasting act & this has been amended recently

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/draft/em/ukdsiem_9780111488089_en.pdf

but as you can see by sect. 7.9 the advertising capping still applies.

Hopefully we will get to the point where we will have to consider this as a problem to overcome.

SNRG. What's going on here? Where has this Toast errr Koast sprung up from? Didn't even know you had any competition! And if this Toast has just sprung up, where has all the money come from in such a short time? As I know that you have been working hard on this project for quite a while now. Something just doesn't sit right here.

Try your hardest to get up an running before them, don't give up and good luck.

Thanks for your support Merlin. We appreciate it very much!

• 1 month later...

I have to say... I think all this talk of backstabbers and having a prefered option here is a little short sighted.

This thread was originally started over 14 months ago and things move on. Surely if Ultra and/ or Koast want to set up we should extend them the same enthusaistic support that we have to John W. SNRG... isn't that only fair?!

I have chipped in here before and supported the concept of setting up a radio station in Bedlington... but the nature of free commerce surely means that if ideas are put out there and not capitalised on quickly enough... some one will always come along with another variant of the idea and fill the void.

Good luck to all 3 of you... may the best man (or woman) win! :closed:;)

You and me too Pete!!!!! :wtf:

Summarising the press cuttings and information on all 3 organisations;

= They each intend to provide local radio content which will include or champion Bedlington

= Ultra Radio will transmit from Bedlington, although the studio will be in Ashington.

= Synergy will have studios in, as well as transmit from Bedlington.

= Koast Radio is hoping to be in Bedlington. Latest Facebook posts suggest a premises delay - but we should know in less than 1 week as they are due to launch on 1st November.

So yes it seems that up to now, there are three groups which feel that a Community Radio Service would be of benefit to the area. They won't all be able to be "on air" [i.e. on FM licenced by Ofcom] at the same time though. So perhaps people should be able to listen to each of them in turn.

Summarising the press cuttings and information on all 3 organisations;

= They each intend to provide local radio content which will include or champion Bedlington

= Ultra Radio will transmit from Bedlington, although the studio will be in Ashington.

= Synergy will have studios in, as well as transmit from Bedlington.

= Koast Radio is hoping to be in Bedlington. Latest Facebook posts suggest a premises delay - but we should know in less than 1 week as they are due to launch on 1st November.

So yes it seems that up to now, there are three groups which feel that a Community Radio Service would be of benefit to the area. They won't all be able to be "on air" [i.e. on FM licenced by Ofcom] at the same time though. So perhaps people should be able to listen to each of them in turn.

Will Koast be broadcasting over the Internet?

Will Koast be broadcasting over the Internet?

From info in the newspapers, Yes, to begin with they will be an Online Only station. Next year, the service should also be available on FM during short term broadcasts - or RSL's - in official radio speak.

Ultra Radio similarly plans to launch online on 1st June 2011, followed by a 28-day RSL (so also on FM) from 8th June 2011 - 5th July 2011.

Dear All

I would like to thank everyone for the recent posts to the thread I began all those many months ago. I`m rather taken aback by the flurry of activety.

I`m sorry if it appeared to some that time has gone by without anything seemingly happening with our project. But that could not be further from the truth.

Myself Neal & Colin have been endlessly applying to funding streams to get Synergy off the ground. But it seems we have not been as lucky as some.

You may remember our luck changed for the better, about a year ago, when we were kindly offered premises in Bedlington This spurred us on to keep going. For that we are so grateful.

My original reason for posting tonight was to tell you that we would like to hold an open public meeting sometime in November to discuss our project.

We would probably try to get the Salvation Army hall.

Would you to come?

Keep the comments coming please.

• Like 2

Thanks for joining the dots nellington. It's a bit like waiting for the X33 to the Toon, we have waited 30 years for something like this then 3 turn up at the same time!

Joking aside I can only wish each one well and hope at least one makes it to completion.

Malcolm.

The driver of the first X33 that turned up hopes that yourself & others can attend our public meeting in November.

For everyones convenience the Salvation Army Hall has a bus stop right outside & I will stop. Promise! :lol:

• Like 1