Synergy Fm

why does it cost £11,000? could you not just use the radio at ashington college! seems a tad bit expensive for a local radio station?

Monsta.

It`s an expensive business.

It costs £500 alone just to apply to Ofcom for the 28 day licence. Even then you might fail to get one!

Other licences have to be paid for the daily use of music to; ie. PRS, PPL & MCPS as well as the Radio & Telegraphy licence for the use of the transmission equipment.

As for using the college in Ashington; surely you are not suggesting that Synergy FM, broadcasting to SE Northumberland, should be based some where other than here in Bedlington!

• Like 1

Monsta.

It`s an expensive business.

It costs £500 alone just to apply to Ofcom for the 28 day licence. Even then you might fail to get one!

Other licences have to be paid for the daily use of music to; ie. PRS, PPL & MCPS as well as the Radio & Telegraphy licence for the use of the transmission equipment.

As for using the college in Ashington; surely you are not suggesting that Synergy FM, broadcasting to SE Northumberland, should be based some where other than here in Bedlington!

Why not base it in ashington if its going to cut costs? :D

Why not base it in ashington if its going to cut costs? :D

As I`ve pointed out licencing is a major cost factor for any test broadcast.

We want the station to become a permanent feature for our area. So basing it at the college is not an option.

In fact that would increase costs. Remember this:

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/2009/08/bedlington-base-for-county-radio/

The kind offer of a long term Bedlington studio area, by a local businessman, was an offer that could not be refused.

I think our town deserves to have this service based in it. I believe it would greatly benefit the local community & businesses alike, putting Bedlington at the centre of something positive for a change!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

SNRG update.

As I mentioned in a previous post we sent out numerous letters to try & attract funding for a test broadcast.

Started well with Pegswood & Newbiggin councils giving/pledging support.

Rejections from Blyth & Seaton Valley councils on the grounds of the radio project was not based in, or primarily for, their respective areas.

Other council funding applications, including Bedlington TCs, pending. As the station will be based in Bedlington I hope this might help when we are considered by them.

41 letters sent to County Councillors: 3 replies.

Our NCC Community Chest Scheme application, for £10k has been rejected this time but will be reconsidered in the next round.

Apologies for not being able to give a very positive report back.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi thought I`d say hello & introduce myself.

I`ve been involved with local media, in the form of Hospital radio/tv, & community radio as well as media education for more years than I`m willing to admit! I passionately believe in local TV & Radio for local people

You might of noticed the latest news on Bedders.co.uk, about the possibility of a Bedlington based radio station. What do you think? Do you think it`s got appeal? Would you listen if we manage to raise the many £Ks needed? Have you got a spare £57k? If that`s a yes I can come around tonight!

Look forward to your comments on this thread.

John W.

SNRG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

South Northumberland Radio Group update.

Following our funding requests to Town/Parish Councils in our proposed broadcast footprint, we were requested to attend a number of their meetings to enlighten them on our radio project.

As a result of this Newbiggin & West Bedlington Councils have kindly pledged £300 each, with at least one other about to do so. Pegswood, as previously reported, have already done so.

Other larger bids are being processed at the minute. So we are getting there, slowly but surely!

If anyone has any fund raising ideas please feel free to contact me. It would be great to hear from you.

Or indeed if, like the councils, you are part of an organisation who would like to know more about Synergy FM, let me know & one of us will gladly come & chat to you.

post-2129-081736600 1281208394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

whats £900 off 57k?

£11k is the first amount we are aiming for to stage a test broadcast. £57k is the estimated cost to get us to being able to apply for a full time licence.

Your words of encouragement & support are valued as ever Monsta!

• Like 2

£11k is the first amount we are aiming for to stage a test broadcast. £57k is the estimated cost to get us to being able to apply for a full time licence.

Your words of encouragement & support are valued as ever Monsta!

do you not think its an insult that they offered £300 each when they can waste thousands on rubbish statues and cycle paths that never get used!

a radio station would be a much better use of that money!

;)

do you not think its an insult that they offered £300 each when they can waste thousands on rubbish statues and cycle paths that never get used!

a radio station would be a much better use of that money!

;)

£300 is the maximum amount Parish/Town Councils have given us so maybe it is a capped amount.

We are grateful for any amount given as it gets us that little bit nearer to that test broadcast for SE. Northumberland with Bedlington, for once, being at the centre of it all!

We know times are hard but we think the project is achievable & believe the benefits for our area, especially Bedlington, are immense!

I`m heartened by the fact you also recognise this. That sort of support has kept us going over the last 2 years.

Many thanks.

• Like 2

what about setting up an internet radio station first just to see if it actually gets listeners? save you loads on licences and equipment! ;)

plus is'nt fm radio being turned off soon? as apart of the digital switch over!

what about setting up an internet radio station first just to see if it actually gets listeners? save you loads on licences and equipment! ;)

plus is'nt fm radio being turned off soon? as apart of the digital switch over!

