Tv Adverts

Cympil

Guess the advert, who starred in the advert, anything ad related goes here!

I will start us off with an easy one :D

Which tv advert had the slogan '"You'll never put a better bit of butter on your knife?"

Wasn't Country Life a rather up-market mag? :D

There are websites devoted to this sort of thing.

A few weeks back I surfed onto one which has been trying to establish for yonks the insurance company from way back in the 50's 60's that advertised "get the strength of the ... around you" with accompanying knock on the wall of a plywood castle. Everyone of an age can remember the ad but no one can rememeber the (long taken over) insurance outfit that produced the ad. There's a lesson in marketing in this! :D

Anyway, can anyone remember what the very first TV advert in the North East was? I can remember it on Tyne Tees on the opening night in on January 15th 1959 . This moment has probably passed into the mists of history. So doubtless - like many other things - it's up to Bedlington.co.uk to record the detail for posterity

I was in the privileged position (as a child) to have a bang up-to-date Ekco TV in our sitting room with a tuner that could receive channel 8. It was a non-event for most of Bedlington (including my parents, as I witnessed it alone) as most of the then TV's had to be converted for ITV with "turret tuners" and converter boxes in the subsequent months and years. So the TTTV adience on the opening evening must have been quite small. But shortly after that the growth of households with TV in our town was explosive.

I to watched the opening night of TTTV and the only advert that I can remember was for Sharps Toffee, I also remember watching Broderick Crawford 10 4 over and out, not sure if it was the opening program but it definitely was on, on the opening night. I seem to remember the opening ceremony was about 6.30, or 7.00.

I to watched the opening night of TTTV and the only advert that I can remember was for Sharps Toffee, I also remember watching Broderick Crawford 10 4 over and out, not sure if it was the opening program but it definitely was on, on the opening night. I seem to remember the opening ceremony was about 6.30, or 7.00.

Amazing, you're very nearly right Pete! Toffee for sure, but it was more local than Sharps - Welch's Toffee. Were they just down the road from City Road in Byker? If so not a too difficult sell for the TTTV ad rep. :) Maybe the business association was even closer, enabling them to secure the "sweet spot"? ;)

I recall that I used to go to school with a cousin of the proprietary family, though I couldn't class him as a friend as he was in a different year, and memorable for being disabled and getting around everywhere on a tricycle - which he did at considerable speed. I think that actress Denise Welch could possibly be related too.

I used to be able to recall the second ad too. If only it had been ten years ago... but I've now forgotten. :D

Of course this wasn't just the first TV ad. in the region, it was the first broadcast ad. of any description. The only broadcast ads. prior to that came from Radio Luxembourg; pirate broadcasting was unheard of!

Your recollection of the schedule is better than mine though. All I can remember is the opening sequence of Robin Hood; probably after being bored by the opening ceremony bit. Anyway that is now documented in more than one place - including here: http://www.transdiff.../firstnight.php

10-4 :lol:

-----------------------

Update: Further East than Byker it seems, and the only reference to location I can find on the web (and very few references to the sweets even!) - together with an oh dear! :(

J Welch & Sons, the North Shields-based confectionery factory, has closed with the loss of 35 jobs. 25-Apr-2000

There have been toffee factories at Byker in the past by the looks of it; hence my likely source of confusion.

Your recollection of the schedule is better than mine though. All I can remember is the opening sequence of Robin Hood;

Ah well I knew it was toffee, following the link that you supplied I know see that the program I was thinking of was, Highway Patrol (Broderick Graford). Robin Hood there's a blast from the past, if I remember correctly the signature tune sold a lot of records.

One to ponder on, what was the first Bedlington business to advertise on TTTV? I am sure that you know the answer to that question but does anyone else?

Your recollection of the schedule is better than mine though. All I can remember is the opening sequence of Robin Hood;

Ah well I knew it was toffee, following the link that you supplied I know see that the program I was thinking of was, Highway Patrol (Broderick Graford). Robin Hood there's a blast from the past, if I remember correctly the signature tune sold a lot of records.

One to ponder on, what was the first Bedlington business to advertise on TTTV? I am sure that you know the answer to that question but does anyone else?

!*!@# Heaps'R'Us????????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrsvic

Complete the lyrics to name the product being advertised:

"Florida's horrider than Whitley Bay,

No ______ ____ _____ in the USA"

McEwans Best Scotch?

Nice place... shame about the beer?

• 2 years later...

Pete.

Just stumbled upon this thread.

This website might be of interest:

http://www.transdiff...g/tmc/cityroad/

My first recollections of TTTV are the One O`clock Show live from City Road studios.

That was the day I was bitten by the TV/Radio production bug which shaped the rest of my life.

Now our local independent TV station comes from a shoebox in Gateshead!

Edited by John W. SNRG

Pete.

Just stumbled upon this thread.

This website might be of interest:

http://www.transdiff...g/tmc/cityroad/

My first recollections of TTTV are the One O`clock Show live from City Road studios.

That was the day I was bitten by the TV/Radio production bug which shaped the rest of my life.

Now our local independent TV station comes from a shoebox in Gateshead!

Just checked that link John W its fantastic, the opening night schedule brings back memories. Threegee mentioned Robin Hood and it was indeed the first program. Highway Patrol was the program that I was thinking of but one that did bring back memories was Double your Money hosted by Hughie Green, you could buy the board game in the fifties and I remember playing it with some friends.

One program that I do remember from the fifties and I am not sure if it was on the commercial channels or BBC, was a program called The Grove family, one of the main characters was Granny Grove,do you or anyone remember this program?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now