Synergy Fm

Hi thought I`d say hello & introduce myself.

I`ve been involved with local media, in the form of Hospital radio/tv, & community radio as well as media education for more years than I`m willing to admit! I passionately believe in local TV & Radio for local people

You might of noticed the latest news on Bedders.co.uk, about the possibility of a Bedlington based radio station. What do you think? Do you think it`s got appeal? Would you listen if we manage to raise the many £Ks needed? Have you got a spare £57k? If that`s a yes I can come around tonight!

Look forward to your comments on this thread.

John W.

SNRG

• Like 3

Thanks HP.

One "Maybe" & a "Yes" from your good self. Not a bad start I `spose.

John.

Still need some funding though, I've got 57p to get you started

• Like 1

Hello!

To introduce myself too...

I'm Rob, the Station Manager for South Northumberland Radio Group, and I've been involved in Media for what feels like an eternity already. I am currently working with transplanUK - providing broadcast systems engineering for projects such as 'Synergy' throughout the UK, have worked in radio stations in Alnwick and Warrington and have decided to 'go back' into education too - so I'm doing my final year in Media Production (TV and Radio) at Sunderland University.... and so here we are, basically one day I thought why not get a community radio station for our area? A couple of weeks later we had the team together for it's first meeting, and we have a fantastic management team at the helm. It comprises of Colin Heathcote our Chairman, myself, Neal Younger our Secretary and Acting Financial Controller and of course you've already met John right here on the forum.

It would be excellent to hear what you would like from a Station for South East Northumberland, and I'll gladly take these on board as we review our current Business Plan. Also - if you would like to get involved - I would suggest keeping an eye on www.snrgroup.co.uk (It's down this evening for server maintainence) - and we'll announce opportunities soon.

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i love local radio and what better place to have a new one? i recently did inerviews and live songs for 2 community radio stations.. ne1fm and my favourute being lionheart up at alnwick.. and since never stopped listening to paul sucksmiths show up there.. he manages to grab lots of live musicians in the studio too .. so looking forward to see how bedlington radio will turn out :) Good Luck with it all ..

• Like 1

i love local radio and what better place to have a new one? i recently did inerviews and live songs for 2 community radio stations.. ne1fm and my favourute being lionheart up at alnwick.. and since never stopped listening to paul sucksmiths show up there.. he manages to grab lots of live musicians in the studio too .. so looking forward to see how bedlington radio will turn out :) Good Luck with it all ..

Hi. Thanks for the message of support. Re. Lionheart: Myself & another SNRG colleague were original steering group members, seeing it through from day one to the successful fulltime licence.

It`s a not well known fact that the first two LHR meetings were actually held in Morpeth. My other SNRG chums were also involved. One of them being a director for a time.

Look forward to having you on board!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so you on air yet?

Monsta.

No not yet. We would like to do one of our 28 day test broadcasts on the lead up to Xmas.

We have the studio area. What we need is money.

We are currently extremely busy writing numerous applications to various funding organisations. Unfortunately without any success so far. Times are hard!

So if anyone has any ideas how to raise a few grand we would love to hear from you!

Be rest assured when we are about to go on air you will know about it! :)

John.

Monsta.

No not yet. We would like to do one of our 28 day test broadcasts on the lead up to Xmas.

We have the studio area. What we need is money.

We are currently extremely busy writing numerous applications to various funding organisations. Unfortunately without any success so far. Times are hard!

So if anyone has any ideas how to raise a few grand we would love to hear from you!

Be rest assured when we are about to go on air you will know about it! :)

John.

will the station have a genre or just play the top 20 over and over like metro and real do? (exept when its guess the year or phone in requests!) :lol:

don't think it's the most legal way but you could try the tsb + ski masks and a couple of shot guns! :D

ps get a good get away driver! :lol:

will the station have a genre or just play the top 20 over and over like metro and real do? (exept when its guess the year or phone in requests!) :lol:

Following extensive research into the demographics of our intended broadcast footprint we have compiled a playlist that will see music from the 60s through to present day played throughout the day.

There will be music for everyone targeted at various times of the day. With a great deal of speech input from local, individuals, interest groups & organisations.

• 1 month later...

If money is the real problem then there are other ways of raising the cash other than holding a begging bowl out to uncaring politicians.

I think that lots of people and enterprises would be prepared to tip-in a bit if the correct financial structure was in place, and they could see how the money was going to be spent. No mega-donations, just thousands of small ones.

There are several ways this could be acomplished on a proper legal footing.

And, as for would it fly; well, hasn't the last week shown that there are thousands of motivated people who care about their town and will get behind anything which busts the status quo?

If money is the real problem then there are other ways of raising the cash other than holding a begging bowl out to uncaring politicians.

I think that lots of people and enterprises would be prepared to tip-in a bit if the correct financial structure was in place, and they could see how the money was going to be spent. No mega-donations, just thousands of small ones.

There are several ways this could be acomplished on a proper legal footing.

And, as for would it fly; well, hasn't the last week shown that there are thousands of motivated people who care about their town and will get behind anything which busts the status quo?

Like the idea threegee. I would welcome more ideas `cos I`ve run out of them! I sent the begging bowl out last week!

• 2 months later...

SNRG update.

We believe that approximately £11,000 would be the cost of providing our 1st test broadcast.

Prior to Xmas I wrote to every County Councillor, Parish & Town Council, in our proposed broadcast footprint, to see if they might help us financially. 50+ letters.

Following our attendance at Pegswood Parish Council last Monday, a donation arrived through my letter box two days later.

Thank you Pegswood. Excellent start!

Hopefully lots more to come!

• Like 1

Why don't you write to local business and offer them free advertising in the first year to the value of any contribution? In hard times that has to be an easier proposition than an outright gift.

Plus of course an entry on the eternal roll of honour of those that got our community radio off the ground.

It would be as interesting to see who didn't appear on that as who did! smile.gif

In fact stick the proposition up here too. Andy will doubtless run your display ads on the banner engine.

SNRG update.

We believe that approximately £11,000 would be the cost of providing our 1st test broadcast.

Prior to Xmas I wrote to every County Councillor, Parish & Town Council, in our proposed broadcast footprint, to see if they might help us financially. 50+ letters.

Following our attendance at Pegswood Parish Council last Monday, a donation arrived through my letter box two days later.

Thank you Pegswood. Excellent start!

Hopefully lots more to come!

why does it cost £11,000? could you not just use the radio at ashington college! seems a tad bit expensive for a local radio station?

• Like 1

Why don't you write to local business and offer them free advertising in the first year to the value of any contribution? In hard times that has to be an easier proposition than an outright gift.

Plus of course an entry on the eternal roll of honour of those that got our community radio off the ground.

It would be as interesting to see who didn't appear on that as who did! smile.gif

In fact stick the proposition up here too. Andy will doubtless run your display ads on the banner engine.

Thanks threegee. This is something we would go for if we acquired a five year, full time licence.

At the minute we can only commit as far ahead as the 28 day test RSL broadcast. Then at least one more after six months, before applying for the big one.

Please keep you suggestions coming though. They are always welcome, as I have run out of ideas to raise funding.