We discussed the internet radio idea a while ago & decided we didn`t want Synergy to begin life as a souless automated, impersonal music station like many others. Music will be an important part of our output. But just as important will be the open, community participation aspect.

Also, done properly, stand alone Internet Radio is not cheap & is also a nightmare to administer. When we do an RSL it becomes much easier: it has a one off fee for the length of the licence.

Happily the Govt. has recently made it clear that FM is not going to be turned off for community broadcasters. The Metro radio`s etc of this world will lose it only when 52% or more of the country has bought a digital set.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Keep `em coming!

Edited by John W. SNRG

John W... you are to be commended for trying to bring some life to Bedlington!! Well Done!

Here are a few ideas on fundraising that you could consider. Apologies if some are repeated earlier in the thread, it is just a brain dump!

1) Ask for a £1 donation from everyone in Bedlington... perhaps some local press could help you publicise it?

2) Collect clothes, brick-a-brac or similar and sell from one of the empty shop units on the front street - Goodness knows there are enough of them!

3) Have the 28 day pilot sponsored by a local business... ie. Synergy FM brought to you exclusively by Bills Pet Supplies etc?

4) An event... could you use the market square for a late summer event. The opening and the lights being turned on there attracted a a lot of people. Maybe a few bands, stalls etc?

5) Donations website... using PayPal for simplicity could help people to donate smaller amounts

6) Get some local schools involved in the preparatory work - This could help to raise the profile of the project and allow you to generate some PR through local press etc as well as adding something to the community

7) An Auction - If local businesses don't want to donate cash they could offer services or products for auction?

Just a few ideas.... if I think of any more I will post them later.

Good Luck!!!

• Like 2

John W... you are to be commended for trying to bring some life to Bedlington!! Well Done!

Here are a few ideas on fundraising that you could consider. Apologies if some are repeated earlier in the thread, it is just a brain dump!

1) Ask for a £1 donation from everyone in Bedlington... perhaps some local press could help you publicise it?

2) Collect clothes, brick-a-brac or similar and sell from one of the empty shop units on the front street - Goodness knows there are enough of them!

3) Have the 28 day pilot sponsored by a local business... ie. Synergy FM brought to you exclusively by Bills Pet Supplies etc?

4) An event... could you use the market square for a late summer event. The opening and the lights being turned on there attracted a a lot of people. Maybe a few bands, stalls etc?

5) Donations website... using PayPal for simplicity could help people to donate smaller amounts

6) Get some local schools involved in the preparatory work - This could help to raise the profile of the project and allow you to generate some PR through local press etc as well as adding something to the community

7) An Auction - If local businesses don't want to donate cash they could offer services or products for auction?

Just a few ideas.... if I think of any more I will post them later.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for your words of support Jim. I`ll pass on your thoughts at our next steering group meeting.

Denzel. I have no problems with that at all. Many thanks. Keep it coming!

Just be careful John, I know from personal experience just how Hamburger Pimp works, he'll have your job before you know it.

Additionally, I'll definitely be tuning in if you're going to be playing some Bob Seger. 'The Famous Final Scene' would be nice. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

We discussed the internet radio idea a while ago & decided we didn`t want Synergy to begin life as a souless automated, impersonal music station like many others. Music will be an important part of our output. But just as important will be the open, community participation aspect.

Also, done properly, stand alone Internet Radio is not cheap & is also a nightmare to administer. When we do an RSL it becomes much easier: it has a one off fee for the length of the licence.

Happily the Govt. has recently made it clear that FM is not going to be turned off for community broadcasters. The Metro radio`s etc of this world will lose it only when 52% or more of the country has bought a digital set.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Keep `em coming!

I`ve just been reading about a radio station `Koast FM` who own studio premises in Bedlington. Are you aware of this? They`ve just `secured a £10,000 grant from a national funding body to help pay studio and equipment costs, and expects to receive a further £20,000 to £25,000 in the next couple of months` and `West Bedlington Town Council has donated £500`

Is SNRG associated with Koast FM? If not, looks like someone has got in first! :angry:

• Like 1

SNRG. What's going on here? Where has this Toast errr Koast sprung up from? Didn't even know you had any competition! And if this Toast has just sprung up, where has all the money come from in such a short time? As I know that you have been working hard on this project for quite a while now. Something just doesn't sit right here.

Try your hardest to get up an running before them, don't give up and good luck.

SNRG. What's going on here? Where has this Toast errr Koast sprung up from? Didn't even know you had any competition! And if this Toast has just sprung up, where has all the money come from in such a short time? As I know that you have been working hard on this project for quite a while now. Something just doesn't sit right here.

Try your hardest to get up an running before them, don't give up and good luck.

Merlin, the difference seems to be in the business and delivery models employed by each.